C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
What a ludicrous attempt at trying to reinforce your argument. There were 28 other teams that did, so what if there weren't any CHLers taken among the 21 players collectively drafted by these three teams?

Then clearly you didnt read the rest.
That does reinforce the fact that last year was the worst year for the CHL in the draft for the past 10 years in players taken.
Its just one point. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Spezza in 2001?
Bobby Ryan in 2005?
JVR in 2007?
Ryan Murray in 2012?

Well i stand corrected. 12 years since the last forward though and Byfield might be the best prospect of them all other than maybe Eichel. He'll be in thr NHL for sure, he's already almost too good for junior.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Then clearly you didnt read the rest.
That does reinforce the fact that last year was the worst year for the CHL in the draft for the past 10 years in players taken.
Its just one point. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I read it, I'm pointing at that this particular fact you chose is of no value. I'm not sure how the actions of three random teams reinforces anything. Some teams drafted the majority of their players from CHL teams. These facts mean nothing on a standalone basis.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I read it, I'm pointing at that this particular fact you chose is of no value. I'm not sure how the actions of three random teams reinforces anything. Some teams drafted the majority of their players from CHL teams. These facts mean nothing on a standalone basis.

Thats why they go along with other points in the overall point. apparently this is really difficult to understand.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Thats why they go along with other points in the overall point. apparently this is really difficult to understand.

Are you counting the players that currently play in the CHL that are already drafted? Compare that to other leagues and see where the CHL stacks up. I'd be interested to see how that turns out. Canadiens have a choice to go the CHL or the NCAA routes. I would suspect that Canadien players would also have options overseas prior to being drafted but choose to commit to a CHL program. Even European players tend to prefer to develop their game on North American ice in the CHL. Most CHL teams have 2 euros in their system with almost ever other having 1. Why would they do that if it wasn't a better league to continue their development?

Hell, even Auston Matthews chose to go to Europe rather then play USHL his draft year.

I think it would be hard to deny that the CHL is a far better development league then any other in the world despite what the drafted numbers were from the 2019 draft. It's all cyclical, but other leagues fail to attract top talent away from the CHL even know there's nothing preventing top canadien talent to go elsewhere.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Are you counting the players that currently play in the CHL that are already drafted? Compare that to other leagues and see where the CHL stacks up. I'd be interested to see how that turns out. Canadiens have a choice to go the CHL or the NCAA routes. I would suspect that Canadien players would also have options overseas prior to being drafted but choose to commit to a CHL program. Even European players tend to prefer to develop their game on North American ice in the CHL. Most CHL teams have 2 euros in their system with almost ever other having 1. Why would they do that if it wasn't a better league to continue their development?

Hell, even Auston Matthews chose to go to Europe rather then play USHL his draft year.

I think it would be hard to deny that the CHL is a far better development league then any other in the world despite what the drafted numbers were from the 2019 draft. It's all cyclical, but other leagues fail to attract top talent away from the CHL even know there's nothing preventing top canadien talent to go elsewhere.

USHL wasnt an option because of his bday
I'm just saying the CHL is not substantially better, but it is still really good.
Multiple GM's talked about the growth of other leagues at drafts
CHL-Draft-Picks-2010-19.png

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Looking very good this season, I hope that he keeps it up and gets a shot at the WJC.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Nope, Sweden is when you see the numbers compared to Canada in registered players and how many superstars they've produced.

Yeah.. Im not buying that at all.

Canada's biggest and best stars (McDavid, Mckinnon, Crosby, Taveres, Hall, Marchand, Marner, Stamkos ect ect ect) still are completely dwarfing the stars that we see from Sweden. You have to go back 3 years to even find a single Swede in the top 10 scoring.

And Canada could likely ice 3 full teams at the Olympics that would all have a chance at winning if they mix and matched them together properly - the list of good players that never go to the Olympic tournament for Canada is basically absurd. Its not that much different than team USA's basketball team, although not to the same extreme degree.

The Swedes still have lots to be proud of hockey wise, but in no way are they a better hockey development country than Canada.

We have so many registered hockey players because its our national sport, and therefore there are kids of all shapes, sizes, and talent levels playing the game. It doesnt change the fact that we are still producing the best NHL players, and by FAR the most of them. And Byfield looks like hes going to join the long list of great former CHL players that are already dominating the league.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
USHL wasnt an option because of his bday
I'm just saying the CHL is not substantially better, but it is still really good.
Multiple GM's talked about the growth of other leagues at drafts
CHL-Draft-Picks-2010-19.png

Care to show the other leagues numbers? Fairly certain they would tell you that the CHL is still far and away the biggest producer of NHL talent. Right? I would say that producing approx half of the eligible players each year is pretty substantial for one league, imo.......

Its awesome that the other leagues are catching up, really good to see the USHL in particular becoming a huge talent feeder for the NHL. But lets just not get stupid (not saying you) and pretend like its ever a bad thing for a prospect to be in the CHL, the best development league in the world. By the numbers, its still by FAR producing the most NHLers (including many of the very best), and thats not changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Again, it is useless. What do the drafting preferences of three teams in one draft prove? If it was part of a broader trend of certain teams purposely avoiding CHL players maybe it would be an interesting point. Boston took 3 CHLers in the first round a few years ago, but this proves nothing with respect to the quality of the league and neither does the fact that three teams abstained from drafting CHL players one time.

Last edited:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Im not dismissive, it is a good developmental league, but not substanitally over everyone else like you claim.
also you should do some research

Last years draft was the worst for the CHL in the last 10 years, and it was the 5th consecutive year for it dropping with players taken.
Boston winnipeg and Deroit didnt draft a single player from the CHL on 2019. Not a single ONE.
2nd worst year for the WHL in the past 10, worst year for the OHL in the past 10.

A big chunk of that is because it took tgat long for most NHL teams to figure out how the CBA is designed to go after Euro/NCAA path players with picks after the mid 40s.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
It’s kind of ridiculous to point out 1 off year and try to infer that there is some sort of trend going on.

After and “off year” in 2004, the OHL provided the #1 and/or #2 picks for the next 8 years. This year, the OHL alone could very possibly have 10 1st rounders.

As a whole, the CHL is the best hands down, and 202 will be another banner year for its prospects.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Up to 18pts in 8gp and +12.

I was at the game this eve. Bit of a weird game and each team had like 8 penalties, so the flow was almost non existent, but Byfield picked up 2pts +2 and was the 3rd star in 5-4 loss. He laid few good hits too, and it was one of the most physical games that Ive ever seen him play.

Biggest takeaway is that this kids 2 way game is going to become a bigger and bigger focal point as the year goes on. It felt like he didnt lose a faceoff all night (he was 12/17 in actuality but he didnt lose a single one cleanly from what I saw). And he was used in every conceivable situation all night long, and was by far Sudbury's best and most important player.

I know Im obviously biased, but hes legit the best player to ever put on a Wolves jersey (and we have a rich history despite many of the last years being a bit rough). Byfield is a next level prospect - I dont even know who to compare him to at this point because his overall package is unlike anyone before, tbh. Hes got the Crosby like blue collar work ethic, and while they have different offensive tools, they have a similar non flashy yet highly efficient approach to the game. Higher hockey IQ fans will appreciate the little things he does all over the ice, where some may wrongly use the lack of flash as a reason to question his offensive ceiling.

But then he also has Malkins size and reach, and about the same level of physicality (not Lindros level - but also not a player you want to piss off and make angry). And his speed, agility and edgework may be the best we've ever seen in a player his size before, Im drawing a real blank there on the comparable. Its probably what will make him nearly impossible to handle in his prime. He will be ranked in the very upper echelon of skaters in the NHL, no doubt at all in my mind.

And maybe its just me, but I cant help but notice how and engaged he is while talking with the coaching staff, which always seems to start the moment he gets back to bench from his shift. Take note because this is a true student of the game if Ive ever seen one.

This is not an entitled hot shot prospect from the GTA from an affluent upper middle class family. If not for outside sponsors to help financially, he might not have ever made it to this level.

This is a kid from a humble upbringing that is making the most of his opportunity to set his family up for life. And I see him fighting for every square inch for his entire hockey career.

Im praying to the hockey gods every night that the Sens have suffered enough and get blessed with a gift like this. Whatever lucky team gets him is getting a real franchise center and a perfect ambassador to be the face of the team.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Points wisely, a meh 2 secondary assist game, otherwise impressive game; 5 SOG, 12/17 in the dot, +2 (in a 4-3 loss game)
Points wisely Quinton has cooled down a bit (as was expected i guess) -> only 2 points in his last 2 games.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Good to see such a level of prospect. His role like PK Subban will be much greater then playing Hockey, and he'll help make our game more diverse in an increasingly diverse Canada hopefully so more visible minority kids get involved in Hockey like they have following the PK era. Hopefully a Canadian team gets him. In such a rich white persons sport, it makes a huge difference seeing a kid like this succeed, especially for immigrant kids, they see a black player or Asian player or Indian player, it's like wow, someone like me can make it.

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Good to see such a level of prospect. His role like PK Subban will be much greater then playing Hockey, and he'll help make our game more diverse in an increasingly diverse Canada hopefully so more visible minority kids get involved in Hockey like they have following the PK era. Hopefully a Canadian team gets him. In such a rich white persons sport, it makes a huge difference seeing a kid like this succeed, especially for immigrant kids, they see a black player or Asian player or Indian player, it's like wow, someone like me can make it.

I don't get the fixation for race. Its more and more non-white players but its less and less poor kids - thats the real problem.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I don't get the fixation for race. Its more and more non-white players but its less and less poor kids - thats the real problem.
Yep. Wealth has always been the biggest obstacle for kids to get into hockey, especially at high levels. I enjoy seeing hockey picked up by other subcultures within Canada, but until we find ways to make it more accessible to anyone below the upper-middle class, we won't see the game reach its growth potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad