C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Sudbury will only go as far as Byfield/Levin and Murray carry them.

They really need help on the back end/in net. Purboo is not the answer.

Entertaining to watch right now though.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I've had him #1 since pre-OHL draft - even when his pace inevitably falls off, the rarity of the skillset as a pure center is just too damn high to pass on, even for terrific talents like Lafreniere and Raymond (the latter of whom I actually prefer at 2.)

He's like if Evgeni Artyukhin had the ability to read, react to, and predict the flow of the game. If that doesn't sound like a compliment, go look up some clips of Artyukhin - along with Lindros, one of the great physical freaks in league history. (For reference.)

Reactions: irunthepeg

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I said it August I'd give it 25 games before making a call on Byfield v Lafreniere. I'd say it's pretty even now with a slight lean in Byfield's direction. Kid is looking damn impressive.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Think Sudbury should pick up a good enough starter and I think they're bound to make the finals.

But I think Byfield for sure makes this year's World Junior team.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
One thing to keep an eye on with respect to Byfield as the season unfolds. His shooting percentage is currently at 35% (7 goals on 20 shots). By comparison, Lafreniere is currently sitting at 10% (4 goals on 39 shots).

I’d venture to say 35% is likely unsustainable, but he should have excellent production nonetheless.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Think Sudbury should pick up a good enough starter and I think they're bound to make the finals.

But I think Byfield for sure makes this year's World Junior team.

Problem is, Sudbury already traded 4 picks for Purboo, but he's not the answer, IMO.

Other issue is, the quality goalies in the OHL are on teams that should be competing this year. Unless a team falls off dramatically come TDL, it will be hard for the Wolves to fill that void.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
One thing to keep an eye on with respect to Byfield as the season unfolds. His shooting percentage is currently at 35% (7 goals on 20 shots). By comparison, Lafreniere is currently sitting at 10% (4 goals on 39 shots).

I’d venture to say 35% is likely unsustainable, but he should have excellent production nonetheless.

Even though his line would still be 6-6-9-15 we would still be talking about his domination and huge jump in production this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man we really have to hit the brakes here as Byfield went donut tonight and was only 6/11 on the dot and the wolves still beat a 4-1 SSM team.

Well not really.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I guess you can't score in every single game :( ....

scoring at a 2.66 PPG clip is impossible to maintain unless you have the talent of a Connor McDavid type of prospect. We all know he isn't that. anywhere at 1.75+ for the year and he's my #1OA pick.

I'm sort of hoping he isn't the #1OA that way freeing him up from the stupid unwritten rule that all #1OA picks get an automatic pass to a NHL roster. nothing wrong with him spending 1 more year in junior.

There have been a few #1OA picks the past 10 years who could have used another year or 2 of development time.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Curious fronts fan here - How many OAs do you guys have? Is Bonello a viable solution in net? From what I read above it seems like you need help on the back-end

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Okay, I’ll be that guy. Polls on here have shown that a notable majority consider Lafrenière to be a better prospect than Jack Hughes. Are the Byfield supporters in here willing to weigh in on his own case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia