C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
A big kid with an amazing skill set who is looking like he'll be the 1st pick in the upcoming OHL draft. Is a good skater and a lethal shot while is on pace to put up numbers similar to what Stamkos did his OHL draft year. A late August birthday so will be one of the younger players in the draft and although the draft is still a ways away he's looking like he'll be part of the group with Lafreniere and Guhle as the top Canadians from the CHL for this draft.

Quinton Byfield

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Played his 1st Jr. game last night for the Newmarket Hurricanes of the OJHL. Came away with a goal and an assist. 1st star of the game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A big kid with an amazing skill set who is looking like he'll be the 1st pick in the upcoming OHL draft. Is a good skater and a lethal shot while is on pace to put up numbers similar to what Stamkos did his OHL draft year. A late August birthday so will be one of the younger players in the draft and although the draft is still a ways away he's looking like he'll be part of the group with Lafreniere and Guhle as the top Canadians from the CHL for this draft.

Quinton Byfield
I've heard there is a group of people who think Drysdale is his equal, and possibly the best Ontario kid.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've heard there is a group of people who think Drysdale is his equal, and possibly the best Ontario kid.

Given Drysdales size I think Byfield is more projectable to the NHL. OHL is a different story. I've heard Drysdale is an excellent skater and has great offensive acumen but I think you take the 6'3, 200lb slick skating goalscoring center over the 5'11, 150 lb offensive defencmen most days if not always.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Given Drysdales size I think Byfield is more projectable to the NHL. OHL is a different story. I've heard Drysdale is an excellent skater and has great offensive acumen but I think you take the 6'3, 200lb slick skating goalscoring center over the 5'11, 150 lb offensive defencmen most days if not always.
In general, projecting kids to the NHL until they play a major junior game is pretty pointless. You see kids like McFarland and Jake Wise dominate due to being on the right side of puberty despite not even having elite size. Also, I'm not sure that Drysdale listing is up to date.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Both players are great. Drysdale is somewhere around 5'11 or 6 Foot, and isn't as slight as 150, though I don't know his weight. Anyways, I don't see his size giving him any trouble in the future. Incredible skating/skill set. Probably the best escapes of any Dman i've seen in the minors. If he has a couple strides on you, chasing a puck into the corner, you won't touch him.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Very true. Drysdales skating is phenomenal but IMO I have Moore ahead of him. As for Byfield yes the kid is a talent, and no it's not because of his size. Likely the 1st overall pick this year.

Reactions: Puckclektr

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Very true. Drysdales skating is phenomenal but IMO I have Moore ahead of him. As for Byfield yes the kid is a talent, and no it's not because of his size. Likely the 1st overall pick this year.
I think he's the likely one. It will be interesting to see if any politics is played. I can see certain destinations being told he (or any of the top kids) won't report, which could skew the actual draft order. Kids aren't lining up to go to Sudbury or Flint.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I think he's the likely one. It will be interesting to see if any politics is played. I can see certain destinations being told he (or any of the top kids) won't report, which could skew the actual draft order. Kids aren't lining up to go to Sudbury or Flint.
I can all but guarantee Flint will take who they think is best

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I came away more impressed with Drysdale. His skating is on an entirely different level.He and Moore have the best overall skill sets of the 02’s.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Moore's mind for the game is just about second to none. I think he'll have more success than other recent, smaller, offensive dynamos like Merkley, Murphy, Ellis, etc. That's lofty, but I believe it.

Reactions: Puckclektr

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Rumor has it Drysdale will consider NCAA schools - he attend an elite private high school and an offer from an Ivy League school would make it interesting.
Michigan knocking hard on his door
This kid can be the next Victor Mete
Highly touted Ontario kids rarely follow through with the NCAA threat. McBain is one of the few. Both Marner and Domi threatened to go the NCAA route but reported to London (Marner slipped to them, and Kingston traded Domi to London).

Also, Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships and I doubt a kid who has been put through an elite private school education and GTHL hockey would qualify under any of the needs-based endowments in regards to favorable student loans (under blind-admissions policies).

Reactions: 99664987

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Watching game video from a low scoring tie vs Markham, and you might think he's slumping...Nope, He's created 6-7 high end opportunities through two periods, and has a goal.

How quickly he processes the game, is the separating factor.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Why isnt Byfield playing up a year? Playing against his own birth year and being 6'3 and 200 and playing against kids who havent hit puberty isnt a real challenge is it? Most elite 02's in the US are playing against kids that are 99's who are 3 and sometimes 4 or 5 years older especially in the prep schools.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
He’d be better off playing in the GTHL, where he’d be facing VK, Miss. Reps, Marlies, JRC’s regularly.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why isnt Byfield playing up a year? Playing against his own birth year and being 6'3 and 200 and playing against kids who havent hit puberty isnt a real challenge is it? Most elite 02's in the US are playing against kids that are 99's who are 3 and sometimes 4 or 5 years older especially in the prep schools.
Not how kids are developed here. They'll bump a kid up a year, but there is really no point in your OHL draft year of playing AAA Midget over AAA minor-midget. Pretty much all the high-end kids between minor-midget and midget leave for either the OHL or OJHL, making it watered down.

Now, there are kids like Tavares and McDavid who played up a year in the GTHL almost their entire lives and were granted exemptional status to enter the OHL early. Or even cases like Ho-Sang and Jack Hughes who were bumped up, but didn't get exceptional status and therefore repeated the level.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Byfield's statline is currently 48 Goals and 92 points in 34 games for a PPG of 2.71.

Since the 03-04 season (as far as EliteProspects dates back) only two players have produced at a higher pace than that in the ETA AAA league (and not by much). Those would be Steven Stamkos (2.98 PPG) and Taylor Hall (2.88 PPG).

His stats are obviously a bit inflated due to the YSE factor (they are always stacked) and also the fact that he is 6 ft 3, 190 pounds (quite literally a man playing against boys), but what does he project to be? Pretty high chance he goes first overall in the OHL priority selection this year but what about after that? What's the scouting report for those who have been following this league?

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
YSE splits it's top players between two lines. He plays with Collins and Galata/Colangelo, who are solid players(Collins probably a 3rd/4th round draft pick, and the other guys should be picked late), but he doesn't play with either of Vierling or Butler, who should be 1st and 2nd round picks respectively. I don't think Byfield's numbers are inflated much at all.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
YSE splits it's top players between two lines. He plays with Collins and Galata/Colangelo, who are solid players(Collins probably a 3rd/4th round draft pick, and the other guys should be picked late), but he doesn't play with either of Vierling or Butler, who should be 1st and 2nd round picks respectively. I don't think Byfield's numbers are inflated much at all.

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting to know.

Hoping to check out the AAA championships this weekend, anyone else to keep an eye on for YSE? or for Guelph/Oakville/Barrie/Quinte for that matter

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
All those guys mentioned are a good start. Byfield and Vierling are the top dogs though. You'll notice them right away. Bar, on the back end, has a high end skillset in an athletic frame.

Oakville: Evangelista, Tolnai, most of their Dmen

Quinte: Langdon

Barrie: Snow, Hardie, Belanger

Guelph: Morrison

Top play from all those guys is fairly evident. You should have no problem finding them on the ice. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad