C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
MacKinnon was extremely hyped, even with a terrible WJC showing from him and his head coach. I would definitely put his hype over the likes of even Auston Matthews as well. Drouin was just as hyped though considering the improvement he made compared to a season prior to his draft year.

In terms of talent, Hughes is easily in the Dahlin, MacKinnon, Barkov, or Svechnikov category than he would be to the Zadina and Drouin category.

Bite yer tongue on Dahlin :). I put him ahead of everyone but McDavid.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Over the past 10 years this is how I see the tiers based on draft hype and potential:
1: Mcdavid
2: Tavares, Stamkos, McKinnon, Eichel, Matthews
3. Hall, Seguin, Drouin, Marner

My estimation has Hughes in between tiers 2/3 but that’s me. Could end up being a franshise forward like tier 2 or could end up being a slightly less forward like the ones in tier 3

Reactions: deflowd

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Over the past 10 years this is how I see the tiers based on draft hype and potential:

My estimation has Hughes in between tiers 2/3 but that’s me. Could end up being a franshise forward like tier 2 or could end up being a slightly less forward like the ones in tier 3

Marner went 4th overall

WTF

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Hughes hasn't accomplished as much as Marner up until this point. He's a better skater but has a worse shot. His performance has been worse in junior play. I'd have him behind Marner.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hughes hasn't accomplished as much as Marner up until this point. He's a better skater but has a worse shot. His performance has been worse in junior play. I'd have him behind Marner.
I don't think there is much of a gap in their shots at the same age. Marner is more creative once the offensive zone is established. Hughes is better in transition.

As for who has accomplished more at comparable ages? They play in different leagues, but I'm pretty sure Hughes would be a top 5 player in the OHL at 17 like Marner was.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

Why is Drouin on the same tier as the Hart Trophy winner from last season? I definitely dont think he was even close to as hyped as those guys or ever had top potential. He was a product of playing with McKinnon in Junior.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
based purely on hype Hughes definitely has more behind him than Marner did in his draft year. A lot of people even had Crouse ahead of Marner for most of, if not the whole year leading up to their draft
guess it depends on your view of their draft years as a whole but still

Why is Drouin on the same tier as the Hart Trophy winner from last season? I definitely dont think he was even close to as hyped as those guys or ever had top potential. He was a product of playing with McKinnon in Junior.
Drouin was definitely in the conversation for 1st overall and a huge amount of hype behind him before that draft, it was a pretty big shock when Florida didn't take him

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hughes hasn't accomplished as much as Marner up until this point.

I mean... it’s always hard to compare across leagues but Hughes is going to finish as maybe the most accomplished USNTDP player ever imo, and played in the WJC in his draft year (to the tune of 1.0 P/PG).

It’s definitely close, because Marner was sick for London. I’m just not sure Marner is clearly more accomplished at the same age. Could argue either way.

All top 5 range prospects are pretty accomplished and have their fair share of accolades though.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Drouin was really hyped if I recall correctly

Kakko the bust

Hughes > Kakko ALL DAY, everyday
Nov 6, 2017
Well, Kakko is atm in god mode, and Hughes is playing against kids so it's easier for people to discredit that.

I don’t think you realize, that yes he plays against age ranges from 16-24 but the majority of the teams he plays average 19+ Years old.

Keep in mind, he also plays against NCAA D1 teams who, on average, are 4 years older about. Which is way more physical hockey than the CHL(Qmjhl, Ohl, WHL)

Also, his whole team is 18 and under. It’s not like he plays for a typical junior team, where the age range is 16-21.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I don’t think you realize, that yes he plays against age ranges from 16-24 but the majority of the teams he plays average 19+ Years old.

Keep in mind, he also plays against NCAA D1 teams who, on average, are 4 years older about. Which is way more physical hockey than the CHL(Qmjhl, Ohl, WHL)

Also, his whole team is 18 and under. It’s not like he plays for a typical junior team, where the age range is 16-21.
What does this have to do with anything. Just pointed out that it’s way easier for people to criticise Jack than Kakko.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011

Why you listed only NA players? Europeans don't have as much potential and hype?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
You said Hughes plays against kids right in the quoted post... It's a direct reply to a point you made.
Couple of overagers per team doesn't really mean much when we are comparing college leagues and actual pro leagues. Granted that Kakko dominating against players in Liiga doesn't mean he won't have some trouble against faster and stronger players in NHL but it's still an advantage to play against veterans who have maxed out their strength training compared to getting to play against kids who are barely consired adults at age 19-22.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Couple of overagers per team doesn't really mean much when we are comparing college leagues and actual pro leagues. Granted that Kakko dominating against players in Liiga doesn't mean he won't have some trouble against faster and stronger players in NHL but it's still an advantage to play against veterans who have maxed out their strength training compared to getting to play against kids who are barely consired adults at age 19-22.

Er, 22-23 is pretty close to peak for forwards at least. College teams with say half of their players 18-19 and half 20-23 are much different from junior teams of mostly 17-19 year olds.

Anyway, I didn't have any idea how NTDP scheduling worked but by my count Hughes has 2G 11A in 9GP vs NCAA teams (not going to check how good the teams he played against actually are) which seems decent. That's certainly not the same as playing a full season in Liiga but at least he's not struggling badly against older, stronger players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad