C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Not sure if this has been asked yet but where would Jack Hughes fit in if he were in last years draft? His bro went #7,is there a big separation on their skill sets? Ornis it the fact that smaller forwards are more likely to succeed than small Defenceman that would explain the difference in rankings?

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Not sure if this has been asked yet but where would Jack Hughes fit in if he were in last years draft? His bro went #7,is there a big separation on their skill sets? Ornis it the fact that smaller forwards are more likely to succeed than small Defenceman that would explain the difference in rankings?

He probably would have gone second.

Reactions: Tatar Shots

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I’d pick Svechnikov ahead of Hughes.

Honestly I can't see why or how. The only attributes in Svechnikov's favor are his size (which doesn't mean much any more) and his shot. Hughes wins in just about every other category. I understand your reasoning for not seeing Hughes as the clear cut number one prospect for this draft but I would wager that 75% of all NHL scouts have him at number one and that he will go number one. I also feel that in the next five years he will be the player that everyone (including you) here says was the obvious choice for the number one slot.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
All this talk of him potentially needing another year before playing in the NHL needs to stop. Team USA will be stacked enough at the WJC without him.
I do think it's funny the amount of hand wringing that is going on about his size. He's basically the dead-on, same exact size as Brayden Point at 5-10 165, and bigger than Gaudreau.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I do think it's funny the amount of hand wringing that is going on about his size. He's basically the dead-on, same exact size as Brayden Point at 5-10 165, and bigger than Gaudreau.

This is such a disingenuous argument because I think you know that very few people point specifically to his height and weight. They point to his compete level, his ability to play center, his strength, his board play, his perimeter approach, his FO ability, his defense. Those are valid criticisms, but its easy for the "Hughes is Matthews/Eichel level" crowd to dismiss every criticism as related to his size, and then point to a few smaller forwards who have success.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
This is such a disingenuous argument because I think you know that very few people point specifically to his height and weight. They point to his compete level, his ability to play center, his strength, his board play, his perimeter approach, his FO ability, his defense. Those are valid criticisms, but its easy for the "Hughes is Matthews/Eichel level" crowd to dismiss every criticism as related to his size, and then point to a few smaller forwards who have success.
1. I did not say that
2. I replied to the comment that touched on and was addressing the narrative that his size will prevent him from playing in the NHL next season.

It was not a implication that he will be elite right away, or that his size doesn't matter and will have absolutely no effect on his overall game.

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. I did not say that
2. I replied to the comment that touched on and was addressing the narrative that his size will prevent him from playing in the NHL next season.

It was not a implication that he will be elite right away, or that his size doesn't matter and will have absolutely no effect on his overall game.

You might've not said it, but its implied. There's actually very little room between the opinions about Hughes. The "fans" think he's going to be one of the NHL's elite players, the "haters" think he's going to be just shy of that.

The post you were replying to wasn't saying Hughes might need an extra year due to size. Its possible that someone might voice that opinion, but its not one I've seen that often. Most of the opinions that are anti-Hughes in any way, whether its saying he wouldn't play next year in the NHL or don't think he's as good as some others think, revolve around things other than his height/weight.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hughes would have went 1st or 2nd.

Close call between he and Dahlin but I think Dahlin probably goes 1st still. Hughes would have easily been the #2 pick though and is head and shoulders above Kakko, Svechnikov and anyone else in the 18 or 19 drafts.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I think Hughes goes 2nd because Dahlin is that much better. Hughes vs Svechnikov is an interesting argument, I could see it swinging either way depending on what you view Hughes as. If you think he’s a C then to me he’s the pick because of his position value. If you think he’s a winger then you’re probably leaning Svechnikov due to his bigger build and better goal scoring ability.

I take Hughes at 2 because I think he sticks down the middle but if you think he’s going to slide to the wing and be say Clayton Keller, then Svechnikov is probably the guy.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Svechnikov has been just as hyped as Hughes for years, if you take out the fact that one is NA, and plays from NA always get a little extra hype. He then had one of the best draft seasons in the last 20 years from the OHL. They are different types of players, but why is it crazy talk?

Hughes is a lot more dynamic of a player. Really not a debate

Reactions: Hronek

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Hughes would have went 1st or 2nd.

Close call between he and Dahlin but I think Dahlin probably goes 1st still. Hughes would have easily been the #2 pick though and is head and shoulders above Kakko, Svechnikov and anyone else in the 18 or 19 drafts.
We will see if he will be better than Svechnikov, let's wait 2,3 seasons then we will know. Well truly saying Svech is skilled as hell but he is not showing it every time.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hughes is a lot more dynamic of a player. Really not a debate

Yeah, it really isn't a debate at all.

Hughes has gotten quite underrated this year apparently. He's not a McDavid level prospect but he's absolutely in that Matthews/Eichel/Mackinnon tier of prospects. Kid has Patrick Kane upside and stands a high chance of reaching it.

He'll be a Top 10 scorer in the league consistently.

Reactions: AmericanDream
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->