C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
In order to provide some additional weight to my observations, I have compiled examples from the 2019 U20 World Juniors into a 7-minute video. I have also included footage from the U18 USNTDP team's game against Dartmouth on October 22, 2018.

For those who are unaware of the issue at hand, there is a growing amount of evidence that the previous favorite candidate to be selected first overall in the 2019 NHL Draft, Jack Hughes, should no longer be considered the best selection with the first pick. Instead, the more favorable option should be Finnish forward Kaapo Kakko.

To the general public, there may have been a high level of mystique about these players prior to this season and an expectation, based on previous seasons, that Jack Hughes would a player of exceptional caliber. Media and casual fans alike crowned Hughes the next elite superstar, comparing him to Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Jack Eichel, Mitch Marner, and Patrick Kane among others. Some of the hype was not unfounded during Hughes' pre-draft seasons, as in those early years, it is far more difficult to gauge whether a player's game is suitable for the NHL -- instead, players are judged based on their own unique abilities relative to their peers. Not every player at the age of 13, 14, or 15 is as developed as others are, and so the strongest players, fastest players, and most crafty players at those ages stand out among the rest.

At the age of 15, Jack Hughes, after his final year in the GTHL, was predicted by some to be the next Connor McDavid, owing to his speed with the puck. After his 16-year-old season in the US National Development Team program, recording numbers comparable to those of Auston Matthews against other 16 and 17-year-old US development league players, Hughes was deemed the next great star.

However, as the age group increases and players as well as systems continue to develop, those who rely primarily on raw attributes can sometimes begin to reach greater parity with their peers -- such is the case, I believe, with Jack Hughes. I will elaborate, basing my case on my observations of this player over an extended number of viewings; this includes several games from his 2017-18 USNTDP season, his entire 2018 U18 World Championship performance, several matches from his 2018-19 USNTDP season so far, as well as his entire 2018 World Junior Summer Showcase and 2019 U20 World Junior Championship performances.

Jack Hughes' game can be defined with the following summary of his style of play:

He is a rush-centric playmaker who utilizes speed through the neutral zone with the puck to overwhelm the opposition. His greatest strength is his ability to carry the puck and, if unimpeded, maintain control of it at top speed. At lower levels, this allows him to exploit the opposing defenders and put them on their heels, creating space for his teammates to receive the puck upon the team's offensive zone entry, or to take the puck wide of the defenders, towards the goal crease.
This is a strength of his that often results in the superficial comparison of his game to that of Connor McDavid. The reason that this may be considered a superficial comparison stems from various deficiencies in his game that McDavid does not possess -- such deficiencies alter and limit Hughes' game. I will explain these deficiencies below.

Some of Jack Hughes' deficiencies stem, inevitably, from his body type: he stands at 5 feet, 10 inches tall and currently weighs 168 lbs.

One particular focus is the potential for Hughes not to be elusive enough to easily outweigh his strength disadvantage. Unlike Patrick Kane, the player he is sometimes compared to, Jack Hughes is not shifty or particularly agile so much as he is fast in a straight line. He has the ability to change directions sufficiently at full flight, but he does not effortlessly pivot in various directions a la Patrick Kane or, if one seeks another example, Elias Pettersson. Both Kane and Pettersson can change their direction with ease, pivoting and altering their east-west movement along the ice from a standstill and thus catching their opponent off guard. Jack Hughes' evasiveness is founded heavily on his momentum along the ice once he has built up speed from two or three strides.

The ability of smaller and lighter players a la Johnny Gaudreau, Mitch Marner, Patrick Kane, and Elias Pettersson to maneuver in tight spaces and avoid being contained in spite of their strength disadvantage is the result of effortless agility, which Hughes does not possess. Hughes' evasiveness on the ice centers around speed and the ability to cut sharply at high speeds.

One potential struggle that Hughes may face, as a result of his lack of strength and only above-average agility, rather than exceptional agility, is his inability to maintain possession of the puck while under pressure. While he had quite a lot of room at lower levels to maneuver with the puck at full speed, the amount of space for him to carry the puck decreases as his competition level increases. A high-quality example of this is whenever he faces competition above his previous comfort level of U18 opponents: against NCAA and U20 competition, most recently at the 2019 World Juniors, Jack Hughes was not effective at even strength. Rush chances were impeded by the opposing defense, who often could force pressure on him and push him off of the puck. In the offensive zone at even strength, he does not forecheck particularly well, with not enough strength along the boards to win board battles, and not enough evasiveness to knife through the opposition without being pushed off of the puck.

He was effective at maneuvering with additional space on the powerplay at the 2019 U20 World Juniors, but is limited by another factor when he has the puck: his lack of ability to shoot the puck with any great velocity or accuracy; his shot, like that of his brother Quinn, is below average for even the standard of his current level of play. His release has little power and goaltenders throughout the entire 2018-19 season have been able to stop most of Jack Hughes' shots on goal. At a level where sufficient goal scorers at the NHL level can score with abundance, Hughes has not thrived as a shooter. At the professional level, and especially at the NHL level, players are required to be exceptional shooters in order to score goals at a sufficient rate. With this lack of shooting ability, Hughes is more likely to be a pure playmaker at the NHL level than a balanced scorer.

This is where the comparison with Kane falls apart: Kane is effortless on his edges -- not the fastest straight-line player, but incredibly shifty even while knifing through center at a casual glide. Hughes is more speed-based than agility-based. Kane also has a blistering shot, while Jack does not. Hughes already struggles to find space at even strength at the U20 level. His boardwork is not adequate -- puck retention is poor as a result of his lack of strength on his skates --, and he lacks an NHL-level shot.

One must note that Jack Hughes' lack of strength is not the sole culprit of his struggle to forecheck in the offensive zone. His mediocre board work is impeded by the very rush-centric mentality that he possesses. Hughes is not the most aggressive forechecker; he does not attack players along the boards or battle relentlessly for pucks; understandably, he is not a strong player on his skates, but he does not compete along the boards with as much tenacity as a player with his speed should. His main method of attack is via rush offense at even strength. Reviews of his games against competition 18 years of age or over yield similar conclusions: lacklustre play at even strength.

This is a red flag, as I am very wary of players who rely heavily on rush offense at junior levels to score. The NHL is a cycle-based league: players chip the puck in, retrieve the puck, then generate chances via smart passes and puck movement as a unit. This is the majority of the offense at the NHL level, whereas rush offense is much more limited. NHL players understand how to contain players flying towards them at remarkable speeds and force them to set up in the offensive zone. Hughes' offensive zone play at even strength is too passive for NHL standards.

Some may accept the superficial comparison to Connor McDavid at face value, but the following is why he differs from McDavid and may struggle where McDavid does not: Connor McDavid, at this same level, was able to skate circles around everyone with his speed off the rush. Jack, meanwhile, can not find any space at even strength. In the NHL, not even Connor McDavid can skate circles around everyone off the rush. He is four inches taller, thirty pounds heavier, shoots better, and is more intelligent than Jack Hughes. McDavid had a knack at the junior level for seeing opportunities and processing the weaknesses of his opponent at a level that Jack can not. Despite all of these advantages that McDavid has over Hughes, NHL defenders can still limit Connor's speed to an extent. What is Jack without his speed, and how much of a struggle will it be to find space if U20 competition is already a tough task? Rush offense will be much more difficult for a player who does not possess the strength to escape from standard even-strength defensive pressure at the U20 level.

Another factor that should deter onlookers from preferring Jack Hughes over the other top player, Kaapo Kakko, is the risky nature of Hughes' play with the puck. In spite of his size, Hughes gambles quite often with the puck on his stick, believing that he can make end-to-end chances happen with regularity. He sometimes sacrifices defense because of his belief and overconfidence that he can skate the puck out of his own zone. This signals a spotty sense about his defensive responsibilities, which needs to be factored into any consideration of his hockey IQ. Jack Hughes is not very grounded defensively, often trying to do too much on his own with the puck and making mistakes. At this point, he is a very one-way, offensive player.

Jack Hughes' lack of awareness about when he should defer the puck to his teammates, and when not to take gambles with the puck, may be troublesome, as it implies a degree of tunnel vision at the junior level. Players whose games are mostly about rush offense and who tend to make their primary impact via rush plays are likely to be easier to contain if the opposition knows that the player in question always wants the puck. Hughes forces attempts at plays that are sometimes not there, and that are sometimes very defensively risky. These are hockey IQ issues that must be considered.

Jack Hughes, if one is to summarize his style of play, can be described as an offensive-minded, rush-centric playmaker with a below-average shot, a lack of strength, a greater reliance on speed than stop-and-start agility, and a need to play with other high-end talent. He is not a player of individual ability at the U20 level, making him an even less likely to be a player of individual ability at the NHL level. He may still become a successful NHL player, but more along the lines of a Nikolaj Ehlers, Nico Hischier or Clayton Keller.

Those who have watched Jack Hughes, even if only at the recent World Juniors, may be inclined to agree. Those who will claim that Hughes' game at the World Juniors was affected by an injury, please consider this: his game did not look different from earlier games against league opponents. The only danger that he presented at even strength in many of these games was when he sped up the ice off the rush through the neutral zone, and on the powerplay when he had room to maneuver. He was contained more often than not because of the defensive positioning of the U20 players, who were an improvement over the U18 competition he has faced in the past. End-to-end rush chances were few and far between against players aged 18 and over, which does not bode well for his ability to consistently generate rush chances at the professional level. There is also the possibility that he plays wing at the NHL level, much like Clayton Keller and Mitch Marner, both smaller players who played center in junior and moved to wing.

Jack Hughes' game is limited to one dimension. This makes him a more risky candidate than my top candidate for first overall in 2019, Finnish forward Kaapo Kakko.

In my opinion, there is no contest as to which player should be taken first overall. I admit that I have been aggressive in my attempts to bring awareness, but my sole intention is to offer insight about the prowess of a player who had not been a major part of the first-overall discourse prior to this season. Hughes is not the best player available.

The head European scout for NHL central scouting, Göran Stubb, thinks that Kakko is better than Hughes and that he could go first (link in Swedish):

Göran Stubb hyllar juniorerna som snart ska NHL-draftas: "Personligen tycker jag att Kakko är bättre än Hughes och just nu är Lundell klar etta i Europa"
English translation via Google Translate:
Göran Stubb celebrates the juniors who will soon be NHL-draftees: "Personally, I think Kakko is better than Hughes and right now Lundell is ready one in Europe"
Published 07.01.2019 - 12:45.
Mattias Forsblom - Helsingfors

Göran Stubb, who evaluates NHL-potential junior players, pays homage to the job that the Finnish ice hockey association has done and which in recent years has generated great success at junior level. Our junior series is good and our league is much better than many journalists want to show, he says. Stubb believes that both Kaapo Kakko (2019) and Anton Lundell (2020) have the potential to become historic by going first in the NHL drafts.

- Playing a 17-year-old, say Anton Lundell or Kaapo Kakko, an entire season with and against men so they develop in a completely different way compared to junior matches. They get better just by playing against good resistance and in a good environment.

Prior to the tournament, the US Jack Hughes on many NHL draft lists were ranked as one and Finland's Kaapo Kakko as second.

Was the ranking affected by JVM, who has a head start before the 2019 draft?

- It is decided when the NHL draws which club will choose first in the draft. If it is a club that likes Europeans and has a European direction, Kakko can go first. Is it a club that likes North Americans, maybe the election falls on Hughes.

- Personally, I think Kakko is better but I saw Hughes play four games in Kravare (Czech Republic) in November and he was absolutely phenomenal.

How high can Lundell go in the summer of 2020?

- Right now Lundell is one of the best in Europe and maybe in the whole hockey world but at that age so very quickly can happen. Just look at Lukkobacken Heinola! He was a good back in Lukko's junior team in September. Now he is junior world champion. The development has gone nail up.

Stubb pays tribute to the hockey association, which after meager years in the early 2000s has succeeded in reversing the trend and now washing up young high rollers on a continuous line.

- This was a sign of how good the Finnish ice hockey association is schooling their young players and how good our system is. Our junior series is good and our league is much better than many journalists want to demonstrate. Three junior gold in six years is a fine achievement. The U18 national team has been in final four years in a row. It looks bright.

"It is decided when the NHL draws which club will choose first in the draft. If it is a club that likes Europeans and has a European direction, Kakko can go first. Is it a club that likes North Americans, maybe the election falls on Hughes.

Personally, I think Kakko is better but I saw Hughes play four games in Kravare (Czech Republic) in November and he was absolutely phenomenal." - Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, January 7, 2019

The ice time estimates and the visualizations come from prospect stats and consider their USHL games only.

Jack Hughes - Prospect-Stats
Clayton Keller - Prospect-Stats

y8zGeQ9.jpg

Last edited:

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
i understand the critiques you have of Hughes, and i agree with some of them, but if you’re wrong it’s gonna look really bad. @Blade Paradigm
If he's wrong, his posts will never have any credibility anymore in the eyes of people who know the name Blade Paradigm. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
If he's wrong, his posts will never have any credibility anymore in the eyes of people who know the name Blade Paradigm. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

What do you mean by "if he is wrong"? I think his insight is spot on. However Hughes can take leaps and become different player, still Blade Paradigm was correct at the time he made his analysis.

The point is, Jack Huhges isn't anymore locked for 1st. He is high risk high reward pick

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What do you mean by "if he is wrong"? I think his insight is spot on. However Hughes can take leaps and become different player, still Blade Paradigm was correct at the time he made his analysis.

The point is, Jack Huhges isn't anymore locked for 1st. He is high risk high reward pick
it is not about right or wrong, those of us who follow Hughes understand some of the flaws he has - this guy just keeps beating a dead horse - obnoxiously so - almost obsessive like...one needs to wonder why he watches and posts so many videos of just 1 kid...you don't think that is odd or an agenda trying to be forced??

ask him why he doesn't take a tenth of his time and do the same for Kakko, Cozens, Zegras, etc...go ahead and ask him and find out why he is obsessed with repeatedly showing the same things over and over again that are literally the most meaningless traits a scout/GM is looking for right now in a 17 year old..it is absolutely absurd to expect a 17 year old skilled perimeter player to be on 100% with and away from the puck. they make mistakes, all these kids do...nobody has disagreed that Hughes has things to work on, yet over and over again he obsessively continues to keep pushing this like he is some kind of genius focusing on the most minute parts of each game. it is called overkill, and how this keeps getting allowed in this thread is beyond me.

Reactions: mwit20 and Nabrules

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Says who-you? Blade Paradigm?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Well, it's the most interesting draft in some time, for sure. Because it's been a while since the projected first overall pick has been a boom-or-bust type prospect who might not even be NHL ready next year.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Just as bad as people who've been wrong about other prospects, such as Elias Pettersson, would look. Which, by the way, was just about every professional scout.

every professional scout? he was the 5th overall pick dude

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
That's... my point? He's the best player of that top 5.

I hope you realize that BP is having Hughes at #2 still. That's a far cry from #5 as is. For comparison.

Pettersson at no point was ever in consensus consideration for first overall, so your point doesn't compare. If anything he was supposed to go much lower than he did. Looking back it's easy to say that he was the best prospect in the draft because of what he's done in the NHL, but in reality he probably deserved to go where he did for what he had done up until that point.

I realize Blade has Hughes at 2, which is understandable. He's obviously related to Kakko or has some affiliation with him because his obsession with the Kakko Hughes debate is weird.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Why? If he's wrong, he's just wrong.

At least he's [providing some video evidence to back his tsance up, unlike those Hughes-backers who just complain because he has a different opinion to them.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
it is not about right or wrong, those of us who follow Hughes understand some of the flaws he has - this guy just keeps beating a dead horse - obnoxiously so - almost obsessive like...one needs to wonder why he watches and posts so many videos of just 1 kid...you don't think that is odd or an agenda trying to be forced??

ask him why he doesn't take a tenth of his time and do the same for Kakko, Cozens, Zegras, etc...go ahead and ask him and find out why he is obsessed with repeatedly showing the same things over and over again that are literally the most meaningless traits a scout/GM is looking for right now in a 17 year old..it is absolutely absurd to expect a 17 year old skilled perimeter player to be on 100% with and away from the puck. they make mistakes, all these kids do...nobody has disagreed that Hughes has things to work on, yet over and over again he obsessively continues to keep pushing this like he is some kind of genius focusing on the most minute parts of each game. it is called overkill, and how this keeps getting allowed in this thread is beyond me.
Unlike you and other posters who won't even entertain the thought that your saviour Hughes may not actually be worthy of going 1OA. You're as bad as each other but at least he posts video to back his claims up, unlike Hughes' rabid defenders.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I want to know why Blade Paradigm has Hughes at #2 as he believes he's a dumpster fire w 50-50 point upside. Sounds like a mid-later first rounder to me.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Pettersson at no point was ever in consensus consideration for first overall, so your point doesn't compare. If anything he was supposed to go much lower than he did. Looking back it's easy to say that he was the best prospect in the draft because of what he's done in the NHL, but in reality he probably deserved to go where he did for what he had done up until that point.

I realize Blade has Hughes at 2, which is understandable. He's obviously related to Kakko or has some affiliation with him because his obsession with the Kakko Hughes debate is weird.
Canucks reportedly had Pettersson at 1 or 2, so you're wrong.

As for B-P's so-called obsession with Kakko, it's no worse than those defending Hughes.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canucks reportedly had Pettersson at 1 or 2, so you're wrong.

As for B-P's so-called obsession with Kakko, it's no worse than those defending Hughes.

Then PLEASE take his cherry picking to the Kakko thread to pump him up. He can use smoke and mirrors to make Kakko out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pettersson at no point was ever in consensus consideration for first overall, so your point doesn't compare.
That is my point. "Professional scouts can be wrong, too". Did all those professional scouts lose all their credibility? No? Hence... Well, if you don't get it, I guess there's no point in explaining this further. You shouldn't think in terms of "going against the consensus" or not. You should just evaluate the prospects.

He's making some good points about Hughes, though 50-60 points would probably be too pessimistic - I certainly think he'll be superior to Keller.

Nov 1, 2011
He's a speed merchant but may look like Nail Yakulov or Angelo Esposito at the next level...or Mitch Mariner, you never know. It really does come down to his shiftiness and hockey intelligence.

Scouts lists differ more from the consensus than most people think. That's why when Button has Virtanen in the 2nd round, people say he's crazy but that's just the way each team's scouts see guys.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
At worst Hughes is a 2nd overall talent to some and that’s fine, but the way people are describing him makes it sound like he’s barely a first rounder. Kakko has flaws too but you don’t really hear him getting bashed like Hughes is.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
There are two schools of thoughts for Jack Hughes:

1) He will instantly be a dominate 90 point player in the NHL and go down as one of the best ever to play the game.

2) He has some ineffencies in his game which can translate to some struggles at first in the NHL but with time and experience can iron them out.

If we meet in the middle, Jack Hughes will be a first line talent capable of changing the tide in a game. Pretty simple stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad