C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, it really isn't a debate at all.

Hughes has gotten quite underrated this year apparently. He's not a McDavid level prospect but he's absolutely in that Matthews/Eichel/Mackinnon tier of prospects. Kid has Patrick Kane upside and stands a high chance of reaching it.

He'll be a Top 10 scorer in the league consistently.
I'd say he's closer to Drouin tier than MacKinnon tier.

Patrick Kane was a way better goal scorer in junior. Hughes is a good prospect, but, I would have taken every single one of Matthews, Eichel and MacKinnon over him. I don't think that makes him underrated, just that he's a level below them.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland

Patrick Kane was a way better goal scorer in junior. Hughes is a good prospect, but, I would have taken every single one of Matthews, Eichel and MacKinnon over him. I don't think that makes him underrated, just that he's a level below them.
Yup, Drouin is a good comparable, but I’d also take Mac, Eichel and Auston every single day of the week over Hughes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yup, Drouin is a good comparable, but I’d also take Mac, Eichel and Auston every single day of the week over Hughes.
I wouldn't just say Drouin. I'd add guys like Marner, Svechnikov, or even Laine. I think he's a better prospect than Hischier and co were. I'd probably take him over most of those guys (Laine and he would have been an interesting debate). I think Hughes is just a small tier down from the Stamkos, Tavares, MacKinnon, Matthews, and Eichel tier of prospect

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Mackinnon didn't even belong in that tier, now after 5 years of NHL hockey people start lumping him in there after struggling the past 4 seasons to last year. Hughes is definitely in that tier, hilarity keeps ensuing here.

Reactions: Dodospice

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I think the Drouin comparable is off because of the skating. Drouin who I loved as a prospect, at no point, ever had the insane skating ability that Hughes, Kane, Marner etc. have. Drouin was alot more stockier too, nowhere close having the shifty ability that Hughes possesses which leads to the Kane comparisons.

I think Hughes compares to Kane with less goal scoring ability. Not as good of a prospect that Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon were, but just a step below them. It's not because of skill/IQ/talent or that he doesn't have the same kinda ceiling but rather far more question marks that any of those players had coming into the league.

I think Kakko is pretty underrated too. I see Hughes/Kakko similar to MacKinnon/Barkov. If Hughes can reach his offensive ceiling he's the guy you want but Kakko much like Barkov will be the more dependable/better all-around player if Hughes can't manage to figure it out on the score sheet.

Hughes just has the skating, hands, IQ, creativity that are all elite. Like nobody will be shocked if Jack Hughes spends alot of his career as a top 10 scorer in the league, having a few seasons that really pop off.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mackinnon didn't even belong in that tier, now after 5 years of NHL hockey people start lumping him in there after struggling the past 4 seasons to last year. Hughes is definitely in that tier, hilarity keeps ensuing here.
MacKinnon absolutely was viewed in that tier at the time. He was viewed as the best center prospect since Tavares. At worst, MacKinnon was in the Seguin, and Hall tier, which maybe that is where Hughes is.

Hughes doesn't offer the things Matthews and Eichel did, who clicked every single thing you wanted in a prototypical franchise center.

You thinking it's hilarious to debate Hughes status in that tier is pretty homerish towards the American kid, and almost as absurd as the people who overly tear him down.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the Drouin comparable is off because of the skating. Drouin who I loved as a prospect, at no point, ever had the insane skating ability that Hughes, Kane, Marner etc. have. Drouin was alot more stockier too, nowhere close having the shifty ability that Hughes possesses which leads to the Kane comparisons.

I think Hughes compares to Kane with less goal scoring ability. Not as good of a prospect that Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon were, but just a step below them. It's not because of skill/IQ/talent or that he doesn't have the same kinda ceiling but rather far more question marks that any of those players had coming into the league.

I think Kakko is pretty underrated too. I see Hughes/Kakko similar to MacKinnon/Barkov. If Hughes can reach his offensive ceiling he's the guy you want but Kakko much like Barkov will be the more dependable/better all-around player if Hughes can't manage to figure it out on the score sheet.

Hughes just has the skating, hands, IQ, creativity that are all elite. Like nobody will be shocked if Jack Hughes spends alot of his career as a top 10 scorer in the league, having a few seasons that really pop off.
I didn't compare him to Drouin as a player, just where his stock was relative to him at the time of there draft. Marner has elite edgework. Both Kane and Hughes are faster than Marner though.

Reactions: d rake

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Mackinnon was most certainly in that tier of players in his draft year. The opposite is what actually happened. He struggled for a few years after a strong rookie year and people forgot what kind of a prospect he was in his draft year.

But I do agree, Hughes is absolutely in that group. He's going to be a very high end #1C and certainly could be franchise level like Mackinnon/Matthews/Eichel are.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Do you see Hughes scoring 62 points next year? Mackinnon didn't excactly struggle in his rookie year.
he clearly was below the other names he now is in "their tier" with...those other names were better players from day 1, but over time Mackinnon evolved into what he is. I find it hilarious to add Mackinnon to that tier now when he literally was one of the more underwhelming #1 picks over time being compared here, BUT Hughes apparently can't grow as Mac did... But that also shows you that even a #1 OV player can evolve/improve and become a dominant NHLer after years. his thread just keeps getting worse and worse.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
MacKinnon absolutely was viewed in that tier at the time. He was viewed as the best center prospect since Tavares. At worst, MacKinnon was in the Seguin, and Hall tier, which maybe that is where Hughes is.

Hughes doesn't offer the things Matthews and Eichel did, who clicked every single thing you wanted in a prototypical franchise center.

You thinking it's hilarious to debate Hughes status in that tier is pretty homerish towards the American kid, and almost as absurd as the people who overly tear him down.
that is not what I am saying at all.

you as well as others can now put Mackinnon in that tier, but after his draft season, he was not being held in that same regard. my point is a player will have ups and downs, they do evolve/improve - Mackinnon was certainly hyped at his draft, not debating that at all, watched him a ton and enjoyed him, but he did not live up to those expectations right away as it took time..but now we are putting him in that tier with confidence when 3 years ago he would not have been. Hughes most certainly is in that tier as those players - skillset, skating, vision, everything puts him there, like Mackinnon it is up to him to live up to it. Hughes has been the #1OV pick for almost 3 years now since lists were being compiled, he will be far more the player than a Drouin or whatever other name some of you want to try and diminish him into.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
he clearly was below the other names he now is in "their tier" with...those other names were better players from day 1, but over time Mackinnon evolved into what he is. I find it hilarious to add Mackinnon to that tier now when he literally was one of the more underwhelming #1 picks over time being compared here, BUT Hughes apparently can't grow as Mac did... But that also shows you that even a #1 OV player can evolve/improve and become a dominant NHLer after years. his thread just keeps getting worse and worse.
I honestly don't think you remember how MacKinnon was viewed at the time of his draft? He was considered arguably the best prospect since Tavares, and at worst on par with Hall, and clearly above RNH and Yakupov. 2013 at the time was very hyped at the top, with many people loving the projected top 3 of MacKinnon, Jones, and Drouin. The only one who didn't live up to expectations so far has been Drouin.

Reactions: ginner classic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
that is not what I am saying at all.

you as well as others can now put Mackinnon in that tier, but after his draft season, he was not being held in that same regard. my point is a player will have ups and downs, they do evolve/improve - Mackinnon was certainly hyped at his draft, not debating that at all, watched him a ton and enjoyed him, but he did not live up to those expectations right away as it took time..but now we are putting him in that tier with confidence when 3 years ago he would not have been. Hughes most certainly is in that tier as those players - skillset, skating, vision, everything puts him there, like Mackinnon it is up to him to live up to it. Hughes has been the #1OV pick for almost 3 years now since lists were being compiled, he will be far more the player than a Drouin or whatever other name some of you want to try and diminish him into.
I have no interest in trying to dimish Hughes. I'd still take him first overall. So, don't think I'm playing that game. But, I don't think he's a Matthews or Eichel level prospect. He simply doesn't have as well balanced and rounded out tool-kit. I think his game is comparable to Marner and Barzal, both elite players in the league.

Fair enough about MacKinnon, but I'm talking about how they were viewed during their draft year. Not about in the NHL. But, 3 years ago, I said MacKinnon was the fringe guy between the Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Eichel tier and the Hall/Seguin tier. I still stand by that today. I'm sure I could even find a post supporting that statement.

Edit: Seriously, this is what I said verbatim almost 3 years ago.

Matthews is in that Eichel, Tavares, Stamkos and Mackinnon tier, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is the best of all of them. He has an amazing all around game and no clear weaknesses.

C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) III

Reactions: VikingAv and d rake

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yep, like other guys have said here, Mackinnon was in that tier.

He's turned into a helluva player too, if Hughes reaches his level in the nhl then obviously he will have panned out great.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

Puckhead44

May 16, 2018
Is Hughes eligible to play in the AHL next season? I understand 99% Hughes will be in the NHL all next season just wondering what other options are available.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have no interest in trying to dimish Hughes. I'd still take him first overall. So, don't think I'm playing that game. But, I don't think he's a Matthews or Eichel level prospect. He simply doesn't have as well balanced and rounded out tool-kit. I think his game is comparable to Marner and Barzal, both elite players in the league.

Fair enough about MacKinnon, but I'm talking about how they were viewed during their draft year. Not about in the NHL. But, 3 years ago, I said MacKinnon was the fringe guy between the Stamkos, Tavares, Matthews, Eichel tier and the Hall/Seguin tier. I still stand by that today. I'm sure I could even find a post supporting that statement.

Edit: Seriously, this is what I said verbatim almost 3 years ago.

C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) III

It's a very thin line between Eichel and Barzal/Marner.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's a very thin line between Eichel and Barzal/Marner.
They graded out fairly differently as prospects. I wasn't pointing out anything in regards to Eichel that happened post draft. For example, Daigle would have been in the 2nd highest tier of prospect behind the Lemieux's and Lindros's, but many other players significantly outplayed him in the show. That isn't to say Eichel busted or anything. It's more than Eichel's overall skill set made him a very safe projection with very high-end upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I pointed out elsewhere that Hughes now has a real race on his hands to win the PPG title on this years NTDP team. I think this is why he should not be as clear of 1OA as some think.

Hughes is a brilliant offensive player. He’s the best point producer in this draft, but how much better than players like Turcotte, Cozens, Kakko, Dach, Zegras will he be at the NHL level with scoring points? The rest of his game compared to the rest of the games of those players projects as the worst, and he might end up a net-negative in other areas of the game aside from points, especially if he stays at center.

Unless there’s a huge separation between him and these other players with points, is he the better NHL prospect?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
MacKinnon was extremely hyped, even with a terrible WJC showing from him and his head coach. I would definitely put his hype over the likes of even Auston Matthews as well. Drouin was just as hyped though considering the improvement he made compared to a season prior to his draft year.

In terms of talent, Hughes is easily in the Dahlin, MacKinnon, Barkov, or Svechnikov category than he would be to the Zadina and Drouin category.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hughes is a player who will likely be a 60-70 point guy. He is not close to Patrick Kane in terms of goal scoring.
You always hear the “centre version of Patrick Kane” comparison, but Kane has an outstanding array of shots. Wicked wrister, hard and accurate snap shot, dangerous one timer and outstanding backhand. Hughes just isn’t remotely close. Shots can be improved, but not to that degree. Draft-eligible Kane had one of if not the best shot in his class, as I recall; is Hughes’ realistically even top-100?

Hughes may very well be able to work defenses in the same way Kane does, but he’ll never earn respect as a shooter that allows Kane to have set up so many easy tap-ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad