C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hischier or hughes? Now & in the future who is better?
Hughes was the better prospect at comparable ages. Hischier would probably go 3 in this draft, although being a clear center would help him. Hischier is better right now, but he's also two years older. Hughes is the more dynamic talent, and likely to be the better point producer in the NHL. Hischier is the better two-way player, and that is likely to hold. I'd personally gamble on Hughes long-term.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No but it seems a lot of people sure think Hughes sucks and Kakkos a god. Especially blade paradigm(OP of this jack Hughes page)
Kakko's having an amazing season, Hughes's season is worse than his last season. Pretty simple a concept, really. If Hughes was playing better, people would be talking more highly about him. IMO he's getting talked too highly about at the moment as is, for the record.

On Patrick Kane, indeed, Hughes's shot is poor so Kane doesn't work as a comparable. And I honestly don't think that Hughes is going to be as good as Kane even if we don't take the shots into account.

Kakko the bust

Hughes > Kakko ALL DAY, everyday
Nov 6, 2017
Kakko's having an amazing season, Hughes's season is worse than his last season. Pretty simple a concept, really. If Hughes was playing better, people would be talking more highly about him. IMO he's getting talked too highly about at the moment as is, for the record.

On Patrick Kane, indeed, Hughes's shot is poor so Kane doesn't work as a comparable. And I honestly don't think that Hughes is going to be as good as Kane even if we don't take the shots into account.

Not trying to burst your “Kakko is god” train but 10 out of 10 scouts have Hughes going first still.

So I mean..............

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

But everyone and their mom has Hughes going first

ijuka

May 14, 2016
But everyone and their mom has Hughes going first
But why? Scoring analysis, projection, toolset analysis, comparables... That just does not compute. In the first place, he's considered a clear cut C while there are 0 Cs like him in NHL.

It makes one wonder. If all 10 scouts were to use the reasoning "well the 9 other scouts have him first by a mile" it becomes a circular argument. I've asked this before, but is it really so difficult to argue for Hughes to be #1OA by a mile without appealing to authority?

Reactions: Tuntrui and d rake

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
But why? Scoring analysis, projection, toolset analysis, comparables... That just does not compute.

Because the guys that do this professionally agree Jack Hughes is better at hockey and projects to continue being better... That can make you unhappy, but that is what the industry is telling us right now.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Because the guys that do this professional agree Jack Hughes is better at hockey and projects to continue being better... That can make you unhappy, but that is what the industry is telling us right now.
How does he project to continue being better, though, when his current season is worse than his last one? That specifically signifies stagnation. And what Kakko's doing isn't exactly mild. It's one goal off from the all-time record, on a pretty strong league. Analysing statistics he's ahead and if we've seen how dominant Kakko can look even in Liiga, it really makes one wonder what came first.

I still think that it's very very odd that a proper case can't be built for Hughes without "they know better". When has this been the case before? With them ending up being right, as well. All I can recall is Patrick, but I think by this point even he had fallen out of favor. How many prospects can actually get away with having a worse draft season than their last one and still be a worthy #1OA? Statistical analysis would be fun to perform on that. Maybe we could say "John Tavares" was the last one. So it's been 10 years?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How does he project to continue being better, though, when his current season is worse than his last one? That specifically signifies stagnation. And what Kakko's doing isn't exactly mild. It's one goal off from the all-time record, on a pretty strong league. Analysing statistics he's ahead and if we've seen how dominant Kakko can look even in Liiga, it really makes one wonder what came first.

I still think that it's very very odd that a proper case can't be built for Hughes without "they know better". When has this been the case before? With them ending up being right, as well. All I can recall is Patrick, but I think by this point even he had fallen out of favor. How many prospects can actually get away with having a worse draft season than their last one and still be a worthy #1OA? Statistical analysis would be fun to perform on that. Maybe we could say "John Tavares" was the last one. So it's been 10 years?

Based on your knowledge of the USNTDP this year what kind of statistical production were you expecting from Hughes?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Based on your knowledge of the USNTDP this year what kind of statistical production were you expecting from Hughes?
Better than last year would be a start.

Hughes will go first, though, no doubt about it. It will be fun to revisit in five years to see if he should have, if Kakko was in fact the better choice, or if another player rises to the top.

Reactions: d rake

ijuka

May 14, 2016
An upwards trajectory is one of the basic things one looks for in the production of prospects.

It's odd you didn't get that from the message you quoted considering I said it on it. It's usually good practice to read the message you're replying to.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
An upwards trajectory is one of the basic things one looks for in the production of prospects.

It's odd you didn't get that from the message you quoted considering I said it on it. It's usually good practice to read the message you're replying to.

Hughes continues to progress and has all the tools to be a dominant scorer at the NHL level. What this boils down to is you aren't getting any traction with your argument. It's a bummer but there's always next year.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

This guys honestly never had anything good to say about Hughes and trolls as a Kaakko fan boy. Just ignore him. He has an agenda

Hughes is the best prospect in this draft. And nobody argues that besides a few posters here. All of whom are apparently better scouts than the ones professional team employ

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015

Prospects don’t always develop in a linear fashion, it’s a fact. I’m not saying Kakko isn’t going to be great, but when professional scouts say he’s 10/10 it’s usually with a good cause. To make it clear, while I think Hughes should be number 1 I still think there’s a chance Kakko can be the better player. Is it guaranteed? No. No prospect is ever guaranteed to be what the project to be. But professionals are professionals for a reason

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

What do you call 17 points in 11 games against NCAA competition?

Reactions: Franson

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is it concerning his points/game hasn't improved over last season?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Didn’t matter for Tavares.

Tavares goals/game went up quite a bit though.

And it may have mattered for tavares, as he went from being a potential generational player to being a potential star player.

Reactions: deflowd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad