C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was the guy I wanted Yzerman to draft.
A big, skilled righthanded center...
I like Seider, but no idea why he reached for him when Cozens was there.
I’m not a Wings or a Sabres fan, but I prefer Seider. 6’4” RHD who’s calm with the puck, skilled, shows great hockey IQ at both ends of the rink, good skater, and has a mean streak - that’s very hard to find, and very valuable. I think Cozens becomes a solid NHLer, but I’d rather have Seider.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Byron Bader‏ @ByronMBader Feb 29
Dylan Cozens is having a killer D+1. He's now at Alex Tanguay - Level. The progression of a 20 to 30 to 40 NHLe from D-1 to D+1 with an older draftee is rare. Nazem Kadri was the last one to do it. #Sabres50pic.twitter.com/SsFMuSXtzV
ER_XbD3UwAAqQR_.png

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Scoring at about a 2PPG clip since returning from the WJC. Starting to feel like this might be his last season in juniors. Would be a huge huge huge boost to the Sabres if he can be a productive NHL center next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tough decision, though. Do you really want to bring him up right away, after seeing what happened to Mittelstadt?

A lot depends on how much he matures physically between now and September. If there is any doubt at all that he is strong enough, then keep him back till he is dominating Junior physically.

I know Buffalo is eager to get some support for Eichel, but you can't get rushed into making a mistake with your best prospect.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Tough decision, though. Do you really want to bring him up right away, after seeing what happened to Mittelstadt?

A lot depends on how much he matures physically between now and September. If there is any doubt at all that he is strong enough, then keep him back till he is dominating Junior physically.

I know Buffalo is eager to get some support for Eichel, but you can't get rushed into making a mistake with your best prospect.

If they can bring in a 2nd line centre or at least a good 3rd line centre then I think having Cozens in the NHL would be ok, otherwise they're putting him in a position to fail.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's already fast enough to play in the NHL. He needs to be strong enough, also, and think the game fast enough. Figuring out if he is stronger is easy. The mental readiness is harder to figure.

All these things tie together. A player who understands the NHL game mentally will look faster than a
Similar player that doesn't.

Reactions: wetcoast

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Scoring at about a 2PPG clip since returning from the WJC. Starting to feel like this might be his last season in juniors. Would be a huge huge huge boost to the Sabres if he can be a productive NHL center next year.

Buffalo really feels like they are on the brink. I know people have said that before, but a top 12 pick in a very good draft this year, then you add in Cozens, Ullmark, some of the lesser prospects, an improved Dahlin and Eichel.

Those numbers are impressive for Cozens. Hope to see him get some time with the Sabres next year so I can get a read on him.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Mitts was an obvious no for me and most Sabres fans I think. He was not physically ready and our trash can of a GM ignored it. Plus he had plenty of room to improve in the college ranks against older competition.

Dylan is a much tougher decision. He seems much more physically ready. But I agree with most of it depends on what happens between now and September.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

The difference is Mittelstadt didn't look as strong in his D+1 year (outside of WJC).

And Mittelstadt also was forced into the 2C role when it is clear he wasn't ready since pre-season.

If Cozens doesn't look ready I have no problem sending him back. But IF he does look ready in pre-season/first 9 games, and IF the Sabres find some decent centers this off-season (big IF), then I have no problem easing him in as a middle-6 winger next year.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The difference is Mittelstadt didn't look as strong in his D+1 year (outside of WJC).
Mitts was without question head and shoulders above the next level of prospects at his first dev camp following the 2017 draft, it’s not surprising that the team decided it was best to accelerate him into the NHL rather than slow cooking him and potentially risking his game rising to a level where he might decide to walk to a more competitive team.

IMO he’s slipped quite a bit since then, he had none of the swagger or flash in his game and it’s way for the best that he’s in the AHL now trying to get it back, seems like it’s going pretty well too. I wish I could link you to some of those intersquad games from 2017 and 2018 dev...he was a man among boys with the other prospects.

Reactions: wetcoast

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Liking this pick for Buffalo. He's tracking real well, especially, as mentioned, since the WJC's. If he makes the Sabres I think it'll be a different case than Mittelstadt. Won't know until training camp next season though.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Mitts was without question head and shoulders above the next level of prospects at his first dev camp following the 2017 draft, it’s not surprising that the team decided it was best to accelerate him into the NHL rather than slow cooking him and potentially risking his game rising to a level where he might decide to walk to a more competitive team.

IMO he’s slipped quite a bit since then, he had none of the swagger or flash in his game and it’s way for the best that he’s in the AHL now trying to get it back, seems like it’s going pretty well too. I wish I could link you to some of those intersquad games from 2017 and 2018 dev...he was a man among boys with the other prospects.

Ya.. there's quite a bit of revisionist history going on with Mitts. After his 6 game stint at the end of the 2017-18 season plenty of people were penciling Mittelstadt in for 50+ points as the #2C, it was well-deserved ype. I wonder if it's the same situation with Tyson Jost for the Avs, he had a stellar + 1 campaign and we had to burn a year of his contract + promise he'd stay up on the big club to get him to sign. I think the big issue is that he was promised too much to ensure he signed, which meant staying up on the big club instead of starting them off in the AHL, which would've been best for their development.

At least with Cozens the worst thing you can do is burn a year of his contract, if he's struggling send him back to the WHL to dominate his peers.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would also say that even though he didn't light up the scoreboard there, Mittelstadt was very good playing with the Gophers. Best player on the ice, most nights.

I think BUF wasnt quick to adjust to the downturn in his play, and probably should've had him down in the AHL sooner, but who knows, maybe CM is just one of those guys who is a talented, but ultimately flawed prospect, and nothing the Sabres can do will fix that.
If that is the case, it's a shame. He does some things with the puck that very few can.

I think Cozens is a completely different player. Higher floor, maybe not as high of an offensive ceiling. Better all round player...more versatile.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t understand the comparisons to Mittelstadt. Different types of players, and Mittelstadt isn’t a center. He’s been developed incorrectly by the Sabres.

I think Cozens could’ve played in the NHL this season. Next season should be a certainty.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I don’t understand the comparisons to Mittelstadt. Different types of players, and Mittelstadt isn’t a center. He’s been developed incorrectly by the Sabres.

I think Cozens could’ve played in the NHL this season. Next season should be a certainty.
Sabres fans are gun shy after seeing their last few forward prospects crash and burn.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mittelstadt was a C up till, and including, his time in the NHL, or at least much of his time in the NHL.

Facts.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
How's his physical play? He looks like a tall drink of water to me and could stand to put some more muscle on. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
In comparision with Mittelstadt is Cozens a way better player and, of course, more NHL ready. Mitts had 11G+19A in 33 games in NCAA in his D+1 season, in his draft year played just couple of games in USHL - definitely he wasn't prepared enough for NHL.

Yes, Cozens hasn't soft hands like Casey has and also don't expect sick moves from him, but in every other aspect of his game he is more NHL ready than Casey was in his age.

Cozens is bigger, stronger, faster, more competitive and playing with more heart, has better shot and better physical endurance for long NHL season, also is better defensively. Instead of Casey Mittelstadt, he isn't lazy player.

If I make a choice between these two after them D+1 seasons I would take Cozens to my team all day long, he's simply different case than Casey.

Mitts also didn't look good in training camp before his rushed NHL season... so wait with Cozens until camp and if he'll show his moments then I have no problem with him to make a team next season, cause I think he should be ready in October.

Reactions: Dominance

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I could see Mittelstadt skating on Cozens' wing in the NHL one day. Ideally, though, both would progress to become centres at the NHL level. Can never have enough of those.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I could see Mittelstadt skating on Cozens' wing in the NHL one day. Ideally, though, both would progress to become centres at the NHL level. Can never have enough of those.
With how quickly the Sabres are falling in the standings they might have a legit shot at Byfield as well.

Another 3 points for Cozens last night.

Reactions: Dominance

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I would also say that even though he didn't light up the scoreboard there, Mittelstadt was very good playing with the Gophers. Best player on the ice, most nights.

I think BUF wasnt quick to adjust to the downturn in his play, and probably should've had him down in the AHL sooner, but who knows, maybe CM is just one of those guys who is a talented, but ultimately flawed prospect, and nothing the Sabres can do will fix that.
If that is the case, it's a shame. He does some things with the puck that very few can.

I think Cozens is a completely different player. Higher floor, maybe not as high of an offensive ceiling. Better all round player...more versatile.

Mittelstadt essentially hasn't developed since being drafted. I threw these numbers up in the Cozens thread on the Sabres board, but I'll share them here, too.

Mittelstadt's NHLe from his D+1 year to this season (draft year not included because the calculator I was using didn't have the USHL):
2017-18: 24
2018-19: 25 points in 77 NHL games
2019-20: 9 points in 31 games (24 point pace); 27 NHLe based on AHL play

Cozens, on the other hand, had a better NHLe in his draft year than Mitts has ever achieved to date, and he improved substantially this season:
2018-19: 31
2019-20: 41 and climbing

On top of that, Cozens has some physical traits that project more favorably at the NHL level, as well. Namely that he's got a bigger frame and is a much better/faster skater.

The only things that have in common as prospects are that they're drafted centers Buffalo picked in the top 10. As players, they're really not similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad