C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’ll be a good 2C who can do some of everything and has dynamic speed for a bigger center. He’s not flashy. His thread is not going to get a lot of comments because he’s not an exciting pick, but I think the Sabres made a good pick here.

The Sabres draft well. If they developed players better, they’d be a lot better of a team.

Reactions: Mitts888

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He has been noticeable, to me. He is very fast, competitive, and willing to engage opponents. Reasonably good with the puck, and makes sound, if not brilliant, decisions. Think he has a floor as a 3C, ceiling as a 2C, which makes him perfect for BUF.
Having two great skaters like he and Eichel down the middle is pretty good.

Don't really have a read on the quality of his shot, though. Once he puts on a few pounds he will be even more effective. Looks like a Greyhound out there.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He has been noticeable, to me. He is very fast, competitive, and willing to engage opponents. Reasonably good with the puck, and makes sound, if not brilliant, decisions. Think he has a floor as a 3C, ceiling as a 2C, which makes him perfect for BUF.
Having two great skaters like he and Eichel down the middle is pretty good.

Don't really have a read on the quality of his shot, though. Once he puts on a few pounds he will be even more effective. Looks like a Greyhound out there.
Nice 4 point game today for Cozens. 6 points in the tournament and could have had another 2 assists in the first game if not for some funny IIHF intricacies. Really like the way he hounds down and steals the puck. Size. Speed. Potential future 2C for sure.

Reactions: Dominance

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He has more to give offensively even if he is not showing it. His shot catches goaltenders and he's always coming at you with a lot of speed. Regardless of where he plays in your line-up, he generates positive shifts and can carry a line despite his wingers. You won't see that in the WJC this year, maybe next year as a 19 year old if he isn't in the NHL.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He has more to give offensively even if he is not showing it. His shot catches goaltenders and he's always coming at you with a lot of speed. Regardless of where he plays in your line-up, he generates positive shifts and can carry a line despite his wingers. You won't see that in the WJC this year, maybe next year as a 19 year old if he isn't in the NHL.

I've watched Cozens in the WJC, the WHL this season, the U-18 last year, the WHL last year, and the same thing comes to mind. He's a strong possession center and I like his size, his athleticism, his arsenal of shots is nice too, he usually competes pretty hard, but I'm just not a fan of his hockey sense and what it could mean for his high-end potential in the big league.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I've watched Cozens in the WJC, the WHL this season, the U-18 last year, the WHL last year, and the same thing comes to mind. He's a strong possession center and I like his size, his athleticism, his arsenal of shots is nice too, he usually competes pretty hard, but I'm just not a fan of his hockey sense and what it could mean for his high-end potential in the big league.

While you may or may not be right, the fact that the Sabres need Cozens to grow into a 60 point, 200 foot 2C behind Eichel probably fits perfectly with his ceiling. His size, speed and "Workhorse from Whitehorse" style are ideal.

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
He is really great on the PP. Nice speed and uses his size very well to make an impact all over the ice. Gonna be a solid player for Buffalo.

Reactions: Mitts888

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
While you may or may not be right, the fact that the Sabres need Cozens to grow into a 60 point, 200 foot 2C behind Eichel probably fits perfectly with his ceiling. His size, speed and "Workhorse from Whitehorse" style are ideal.

We'll see. I'm often wrong so this could be just another one of those mistakes of judgement but I really don't think Cozens will be a consistent 60-points player in the NHL.

As it stands now, while he's strong driving possession and that usually means that you'll outscore the opposition and obviously helps your defense a lot indirectly, Cozens is average at best at this point in time to my eyes while evaluating only his ability to defend against and react to the other team's offense. There is of course more room for growth and good coaching should come a long way helping him in that regard, but it is entirely possible that Cozens ends up a player that is physical and drives possession but is pretty vanilla defensively otherwise.

It is important that we also remember that 60 points as a strong 200-foot center is pretty much #1C territory for most teams, it's basically Ryan O'Reilly without his career year last year, so I'd lower my expectations a smidge. I could see Cozens thriving as a good 50-point forward in the NHL if things go well, which is still pretty good.

As a pro, I see Cozens a bit as a ''prototypical winger that plays center'' and think he could be more successful on the wing in the pros than on C if he adapted his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRfan and Mitts888

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
We'll see. I'm often wrong so this could be just another one of those mistakes of judgement but I really don't think Cozens will be a consistent 60-points player in the NHL.

As it stands right now, while he's really strong driving possession and that usually means that you'll outscore the opposition and obviously helps your defense a lot indirectly, Cozens is average at best right now to my eyes while evaluating only his ability to defend against and react to the other team's offense. There is of course more room for growth and good coaching should come a long way helping him in that regard, but it is entirely possible that Cozens ends up a player that is physical and drives possession but is pretty vanilla defensively otherwise.

It is important that we also remember that 60 points as a strong 200-foot center is pretty much #1C territory for most teams, it's basically Ryan O'Reilly without his career year last year, so I'd lower my expectations a smidge. I could see Cozens thriving as a good 50-point forward in the NHL if things go well, which is still pretty good.

As a pro, I see Cozens a bit as a ''prototypical winger that plays center'' and think he could be more successful on the wing in the pros than on C if he adapted his game.
I have wondered about the wing for Cozens as well but anytime you’ve got a chance to have a right shot, fast, 6’3 Center.... you develop it to make it work. Eichel has turned into a 100 point 1C so I take a 50-60 point 2C all day long.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
I have wondered about the wing for Cozens as well but anytime you’ve got a chance to have a right shot, fast, 6’3 Center.... you develop it to make it work. Eichel has turned into a 100 point 1C so I take a 50-60 point 2C all day long.
This is my problem with him, I would like to see him develope into a shutdown match-up 30-30 2c (his ceiling i believe) or eichel's perfect wing man with that size, speed, shot and compete both are outcomes I'd be ecstatic for.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Kinda interesting to see that pre-draft most of the scouts were talking about Kirby Dach and Cozens as opposites with Dach being the all-around player and Cozens the offensive threat, and this thread saying mostly opposite

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kinda interesting to see that pre-draft most of the scouts were talking about Kirby Dach and Cozens as opposites with Dach being the all-around player and Cozens the offensive threat, and this thread saying mostly opposite
Huh? I don't know what you were reading. Cozens was considered a better skater and more explosive, but Dach was always considered to have high-end offensive potential, it is just his shift to shift or game to game effort was questionable.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad