C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know it is under three different regimes, but I'm more on the cautious end of where he starts after seeing the Sabres repeatedly rush players. Under Regier, they rushed both Grigorenko and Girgensons, then Ristolainen and Zadorov. Of the four, one has hit his draft potential. Then Murray tried to rush Reinhart along, even when it was clear he wasn't ready in his D+1 season. Kowtowing to Nylander's handlers to put him in the AHL looks like another rush move by Murray that didn't pay dividends. There is even a case that Ullmark, coming off his double hip surgery, shouldn't have gotten the reps he did in '15-16. And then Botterill left Thompson and Mittelstadt twist this year when it was pretty clear they needed more time on the farm after stumbling out of camp.

They keep not hitting potential on kids who are put in early. If Cozens makes it out of camp, awesome, but I'm trepidatious about it given the history of the team. They so need this kid to hit his peak and missing the physical training time is going to possibly put him behind schedule due to his thumb. The last thing they need is to have him in games where he is overwhelmed in physical confrontations and gets into bad habits.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I know it is under three different regimes, but I'm more on the cautious end of where he starts after seeing the Sabres repeatedly rush players. Under Regier, they rushed both Grigorenko and Girgensons, then Ristolainen and Zadorov. Of the four, one has hit his draft potential. Then Murray tried to rush Reinhart along, even when it was clear he wasn't ready in his D+1 season. Kowtowing to Nylander's handlers to put him in the AHL looks like another rush move by Murray that didn't pay dividends. There is even a case that Ullmark, coming off his double hip surgery, shouldn't have gotten the reps he did in '15-16. And then Botterill left Thompson and Mittelstadt twist this year when it was pretty clear they needed more time on the farm after stumbling out of camp.

They keep not hitting potential on kids who are put in early. If Cozens makes it out of camp, awesome, but I'm trepidatious about it given the history of the team. They so need this kid to hit his peak and missing the physical training time is going to possibly put him behind schedule due to his thumb. The last thing they need is to have him in games where he is overwhelmed in physical confrontations and gets into bad habits.
I agree with this. I feel like the Sabres need to figure themselves out as a team and figure out how to move forward, instead of just relying on a constant influx of young talent to do that. They have a lot of talent on the roster as it is so they should let Cozens simmer in the WHL while they figure out how to build a good foundation for him when he eventually is ready.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I agree with this. I feel like the Sabres need to figure themselves out as a team and figure out how to move forward, instead of just relying on a constant influx of young talent to do that. They have a lot of talent on the roster as it is so they should let Cozens simmer in the WHL while they figure out how to build a good foundation for him when he eventually is ready.

Exactly this. Cozens should be starting in the WHL. I don't even want a 9 game preview. In the brief showing at dev camp before he got hurt, several guys looked better than him, and of those, 2 specifically (Thompson, Ruotsalainen) don't even have guaranteed spots.

I'm not even saying 'slow cook' him. Let him take the normal progression path of 95% of prospects. Cody Glass just played 2 post-draft seasons in the CHL, and looks like one of the best prospects in the league.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Exactly this. Cozens should be starting in the WHL. I don't even want a 9 game preview. In the brief showing at dev camp before he got hurt, several guys looked better than him, and of those, 2 specifically (Thompson, Ruotsalainen) don't even have guaranteed spots.

I'm not even saying 'slow cook' him. Let him take the normal progression path of 95% of prospects. Cody Glass just played 2 post-draft seasons in the CHL, and looks like one of the best prospects in the league.
Yep, Glass is going to be no worse for wear having played 2 seasons in the WHL post-draft. Obviously there are no guarantees, but that's my inclination.

Reactions: Chainshot

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

Not that I disagree with sending him down, but hadn't he like, not skated for a while or something before the camp?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I said it after the draft and I'll say it again, he should've been given way more of a chance to make the Sabres than he did. He's been the best of the CHL'ers from the 2019 draft in junior the last few seasons, and probably gains the least from another season in junior.

Buffalo needs a 2nd line center quickly. Mittelstadt isn't a center, and even if you try to force him into playing the position, he's not yet good enough to be a 2C. There are minutes to be won in the middle of Buffalo's lineup at center. Maybe Cozens wouldn't have been a 2nd line center this year and maybe he wouldn't have even played well enough to make the team, but I think he should've definitely been given serious consideration to make the team. He's going to be at worst a second line center in a few years.

It seems like the negative perception about his game leading up to the draft might've had an effect. Byram was considered leading into this season a shoe-in to start in the NHL. What has Dach proven in junior that he might play a season in the NHL that Cozens hasn't? He's also a less NHL ready player than Cozens. There was no talk about Cozens starting in the NHL. Cozens plays a more NHL ready game than both, in my opinion.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I said it after the draft and I'll say it again, he should've been given way more of a chance to make the Sabres than he did. He's been the best of the CHL'ers from the 2019 draft in junior the last few seasons, and probably gains the least from another season in junior.

Buffalo needs a 2nd line center quickly. Mittelstadt isn't a center, and even if you try to force him into playing the position, he's not yet good enough to be a 2C. There are minutes to be won in the middle of Buffalo's lineup at center. Maybe Cozens wouldn't have been a 2nd line center this year and maybe he wouldn't have even played well enough to make the team, but I think he should've definitely been given serious consideration to make the team. He's going to be at worst a second line center in a few years.

It seems like the negative perception about his game leading up to the draft might've had an effect. Byram was considered leading into this season a shoe-in to start in the NHL. What has Dach proven in junior that he might play a season in the NHL that Cozens hasn't? He's also a less NHL ready player than Cozens. There was no talk about Cozens starting in the NHL. Cozens plays a more NHL ready game than both, in my opinion.

They all could use some more time. Each one of them has a lot to learn still. Cozens isn't always used as a center in the Dub either and has looked better on the wing at times where he has a lot more opportunities to get his shot off. I don't think Byram was a shoe in for the NHL either. He was expected to start because of Johnsons injury but ultimiately wasn't ready to take that role.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
9 Pts in 4 games. Has anyone seen any of his games? How is he looking?

He is dominant out there. Not just the best player for the Canes but easily the best player for either team, and I am not sure it has been that close. He should have more points as he has set up teammates for multiple easy goals that they haven't converted.

Lethbridge is a very young and inexperienced team up front. They lost the 2-6th (Cozens was the top) forward point producers on the team so outside of Calen Addison, a defenseman, he is playing with nobody.

I think there is always a concern when a guy that talented comes back to the CHL, especially on a team like this, that they will think they can cruise or be frustrated at the lack of support around them but Cozens has not been like that at all and looked even better than he did last season with much more talent around him.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Hopefully Kelowna has the assets to make a move for him and Addison. Would be exactly what the team needs out of players who could potentially be available

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hopefully Kelowna has the assets to make a move for him and Addison. Would be exactly what the team needs out of players who could potentially be available

Kelowna is likely going to go all in this season. It's to bad you can't trade 17 and under players anymore because it likely means they are dealing every pick they have for the next couple seasons to do so but I'd imagine they will load up on Cozens, Addison and probably another center that can play throughout the lineup as well as some extras that can fill in. Will be interesting to see how the trade deadline stacks up this year.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Tough spot on Cozens in the WHL. Clearly has the skating, shot, and physical package beyond the junior level, but there are some areas of his game that can develop in junior to boost his ceiling. Cozens greatest weakness as an offensive player is an inability to make plays through the opposition. He mainly generates offence through physical mismatch and the ability to overwhelm defenders with his speed. He struggles to find the holes in defenders to make the breakdown passes that put stress on the defence and is nowhere near the threat in settled offence than he is in transition. All the top offensive threats in the NHL have this ability, and junior is definitely an easier place for Cozens to learn it than playing on the 3rd line in the NHL. I think his freak level skating size package will make him an NHLer no matter what, but adding this wrinkle and developing more offensive creativity in general completely changes his outlook as a player.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Kelowna is likely going to go all in this season. It's to bad you can't trade 17 and under players anymore because it likely means they are dealing every pick they have for the next couple seasons to do so but I'd imagine they will load up on Cozens, Addison and probably another center that can play throughout the lineup as well as some extras that can fill in. Will be interesting to see how the trade deadline stacks up this year.
Ya that rule really limits a team trying to load up, otherwise a piece like Wong would be a great chip to make a move with. Feel like they could of done better with the assets given up in the Seattle trade even as a huge Hamaliuk fan

Reactions: Daximus

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Tough spot on Cozens in the WHL. Clearly has the skating, shot, and physical package beyond the junior level, but there are some areas of his game that can develop in junior to boost his ceiling. Cozens greatest weakness as an offensive player is an inability to make plays through the opposition. He mainly generates offence through physical mismatch and the ability to overwhelm defenders with his speed. He struggles to find the holes in defenders to make the breakdown passes that put stress on the defence and is nowhere near the threat in settled offence than he is in transition. All the top offensive threats in the NHL have this ability, and junior is definitely an easier place for Cozens to learn it than playing on the 3rd line in the NHL. I think his freak level skating size package will make him an NHLer no matter what, but adding this wrinkle and developing more offensive creativity in general completely changes his outlook as a player.

What is the bolded based on?

I have watched him his whole career and not seen a single thing that you say here.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ya that rule really limits a team trying to load up, otherwise a piece like Wong would be a great chip to make a move with. Feel like they could of done better with the assets given up in the Seattle trade even as a huge Hamaliuk fan

I think they still have all of their picks for 2020 draft and their 1st for 2021, but they might not, can't remember if they moved it. I know their 2022 first is gone. They will likely be dealing pretty much all of their 2020 picks and likely most of their 2021 picks. They can likely recoup some after this run though next year.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
What is the bolded based on?

I have watched him his whole career and not seen a single thing that you say here.
I have watched a lot of Cozens as well, he is a complete physical freak with the skating ability and size combination and I love Cozens shot, he was a top 10 guy for me last year. I don't mean plays through traffic as a carrier, Cozens is excellent knifing through traffic and through defences with the puck. I mean purely as a passer, watch any game and pay attention to the number of his passes that get deflected. Cozens playmaking ability stems from his game breaking speed causing defensive breakdowns leading to open passing lanes. But he doesn't make the settled breakdown pass through defenders nearly as well. He hits more opposition skates and sticks than most elite players and in my opinion he has a real opportunity to improve on that this year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I have no question in my mind that the dub is the right league for him this year. Growing up in the remote area he did, Cozens didn't have access to the level of competition, coaching, and training that his peers did until later than most of them did. He's got tremendous physical tools, but I think he's still pretty raw as a prospect. Love seeing him light it up like he has been so far.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They all could use some more time. Each one of them has a lot to learn still. Cozens isn't always used as a center in the Dub either and has looked better on the wing at times where he has a lot more opportunities to get his shot off. I don't think Byram was a shoe in for the NHL either. He was expected to start because of Johnsons injury but ultimiately wasn't ready to take that role.

Byram was talked about as NHL ready. I don't think it was because of any injury. And I don't think an NHL team is deciding the development of their best prospect based on the injury of another player. That seems like awful management. Byram played terribly in preseason, and was sent back earlier than most thought he would be. I'm not even sure that was the right decision, but what happened was very different from the perception about his NHL readiness.

Cozens is a center. He might've played some winger in junior, but his skill-set fits the middle of the ice. He has the size for the position, although he could get stronger. He has a good two way game, as well.

And I always hear how players have so much to learn in junior hockey. What exactly does he have to learn in junior hockey that he couldn't learn in pro hockey? It's a cliche that no one ever wants to explain, even in Byram's case. I think Cozens is slightly more NHL ready than Byram, but I also think Byram has little to gain from dominating WHL kids for another season. This is why these players should be allowed to play in the AHL, but that's a different story. Cozens might've or might've not been capable of being an NHL'er this year. We don't know. I think it would've been smarter to give the kid more of a look than they did. He's not gaining much scoring 2PPG against kids that he already did well against the prior two years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Byram was talked about as NHL ready. I don't think it was because of any injury. And I don't think an NHL team is deciding the development of their best prospect based on the injury of another player. That seems like awful management. Byram played terribly in preseason, and was sent back earlier than most thought he would be. I'm not even sure that was the right decision, but what happened was very different from the perception about his NHL readiness.

Cozens is a center. He might've played some winger in junior, but his skill-set fits the middle of the ice. He has the size for the position, although he could get stronger. He has a good two way game, as well.

And I always hear how players have so much to learn in junior hockey. What exactly does he have to learn in junior hockey that he couldn't learn in pro hockey? It's a cliche that no one ever wants to explain, even in Byram's case. I think Cozens is slightly more NHL ready than Byram, but I also think Byram has little to gain from dominating WHL kids for another season. This is why these players should be allowed to play in the AHL, but that's a different story. Cozens might've or might've not been capable of being an NHL'er this year. We don't know. I think it would've been smarter to give the kid more of a look than they did. He's not gaining much scoring 2PPG against kids that he already did well against the prior two years.

He'll likely be traded to Kelowna and go on a guaranteed Memorial Cup run. He'll gain a lot more playing top minutes in the WHL then he would playing bottom 6 minutes in the show.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
As @Pavel Buchnevich alluded to, Casey Mittelstadt is continuing to struggle for the Sabres and it looks as if, unless he figures it out this year, Cozens might be the better centre option behind Eichel going forward. I've lurked around the Sabres board and some of their fans seem to think Mittelstadt would be best served being freed up to do what he does on the wing anyway.

Either way, hopefully Cozens tears the WHL up this year and we'll see what kind of an impact he makes in training camp next fall.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The good thing the Sabres have MOJO signed next season to continue at 2C behind Eichel for 1 more season. A top 6 in 20/21 of:
Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart
Olofsson/Mojo/Mittelstadt

allows Cozens to play cushy 3C minutes and we have a ton of cap space to sign a couple good wingers to fill in the roster. Also doesnt take into account a Ristolainen trade once Montour and Pilut come off IR

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

True as is Kelowna can't compete for the memorial Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad