C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Outside of Eichel, Cozens is by far the best forward prospect the Sabres have had since Thomas Vanek. And before that it was Pierre Turgeon. With Eichel having 6 years left on his contract having Eichel-Cozens down the middle for at minimum half a decade is exciting. Cozens has been exceptional to incredible all 4 games.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's like a Bob Gainey who can score. Buffalo could do a lot worse, but we'll see how he develops. Hopefully they take it step by step, though I am sure they are getting anxious.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If he continues his ascending developmental curve, the Sabres could have one of the best 1-2 punches at Center in Eichel-Cousins in the near future. Impressed by his maturity, 2 way play, and leadership intangibles. Hard to explain, but he just gives off positive vibes. Winning players usually have this, Cousins is this type of player.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's had a pretty great tourney so far. Will be interesting to see if he can bring this type of game in the NHL. I was very critical of him in his draft year and I still see some of the same tendencies in his game I saw back then but his overall game has taken a big leap forward, enough for me to think he can be an impact player in the NHL and that he'll justify his draft position. When he's on he's pretty fun to watch.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He's had a pretty great tourney so far. Will be interesting to see if he can bring this type of game in the NHL. I was very critical of him in his draft year and I still see some of the same tendencies in his game I saw back then but his overall game has taken a big leap forward, enough for me to think he can be an impact player in the NHL and that he'll justify his draft position. When he's on he's pretty fun to watch.

what are the tendencies that are his weaknesses? Curious, thanks!

Reactions: deflowd

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I love how I knew how good he was the whole time.

May sound a little far-fetched but to this day remains my favourite prospect of the 2019 NHL Draft class. Thought he was also a good player to build around. Thought he'd be a good pick for the Red Wings. But Sabres fans, if Eichel ends up leaving Buffalo, I think Cozens and Dahlin will have the Sabres under control.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I love how I knew how good he was the whole time.

May sound a little far-fetched but to this day remains my favourite prospect of the 2019 NHL Draft class. Thought he was also a good player to build around. Thought he'd be a good pick for the Red Wings. But Sabres fans, if Eichel ends up leaving Buffalo, I think Cozens and Dahlin will have the Sabres under control.
Cozens is developing nicely.... and Eichel honors his remaining 6 years of his contract and they form one of the Top 1 - 2C in the league. Sabres are going to surprise a lot of teams this year.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Cozens is developing nicely.... and Eichel honors his remaining 6 years of his contract and they form one of the Top 1 - 2C in the league. Sabres are going to surprise a lot of teams this year.

I see him being at best serviceable for the Sabres as he is ready for the NHL who already deserves top-nine minutes. But sceptical on him being rookie of the year, at best a nominee. But in 2-3 seasons, I see him being an elite 1/2C that has very good leader potential.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Outside of Eichel, Cozens is by far the best forward prospect the Sabres have had since Thomas Vanek. And before that it was Pierre Turgeon. With Eichel having 6 years left on his contract having Eichel-Cozens down the middle for at minimum half a decade is exciting. Cozens has been exceptional to incredible all 4 games.

Even Reinhart?

Reactions: deflowd

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Even Reinhart?

People had much higher expectations for Reinhart at this point. Cozzens has shown to be very effective opportunistic scorer. He leaves a lot to be desired if he wants to be a play driving center in the NHL. Which is what was expected of Reinhart. As good as Cozzens has been and improving well since being drafted, I still stand my ground and slot him as a winger at the NHL level. I am really rooting for Buffalo though, so it would not hurt my feelings one bit if Cozzens proved me wrong.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
People had much higher expectations for Reinhart at this point. Cozzens has shown to be very effective opportunistic scorer. He leaves a lot to be desired if he wants to be a play driving center in the NHL. Which is what was expected of Reinhart. As good as Cozzens has been and improving well since being drafted, I still stand my ground and slot him as a winger at the NHL level. I am really rooting for Buffalo though, so it would not hurt my feelings one bit if Cozzens proved me wrong.
Bro why have you spelt his name wrong 3 times in one paragraph. The correct spelling is right there

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Even Reinhart?

Reinhart was a higher pick and first forward chosen in the 2014 draft but at the same point of their careers (having both completed their draft+1 seasons, Cozens WHL campaign after being drafted and sent back was better then Reinharts). It is a shame we weren't able to see Cozens in the playoffs last year.

And overall Cozens is bigger, stronger and a much better skater. Unlike Reinhart Cozens looks to be a center in the pros. So yes, I think Cozens is definitely a better prospect then Reinhart was. Reinhart is a solid player, a legit 55-60 point RW1 but I have higher expectations for Cozens. I think Cozens can be a perennial 70 point "2C". I think Cozens will end up as a top 10-15 center but with Eichel also on the team he obviously won't be the 1C on the Sabres. Not saying he is going to be as good as Malkin but it is the same kind of situation. Malkin would be a 1C on a bunch of teams but in Pittsburgh he would be the 2C. Same thing for Cozens on Buffalo. Cozens will develop into a top 10-15 scorer among centers but will be behind Eichel the entire time Eichel is here.

Either way I am just happy that Buffalo looks to have drafted one of the best players from 2019 and didn't need to rely on a top 2 selection.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Has had a great tourney. I wasn’t huge in him at the 19 draft...had him outside my top 10, IQ being my largest concern. I’ll put my foot in my mouth a bit though and give him his props. I think he has a lower ceiling than most (probably a 2C), but will be happy to be wrong. Would be nice to see Buffalo string together some good years.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Cozens reminds me of Mark Scheifele. Both picked at #7. Cozens was rated higher pre-draft by scouting services than Scheifele was, but to an extent he is making a case that he should have been picked higher. I see a resemblance with the 2. I will predict he will be top 5 in redrafts in upcoming years. Definitely right now he has played himself into being the best player in the WJ tournament conversation.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I might've said this before, but Dylan Cozens would've been my first pick in the 2019 draft. Yes, even first overall. He also should've been named captain this tournament; filled in Kirby Dach's skates in a big way. Even if he wasn't NHL ready I'd still take him for overall. Always been a Dylan Cozens fan.

I personally believe he's better than Kirby Dach AINEC.

In the 2017-18 WHL playoffs as a rookie he just played outstanding enough to help the Hurricanes reach the conference finals only to lose to their former goaltender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Team Cozens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad