C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Heck of a player.

It's comforting to have a guy like this on the roster because even if he's not producing he's contributing, and he's still going to produce plenty.

Virtually no risk, high reward.

Reminds of the kind of impact Ryan O'Reilly can have on a game and on a team.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is actually reminding me more and more of Kesler. I thought of Jeff Carter before with the speed and shot but he can play a grinding role very well.

EDIT: If he can develop a mean streak I think it would serve his game well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He is actually reminding me more and more of Kesler. I thought of Jeff Carter before with the speed and shot but he can play a grinding role very well.
Sabres have a very good player, and a guy who will fit perfectly in that 2 C hole behind Eichel.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Major respect to this kid being the one consoling all his crying teammates. These one-off elimination games are often a bounce here or there. Sometimes you have a bad game, and sometimes the other team has a good game. There's nothing to be ashamed about losing a game like this.Very honorable thing to do to act as he did. He was unselfish in a tough moment for his whole team.

And he also had a great tournament. One weaker game doesn't take away that he's been great at this tournament two years in a row and was excellent in the WHL last year. The Sabres made an excellent pick. I look forward to watching this kid play in the NHL this season.

TSJS2020

Jan 6, 2021
Just a very good player. Not a superstar type upside though. He is like a better skating but a lower IQ Mark Stone type. I see him more as a winger at the next level than a C. He will probably play with Eichelmore so than be the 2C

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Sure fire NHLer for me. He needs to be in the NHL this year for his development imo. I think they should put him in that 3rd line center role. I think he has an upside of a consistent 30&30 type power forward.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Major respect to this kid being the one consoling all his crying teammates. These one-off elimination games are often a bounce here or there. Sometimes you have a bad game, and sometimes the other team has a good game. There's nothing to be ashamed about losing a game like this.Very honorable thing to do to act as he did. He was unselfish in a tough moment for his whole team.

And he also had a great tournament. One weaker game doesn't take away that he's been great at this tournament two years in a row and was excellent in the WHL last year. The Sabres made an excellent pick. I look forward to watching this kid play in the NHL this season.

Goes to show why he was a co-captain. Being that composed in a moment that must've as disappointing for him as anyone else on team Canada shows maturity. Kid looks like he has a good head on his shoulders. I'm looking forward to seeing him at camp and seeing where Krueger slots him.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hey everyone,

Today we have a look at Dylan Cozens' NHL debut in blue and gold. Look for Buffalo's #24.

Thanks for sharing! Pretty rough game. He had one nice shift at the end of the 2nd, but otherwise he was losing almost every puck battle, not really utilizing his speed, skipping opportunities to finish checks, and his shot attempts were muffins.

Not a big deal, he’s a 19 year old rookie. Most guys look out of their league in their first NHL game, and Cozens certainly did. From what I saw of his 2nd game, similar, though I only caught pieces of it.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he ramps up quickly, he’s got the talent, needs the confidence. If he doesn’t though, and continues to look not-ready, the WHL would be the only option, right? Can’t send him to the AHL like you can with OHLers this year?

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's pretty stark to see how much smaller Cozens look against NHL competition vs junior guys. Will be interesting to see how he'll adapt his game now that he can't rely as much on his size and skating combo to dominate.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Thanks for sharing! Pretty rough game. He had one nice shift at the end of the 2nd, but otherwise he was losing almost every puck battle, not really utilizing his speed, skipping opportunities to finish checks, and his shot attempts were muffins.

Not a big deal, he’s a 19 year old rookie. Most guys look out of their league in their first NHL game, and Cozens certainly did. From what I saw of his 2nd game, similar, though I only caught pieces of it.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he ramps up quickly, he’s got the talent, needs the confidence. If he doesn’t though, and continues to look not-ready, the WHL would be the only option, right? Can’t send him to the AHL like you can with OHLers this year?
Cozens looked just fine and isn’t going anywhere. Pretty tough to gauge two games against Washington who are a big heavy team not far removed from winning the Cup. Cozens is a pretty big guy as well, look what happened to Robertson who is still too small / weak for the NHL and now out potentially long term.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
It's pretty stark to see how much smaller Cozens look against NHL competition vs junior guys. Will be interesting to see how he'll adapt his game now that he can't rely as much on his size and skating combo to dominate.
The NHL is absolutely a men’s league. Did you see the picture of Zegras standing beside Getzlaf?Looked like a father and son. Lol

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So would Kariya and MSL, your point?
MSL didn't exactly look like a kid, probably could have chosen a better example.

Anyway, Cozens probably is not quite ready for NHL, IMO he'd do well to have a full season and try again next year.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
MSL didn't exactly look like a kid, probably could have chosen a better example.

Anyway, Cozens probably is not quite ready for NHL, IMO he'd do well to have a full season and try again next year.
Two very good NHL games into his career on the third line and you’ve already thrown in the towel on him? I’m glad it’s not your decision to make. He’s playing great, and those points will come in due course.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Enjoyed watching him play for Canada at the World Juniors! Kinda neat given the timing of this season that he can transition right to his first pro season afterward.

I noticed he's on the 2nd line for Buffalo now. Sabres fans, how's he looking, especially given Staal reportedly has not looked good so he can't really rely on a great center?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Enjoyed watching him play for Canada at the World Juniors! Kinda neat given the timing of this season that he can transition right to his first pro season afterward.

I noticed he's on the 2nd line for Buffalo now. Sabres fans, how's he looking, especially given Staal reportedly has not looked good so he can't really rely on a great center?
Solid, not spectacular offensively so far. He's created some chances. He really has stuck his nose in off the jump with good all-around play for his age. It's obvious he has a high floor as a two-way NHLer.

Late in the last game coach shook things up to try pushing for a goal, so Skinner moved to the second line in Cozens' place. No idea if that was temporary or not. Personally I'd been wanting Skinner - Staal - Cozens as a line with Olofsson being the one moved. Staal has not been good so far for sure but there's certainly hope that he's just finding his legs in this crazy season.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
The prospect with the most bust potential according to the armchair HF experts.

I remember that prior to the 18-19 season he was widely considered to be a top three pick but those "arm chair experts" and scouts began to pick apart his game and questioned his IQ and while he had a good season in the WHL, it wasn't eye popping. So he (luckily) fell to Buffalo with the 7th pick. It was a great pick as this kid was destined to be a player and there is no doubt he will develop into solid second line or even a 1B center. He will always have a positive impact on every game he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad