C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Dylan really plays a smart 200 foot game. High compete and his skating on the backcheck to disrupt plays isn't something I have seen from a Sabres player in a long time. Someone mention a Couturier comparison last night and I certain see that more than the Jeff Carter.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wonder if the NYR players knew what the Sabres were trying to do on the power play, all night, every powerplay... Absolutely embarrassing. Good for Cozens, always liked him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I wonder if the NYR players knew what the Sabres were trying to do on the power play, all night, every powerplay... Absolutely embarrassing. Good for Cozens, always liked him.
Well yeah they generally do, it’s part of the Pre-scout

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You gotta be happy with this kid's first few games. He fits in well offensively wherever he's put, brings speed and effort, plays a mature and committed defensive game, and clearly has strong mental attributes. Looks like he may be getting on a bit of a roll offensively. The 2nd PP unit is really looking good and he's definitely part of the why.

Great release! Kid's a keeper. Really happy for the Sabres. They needed one of their forward prospects to break through after Nylander didn't work out and Mittelstadt looking like he'll be something of a project.
OT, but, yeah, Mitts is definitely a project. Last season I'd adopted the faithless position that if he ever became a useful player on a good Sabres team, or brings in a piece that is that, that's a big win.

That said he clearly added some speed in the off-season. With a plan in place to sit Cozens out every so often for rest and press box education, Mitts got to play two games ago and fit in quite well, looking better than Tage Thompson had in previous games. That's encouraging at least, though my position remains that anything would be a win at this point because he'd been quite a dud up til now, especially in his seeming lack of commitment to really putting in the work off ice, which perhaps finally changed these last 10 months.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Honestly it wasn't what they normally do or even what PP1 was trying to do up until after Cozens scored on PP2. Ever since last season's crazy start with the hot powerplay, Olofsson smashing in goals, PP1 has been solely focused on getting Olofsson or Eichel a half-wall one-timer or quick wrister while PP2 was just crap. PP1 was doing that earlier in the game. When Cozens scored people were sarcastically commenting on how they didn't know someone could score not from the half-wall. Then Jack scored the same way later on.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Has he been a mainstay with Staal on the 2nd line or has he bounced around? Scoreless in his last 3 games (though there's nothing wrong with that).

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Has he been a mainstay with Staal on the 2nd line or has he bounced around? Scoreless in his last 3 games (though there's nothing wrong with that).
He's been kept on the Staal line as far as I've seen, which is surprising considering Kruger seems to like to bring out the blender every game. I think he's also on PP2.
The team is not really clicking offensively right now. They have to work for all their goals and get greasy ones. Hopefully things get a little more fluid as the season wears on.

Reactions: NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
He's been kept on the Staal line as far as I've seen, which is surprising considering Kruger seems to like to bring out the blender every game. I think he's also on PP2.
The team is not really clicking offensively right now. They have to work for all their goals and get greasy ones. Hopefully things get a little more fluid as the season wears on.
Staal is probably seen as a good role model for Cozens, in both hockey and non-hockey terms. He's a good guy for Cozens to stick with and emulate.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sabres fans, how does it look like he's handling this tough season? I'm reading around that Eichel has pretty much quit. I really hope he doesn't get too demoralized by that and just focuses on playing hard and doing his thing regardless of the rest of the team.

FromChaos22

Jan 10, 2008
Los Angeles
I don't think a young rookie gets demoralized eh? I'm sure he's working hard every day and eager to get better regardless of how bad the Pegula's are, how bad Ralph is, how soft Jack is, how the cap is trashed with Skinner, how they're going to re-sign Hall long-term, etc...

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
With Staal being traded and Eichel injured, I imagine Cozens has to be filling one of the top 6 centre spots, no? Sabres fans, has his role increased at all? Seems like a great opportunity for both he and Mittelstadt to step up.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
With Staal being traded and Eichel injured, I imagine Cozens has to be filling one of the top 6 centre spots, no? Sabres fans, has his role increased at all? Seems like a great opportunity for both he and Mittelstadt to step up.

Both are still playing wing right now (our centers are Eakin, Lazar and Sheahan lmao). If they Reinhart this kid, I'll be so mad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad