C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am aware, but I don't think he will be as good as Zibanejad, probably not even close.

It's a good comparison, in my opinion. Like Cozens, Zibanejad is not the best passer nor does he have the best hockey IQ, but he's good enough in both areas that he's not held back, which allows the rest of his game which is better than league average to make him a very good player. I don't think Cozens is below league average in any of the main areas of the game.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Because he is not Swedish ?

Cozens has yet to step on NHL surface first but he is not being compared to Naslund.

Its Zibanejad.

Cozens has poor passing and IQ, unlike Zibanejad. His shot and hands are nowhere near as good, the only thing Cozens does as well as Zibanejad is skating. Nationality is not relevant.

Reactions: Lays

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
After reading all of this, I think it is all about nationality.

It isn’t, it would be more about the league he played in and the numbers he put up. The WHL is worse than the OHL and USHL and he still put up good but not great numbers while displaying poor passing, average IQ and not more than decent hands. People think he is good just because he is tall, in no world should he be close to Cole Caufield, but he is ranked higher because of Height which doesn’t mean much anymore. This makes me question if he can become a number one Center at the NHL level. I don’t judge players on nationality, atleast not in my mind, but it could be in your head the guys you support are better of course, I don’t know. I am a Rangers fan too so that could play a subconscious part.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It isn’t, it would be more about the league he played in and the numbers he put up. The WHL is worse than the OHL and USHL and he still put up good but not great numbers while displaying poor passing, average IQ and not more than decent hands. People think he is good just because he is tall, in no world should he be close to Cole Caufield, but he is ranked higher because of Height which doesn’t mean much anymore. This makes me question if he can become a number one Center at the NHL level. I don’t judge players on nationality, atleast not in my mind, but it could be in your head the guys you support are better of course, I don’t know. I am a Rangers fan too so that could play a subconscious part.
Is that so ? This and past playoffs shows otherwise.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

It shows that good coaching and goaltending wins, it doesn’t have to do with height. The 2015-2017 playoffs say that Height doesn’t matter if what you are saying is the case. Strength and Height are also very different things, Cozens is currently lanky and weak.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's a tournament of champions, it's literally best vs best.

NCAA > CHL > USHL and look no further than average age.

If this was about the best team in each league making their league better than the other leagues, the USHL would be the best junior league in the world.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If this was about the best team in each league making their league better than the other leagues, the USHL would be the best junior league in the world.
Sioux Falls are better than RN?

You realise the NTDP doesn't count, and went 30-24 regardless of players?

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why don't they count? They play in the league.

They weren't 30-24. Thats if you consider the results for the 18's and 17's. The 18's were 23-5 in league play.
Because it's the same as counting the Canadian Ivan Hlinka team if they played, and they are apart of their own program completely indifferent to the USHL with different roster regulations and team selection options (no draft, US hockey's own program, a development program for US hockey, age out at 18). It's why the kids are drafted from the USNTDP and not from the USHL. Anyone drafted from any team in the CHL is drafted from the CHL.

These guys don't play in the USHL playoffs as they have other committments

Regardless, the wouldn't be the best teams in any of the CHL leagues

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because it's the same as counting the Canadian Ivan Hlinka team if they played, and they are apart of their own program completely indifferent to the USHL with different roster regulations and team selection options (no draft, US hockey's own program, a development program for US hockey, age out at 18). It's why the kids are drafted from the USNTDP and not from the USHL. Anyone drafted from any team in the CHL is drafted from the CHL.

Regardless, the wouldn't be the best teams in any of the CHL leagues

The Canadian Ivan Hlinka team doesn't play in the CHL. The USNTDP plays in the USHL and their results matter towards league results. The different roster rules don't mean they aren't part of the league. The USHL doesn't have to let them in the league, but does. The USHL counts them as a member of the league, so why do you think you can decide that they aren't a member of the league?

The US team that played at the World Championship would absolutely be the best team in the CHL. There is no team in the CHL with anywhere near that amount of depth or top-end talent. There's a chance every player on the team will be drafted, and there will be 7-10 first round picks from the team, including the 1OA and 2-4 others in the top ten.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Canadian Ivan Hlinka team doesn't play in the CHL. The USNTDP plays in the USHL and their results matter towards league results. The different roster rules don't mean they aren't part of the league. The USHL doesn't have to let them in the league, but does. The USHL counts them as a member of the league, so why do you think you can decide that they aren't a member of the league?

The US team that played at the World Championship would absolutely be the best team in the CHL. There is no team in the CHL with anywhere near that amount of depth or top-end talent. There's a chance every player on the team will be drafted, and there will be 7-10 first round picks from the team, including the 1OA and 2-4 others in the top ten.
Yes, because the CHL is a league of it's own. The team is made up of the top players in Canada. The NTDP is the Ivan Hlinka team. The USHL allows them to play, and the NTDP have no care where they finish or who they dress. It's rec games for them.

The NTDP is a program of it's own, that plays in the USHL as it sees fit. They exist in a separate entity outside the USHL. They are able to make their team outside the regulations of the USHL, which by itself excludes a team from being fairly compared to others, or an actual USHL team.

They've never won a league championship, as they never play the playoffs with their best as they play elsewhere at the same time, as they consider their team and program outside the USHL.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's a good comparison, in my opinion. Like Cozens, Zibanejad is not the best passer nor does he have the best hockey IQ, but he's good enough in both areas that he's not held back, which allows the rest of his game which is better than league average to make him a very good player. I don't think Cozens is below league average in any of the main areas of the game.

Yeah, i think Zibanejad is actually a pretty good comparison for Cozens. I originally thought kind of a less pesty Kesler type, but Zibanejad is probably better.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad