C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

MrBawb

Mar 6, 2019
I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but why ?

I've seen a lot of posts about Cozens not being the top 5 pick a lot of people seemed to think earlier.

Is it not as dominating as he should be ?
Skill just isn't there ?
Simply producing because of his size and/or teammates ?

Granted i'm not scout but all the video i've seen on him just didn't impress me all that much compared to some of the other players that are being talked about in the top 10. His large frame and relatively good top end speed may have helped him dominate in juniors but it won't be as much of a factor in the NHL when everyone around him is just as big and just as fast.

Again, I could certainly be wrong, just dropping my two cents.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
For some reason people need to find this years Zacha.

Cozens is the first highly ranked player with size around Zacha’s draftspot. Okay.

What does that even mean?

There's nothing wrong with being critical about a highly ranked player. Almost every year you have highly ranked guys who fail to live up to expectations or bust entirely.

2011: Strome (#5), Siemens (#11), Murphy (#12), Bärtschi (#13), Oleksiak (#14)
2012: Yakupov (#1), G. Reinhart (#4), Pouliot (#8), Koekkoek (#10)
2013: Drouin (#3), Nichushkin (#10)
2014: Bennett (#4), Dal Colle (#5), Virtanen (#6), Fleury (#7), Ritchie (#10)
2015: Zacha (#6), Crouse (#11), Guryanov (#12)

You could include a lot more guys on this list depending on what your criteria of disappointment is, like RNH is a pretty underwhelming 1st overall pick, Adam Larsson didn't really turn out to be the player he was projected to be, neither has Sam Reinhart so far. 2016 is too early but you have guys like Puljujärvi, Juolevi, Nylander and Jost trending in the wrong direction for instance. Notice that the majority of the guys I've listed are top10 picks.

In this years draft of the guys that have been hyped and ranked very high all season long Cozens and Podkolzin are in my opinion prime candidates to be part of the group of guys who will disappoint relative to expectations.

MrBawb

Mar 6, 2019
What does that even mean?

There's nothing wrong with being critical about a highly ranked player. Almost every year you have highly ranked guys who fail to live up to expectations or bust entirely.

2011: Strome (#5), Siemens (#11), Murphy (#12), Bärtschi (#13), Oleksiak (#14)
2012: Yakupov (#1), G. Reinhart (#4), Pouliot (#8), Koekkoek (#10)
2013: Drouin (#3), Nichushkin (#10)
2014: Bennett (#4), Dal Colle (#5), Virtanen (#6), Fleury (#7), Ritchie (#10)
2015: Zacha (#6), Crouse (#11), Guryanov (#12)

You could include a lot more guys on this list depending on what your criteria of disappointment is, like RNH is a pretty underwhelming 1st overall pick, Adam Larsson didn't really turn out to be the player he was projected to be, neither has Sam Reinhart so far. 2016 is too early but you have guys like Puljujärvi, Juolevi, Nylander and Jost trending in the wrong direction for instance. Notice that the majority of the guys I've listed are top10 picks.

In this years draft of the guys that have been hyped and ranked very high all season long Cozens and Podkolzin are in my opinion prime candidates to be part of the group of guys who will disappoint relative to expectations.

You just made me realize how brutal of a year 2014 really was if you picked in the middle of the top 10 lol

Reactions: Llamamoto and Zaddy

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I can't pretend to be an amateur scout, so I have no idea how well Cozens game will translate to the pro level.

But as a one-time Yukoner, I am rooting for Yukon-born-and-raised Cozens to have a great career and put Yukon hockey on the map. I even know both his parents (though I don't think I ever met Dylan when he was a kid), and am happy for their son's success to date.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know if he has the same potential as some of the other players who might go top 5 in this draft, but I think he's going to be a good player. I hear so many comments that he dominates due to size, but he's very lanky. He can dominate due to size a lot more than he does once he puts on more weight, and he doesn't dominate due to size that much right now. He plays a pretty decent all-around offensive game. He has a good shot, he's a good playmaker, he has enough skill and hockey IQ. He's not the supreme playmaker that Dach is or doesn't have the shot that Caufield does or the IQ that Turcotte does, but he's at least league average in all these areas of the game to go along with being 6'3 and a very good skater who has a good defensive game.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His specialty is zone entries.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
His specialty is zone entries.
Edit: I can't get my image of Cozens' head on Archer's body to upload from my phone. Sorry everyone.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Doesn’t have the grit Kesler had at the same age
Yeah but he can skate and shoot like Kesler and wouldn't surprise me if he turned out into a similar player. If you watch clips of them both they play very similar, not a lot of flashy moves just subtle moves and always trying to get to net.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I see something pretty similar to Dal Colle when i watch him. Not really sold on him
The main difference being that he is about 10x the skater that Dal Colle was/is. I wouldn't take Cozens in my top 8 though, but I could be wrong on the player. He has a lot of good tools, but I just don't know if he has the hockey IQ or individual skill to be a good top 6 player in the NHL. I do think he will be an NHLer, I'm just not sure in what capacity. I could see him ending up a Benoit Pouliot type.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I meant like the second coming of Zibanejad. Didn't mean like he will be 2 times better the player Zibanejad is.
Just to clarify.

I am aware, but I don't think he will be as good as Zibanejad, probably not even close.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The main difference being that he is about 10x the skater that Dal Colle was/is. I wouldn't take Cozens in my top 8 though, but I could be wrong on the player. He has a lot of good tools, but I just don't know if he has the hockey IQ or individual skill to be a good top 6 player in the NHL. I do think he will be an NHLer, I'm just not sure in what capacity. I could see him ending up a Benoit Pouliot type.
I didn't do much real watching this year as I was busy... But fwiw, I always walked away impressed with Cozens IQ. I think he is a player that consistently makes the right play, is in the right position and has some really awesome reads on his opponents (I love players with good reads). Because he's so good at knowing what to do and has the size/skating combo to put himself wherever he wants, I see him as a really efficient player who doesn't look flashy because he rarely has to.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad