C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would argue that it is just padding stats against a slower team. Also I think playing with Krebs is an easy way to get a lot of points because of his high offensive hokey iq.

I really think that line could maybe counter the Hughes and Caufield duo
Cozens had 5 points, of which Krebs was involved in 2...

He was the best player for Canada up front today

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Cozens had 5 points, of which Krebs was involved in 2...

He was the best player for Canada up front today
Things tend to happen in some games. Cozens is a great speedster and has a good shot, but I just don't think he has an amazing hockey IQ. Playing with players (Newhook and Krebs) that have good hockey IQ and more skill help speedy players that can shoot well. This is especially the case against lesser teams. Against tougher teams, players that don't have that high level hockey IQ get shutdown a lot easier.

This is my last negative comment on Cozens because I don't like to go on some players page to create doubts about their potential.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I thought Cozens had a hot and cold game..he missed on a number of chances, looked a step behind a lot/passenger on his line for much of the play. I expected more to be honest and this is a case of a player getting points while others generated the work for much of it. Not shitting on the kid, but those just stat watching, it wasn't as strong of a game as it should/could have been. Rees was a f***ing standout player, that kid was a monster out there today by the way...

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I thought Cozens had a hot and cold game..he missed on a number of chances, looked a step behind a lot/passenger on his line for much of the play. I expected more to be honest and this is a case of a player getting points while others generated the work for much of it. Not ****ting on the kid, but those just stat watching, it wasn't as strong of a game as it should/could have been. Rees was a ****ing standout player, that kid was a monster out there today by the way...
While Caufield is raised to the high heavens in his thread for capitalizing on wide open looks :help:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
While Caufield is raised to the high heavens in his thread for capitalizing on wide open looks :help:
Caufield has nothing to do with Cozens and how some might see Cozens..if you are calling Caufield a passenger on his line then you aren't watching the games at all..
I don't think Cozens had the strong game his stats would indicate, focus on that and not someone else that has no bearing here.

and I have been defending Cozens on the Hawks board as many have soured on him this past week..not easy to adjust to new roles/linemates like many of Canada's players have to do...one tournament is not a make or break for some of these kids.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Caufield has nothing to do with Cozens and how some might see Cozens..if you are calling Caufield a passenger on his line then you aren't watching the games at all..
I don't think Cozens had the strong game his stats would indicate, focus on that and not someone else that has no bearing here.

and I have been defending Cozens on the Hawks board as many have soured on him this past week..not easy to adjust to new roles/linemates like many of Canada's players have to do...one tournament is not a make or break for some of these kids.
I do agree that the Hawks should not be considering Cozens at 3. That decision should come down to Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, and Dach.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
You want him playing steady minutes and having a bigger role though. I mean one of my pauses with Podkolizin is he plays for SKA and it limits his role there. If he breaks through into one of those roles they will likely be interested in handing him a 4+ million dollar contract without the tax burdens...

He is one that I actually have the fear on in terms of would he come over and it does influence how I evaluate him. I don't want him toiling away on SKA's youth teams after this draft, but you want to make sure he plays a heck of a lot more than he did this year in terms of meaningful minutes. He has one of the best compete levels if not the best in this draft, there are things to like, but there are a lot of ifs piling up for the draft slot people are talking about, I would prefer not to be the team that takes the chance. There is a reason he has big consensus in the industry in terms of #3, he is a very talented hockey player despite some of the numbers, I think scouts have seen enough in terms of there, but yes in his case the team stuff in Russia does give me a lot of pause.

I would much rather take a guy like Cozens, who I think is also a pretty good floor player like Podkolzin in terms of he has a lot of translatable skills to the NHL when you watch him. Again I really do like the Jeff Carter comparison, if he can become that, it is a huge foundational piece for whatever organization does call his name in June.

Shouldn’t worry about $$$ from the KHL. 2 seasons from now they start a hard cap at $14M with No star player exceptions.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Never take someone with low hockey IQ in the top 8. He's dominating kids physically once that advantage goes away he is not going to be the same player.

I don't think he has a low hockey IQ. Is his hockey IQ worse than someone like Hughes or Boldy? I think its certainly better than Podkolzin.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don't think he has a low hockey IQ. Is his hockey IQ worse than someone like Hughes or Boldy? I think its certainly better than Podkolzin.
No kidding. What does “low” mean? For me, it would have to be a clear negative: giving away pucks, making stupid passes, awful positioning, etc. Cozens is the opposite of all that. He doesn’t have outstanding vision or visibly read the play far in advance, and rather plays a simple game. He can still make great patient passes, perform shot fakes to open up passing lanes, etc. as would be expected of any player who produces offensively.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No kidding. What does “low” mean? For me, it would have to be a clear negative: giving away pucks, making stupid passes, awful positioning, etc. Cozens is the opposite of all that. He doesn’t have outstanding vision or visibly read the play far in advance, and rather plays a simple game. He can still make great patient passes, perform shot fakes to open up passing lanes, etc. as would be expected of any player who produces offensively.

I think it comes directly from his playmaking, which I think is also underrated.

Cozens is more of an even scorer/assister than most forwards. Most forwards will have a lot more assists than goals. I think Cozens probably also will have more assists than goals, but I think its going to be a lot closer to even than the majority of players. One of his biggest strengths is his goalscoring. That doesn't mean he's a bad playmaker. He looks for his shot more, and thus will score more goals and get less assists. Its not a complicated calculation. How many players with 50 assists in their pre-draft season are bad playmakers? I think thats where the low IQ comments come from. Since his playmaking gets underrated, his hockey IQ gets underrated. A lot of hockey IQ comments come from perception of playmaking. A goal-scorer who isn't known for being a good playmaker will often be considered low IQ.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Hasn't been overly impressive in the tournament. His game today was his best. I like him better on the wing.

I've liked Newhook & Krebs better so far. And he's not in the same tier as any of them, but Brayden Tracey has been better too.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
IMO a Jeff Carter clone who is not HF’s favorite player either.

Shoots from everywhere, not a great passer but decent enough, good speed, not flashy but very north south and sometimes uninvolved (thats why people might like Krebs more).

I am a big fan of Cozens.

I've used the Carter comparison many times.

He'll be a very effective NHL player imo

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
IMO a Jeff Carter clone who is not HF’s favorite player either.

Shoots from everywhere, not a great passer but decent enough, good speed, not flashy but very north south and sometimes uninvolved (thats why people might like Krebs more).

I am a big fan of Cozens.
isn't cozens defense better (potentially) then carters?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He’s got size, but probably at the lower end up of that top tier of forwards. I’d have Newhook, Boldy, Caulfield, and Pod all ahead of him.... prolly place him just above Kaliev.

MrBawb

Mar 6, 2019
I suspect he'll be this draft's Pavel Zacha. Drafted high for good size/potential but never really pans out at the NHL level, at least not in the way that any team drafting him in the top 10 will expect. Perhaps a high end 3rd line C in the future?

Or... I'm completely wrong and he'll be great. We shall see.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I suspect he'll be this draft's Pavel Zacha. Drafted high for good size/potential but never really pans out at the NHL level, at least not in the way that any team drafting him in the top 10 will expect. Perhaps a high end 3rd line C in the future?

Or... I'm completely wrong and he'll be great. We shall see.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but why ?

I've seen a lot of posts about Cozens not being the top 5 pick a lot of people seemed to think earlier.

Is it not as dominating as he should be ?
Skill just isn't there ?
Simply producing because of his size and/or teammates ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad