C Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019, 7th, BUF)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Larkin and Cozens... Oh my god, have you ever seen either player actually play hockey outside of a 3 min highlight video?

Has anyone in this thread?

No wonder I rarely pay any attention to these forums anymore.
Yes. I'm not sure you have, though. You might have a better grasp of what's going on with these players if you paid more attention.

Reactions: Dominance
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Gotcha. Still don’t like the Larkin comparison though
In particular I think if you go watch his play at the Hlinka tournament earlier this year (it's all on YouTube), he looks a LOT like Larkin. But he didn't much look like that in the WHL with Lethbridge. And then at the U-18s it was like he was trying to show he could play more of a power game, which he can do, but his speed game is much better at this point.

As an aside, I thought Lethbridge was really hard to watch this year. That team had serious problems moving and possessing the puck. I think I put the difference down to the skill level of his teammates.

Last edited:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Yes. I'm not sure you have, though. You might have a better grasp of what's going on with these players if you paid more attention.

Hahah. I guess we will just have to wait and see

Didn't we already argue enough about Cozens in the Wings section a few months back when Cozens was ranked around 5 on most lists and I predicted him dropping. Now on many final rankings he has fallen as far as 10-14.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cozens is a guy I can see dropping because he doesn’t have one elite skill (except skating). It’s funny because he’s the type of player that coaches crave; a big body who puts in the effort and contributes in every zone.

I think his skating and shot are elite. If his shot isnt elite its very close. Hes one of the best in the top of this draft, except maybe Caufield.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
From @Larry Fisher article (not sure how to quote directly from article) https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-projecting-first-round/

“Last but not least, another doozy, with the Rangers rumoured to be coveting Cozens — they supposedly (and strangely) flew him to New York City and paid for his custom suit to be worn on draft day, according to a source. Those kind of stories always make their rounds in the weeks leading up to the draft — starting with which teams wined and dined which prospects at the annual combine — but this one seemed to have more meat to it than the typical tall tale.
If Cozens is still available at No. 8, Edmonton could become that trade partner for the Rangers, with the Oilers moving back to No. 20 with a keen interest in Kaliyev. The price to move up 12 spots could be Chris Kreider, who is one season away from unrestricted free agency and has long been considered a target for Edmonton.”

Rangers have been linked to Cozens multiple times over the past few months and there’s been some underground rumors that the Rangers are planning to trade into the top 10. I know Rangers for sure have liked Cozens for a while now but this just confirms it even more. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it but wouldn’t be too happy with it either.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
From @Larry Fisher article (not sure how to quote directly from article) https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-projecting-first-round/

“Last but not least, another doozy, with the Rangers rumoured to be coveting Cozens — they supposedly (and strangely) flew him to New York City and paid for his custom suit to be worn on draft day, according to a source. Those kind of stories always make their rounds in the weeks leading up to the draft — starting with which teams wined and dined which prospects at the annual combine — but this one seemed to have more meat to it than the typical tall tale.
If Cozens is still available at No. 8, Edmonton could become that trade partner for the Rangers, with the Oilers moving back to No. 20 with a keen interest in Kaliyev. The price to move up 12 spots could be Chris Kreider, who is one season away from unrestricted free agency and has long been considered a target for Edmonton.”

Rangers have been linked to Cozens multiple times over the past few months and there’s been some underground rumors that the Rangers are planning to trade into the top 10. I know Rangers for sure have liked Cozens for a while now but this just confirms it even more. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it but wouldn’t be too happy with it either.
20th + Krieder for the 8th. Interesting.

If Krieder shows interest in extending here, I'd do it.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
20th + Krieder for the 8th. Interesting.

If Krieder shows interest in extending here, I'd do it.
If it’s 20th and an extended Kreider, Oilers aren’t only giving up 8th. Even unsigned Kreider+20th would get more than 8th

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
If it’s 20th and an extended Kreider, Oilers aren’t only giving up 8th

If an extension is pre-negotiated, that might be where Puljujarvi enters the conversation. Hard to say and obviously dependent on Cozens lasting until No. 8, which is no certainty. It's all speculation at this point, I don't get the sense any agreements are in place as of today. The suit story was worth sharing and if the Rangers can walk out of the first round with Kakko and Cozens, they will definitely be happy. Likewise, if the Oilers could add Kaliyev and Kreider, they would be thrilled too by the sounds of it.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
If you were an NHL GM you wouldn't draft Addison before Cozens. Easy to announce bold predictions on a message board but you don't really believe it.

I get what you're saying but development isn't linear. You could take Cozens before in the draft and he could turn out worse. By no means am I saying that will be the case, it's just a wild prediction that probably won't happen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t buy that rumor because I don’t think it’s a good fit stylistically. He’s similar to Zibanejad, but I’m a fan of Cozens, so I wouldn’t mind it. If we are trading up, I’d prefer Turcotte, Dach, Byram or Zegras.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don’t buy that rumor because I don’t think it’s a good fit stylistically. He’s similar to Zibanejad, but I’m a fan of Cozens, so I wouldn’t mind it. If we are trading up, I’d prefer Turcotte, Dach, Byram or Zegras.
This isn’t Cozens’ first time being linked to the Rangers. For the past few months it’s been basically confirmed that they are very high on him. But I agree with your post

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
Welcome to Buffalo!
grumpy-cat.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this was one of the better picks in a very badly drafted first round.

The Cozens hate is mostly unfounded, in my opinion.

He’s not going to be a 60 assist 1C who is the primary playmaker on his own team, but you guys already have that. You have two of that, one from the blue-line. I don’t think this guy is exactly ROR, but he’ll give you some of the same things. Big center, good defensively and he can take the hard minutes that allows Eichel to play on the top scoring line. He’s also a very good skater with very good goal scoring, 1v1 ability and underrated playmaking. In a role where he’s the 2C, I think he’s going to be very good, and one of the better players in that role for his team around the league.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Well above average. Probably among the absolute best in the draft in terms of pure dangling ability.

Best in the draft in terms of dangling ability? Not doubting it, just wandering why he was starting to fall in the rankings. A perfect combo of being 6’3 and a very fast skater with a good motor. Seeing various ranges in terms of hockey IQ but seems like a fantastic value at #7. Sabres don’t need him to be a 1C and he should slot in very nicely as a 2C.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Best in the draft in terms of dangling ability? Not doubting it, just wandering why he was starting to fall in the rankings. A perfect combo of being 6’3 and a very fast skater with a good motor. Seeing various ranges in terms of hockey IQ but seems like a fantastic value at #7. Sabres don’t need him to be a 1C and he should slot in very nicely as a 2C.
I had him ranked at 6 before the draft. He only started to “fall” in the mocks of Internet nobodies after everybody was done playing hockey and yet, en masse, people began to decide Zegras, Caufield, and Boldy were better. He went right where he should have for you and will be an amazing second line centre for you. He can push the offence by himself in a multitude of ways while matching up against other teams’ stars. He’ll also slide nicely onto your powerplay, I suspect, as he plays the bumper position well (Eichel left half boards, Dahlin point, Reinhart net front, Skinner right half boards, right?). And he’s got great character and flash; he’ll be a fan favourite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->