Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The only people claiming Kylington was the inferior player are his typical haters

Can't say I'm shocked

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only people claiming Bennett was the inferior player are his typical detractors.

Can't say I'm shocked
Actually I gave room to say they were equal. But that doesn't fit your narrative about me, now does it?

Last edited:

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Last year I think Jankowski had higher highs, but Bennett was more consistently average. Bennett wasn't very good though. Just ok

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Actually I gave room to say they were equal. But that doesn't fit your narrative about me, now does it?

Jankowski was as good if not better than Bennett last year

But that doesn't fit your narrative about your own statement, now does it?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Jankowski was as good if not better than Bennett last year

But that doesn't fit your narrative about your own statement, now does it?

How would you define that Jankowski was better in a measurable way?

Also, this has gotten off topic as f*** for a Dube thread.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If Dube makes the team, how would these lines look?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Dube-Backlund-Tkachuk - (Backlund helps bring another kid along and shows him the ropes.)
Bennett-Jankowski-Lindholm
Frolik-Ryan-Czarnik

The scoring is well spread and we can roll 4 lines that hurt the opponents offensively and the Backlund, Jankowski and the Ryan lines can also play defensively(not saying that the Monahan line can't play D but the other line can do a little bit better.)

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How would you define that Jankowski was better in a measurable way?

Also, this has gotten off topic as **** for a Dube thread.

I wouldn't.
That was a post by that poster saying those words. Essentially, speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

I think Bennett was the superior player, but both were slouchy last year. Jankowski only looked dangerous when Bennett was the best player on the ice for Calgary. Bennett really only brought his game for like 15 games last season, just not enough to be considered good.

I think Jankowski was below average last year, so was Bennett, but in terms of inferior players, Bennett was less inferior.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Dube is our #1RW, change my mind.

Neal and Lindholm are better players, who have shown a lot more at the NHL level, Dube has never shown the offensive ability to be used in a top line role, he has been impressive against the lower level talent in the pre-season which is nice but more needs to be shown to be moved to the top line, young guys are usually better used if they are slowly brought in to learn the NHL system rather than thrown right into the biggest minutes on the team, Lindholm already looked good on the right side although in limited minutes, using Neal or Lindholm on the 3rd line is a waste of their talents.

Now if you move Lindholm to center full time maybe then but I still don't see why Dube would be put in that spot over Neal or even Bennett at this point.

I don't think the Flames can take a risk of throwing him there and hoping it works with how competitive the Pacific division is behind SJ. It seems like an awfully big risk with little reason to think that it is the best option for the team. It also seems like something that makes sense to try mid-season after we see what Dube can do against actual NHL talent.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If Dube makes the team, how would these lines look?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Dube-Backlund-Tkachuk - (Backlund helps bring another kid along and shows him the ropes.)
Bennett-Jankowski-Lindholm
Frolik-Ryan-Czarnik

The scoring is well spread and we can roll 4 lines that hurt the opponents offensively and the Backlund, Jankowski and the Ryan lines can also play defensively(not saying that the Monahan line can't play D but the other line can do a little bit better.)

I don't understand why we would move Tkachuk to his off wing to try and shoe horn Dube into the top 6 or move Lindholm down to play with Bennett and Jankowski when that pair was already a poor fit last year.

I think if you want to try and have Backlund help another kid along hamstringing our 2nd line is a poor way to do it, in that case I would rather have:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett or Tkachuk-Ryan-Lindholm depending on Lindholms ability to play C

and then have Dube helped on the 3rd line with:

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

That way Tkachuk can play on his natural wing and have his line focus primarily on scoring. while still playing solid defense, and the Backlund can still provide offense but Dube is not in a role where the scoring is really needed.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think its way too early in the game to be making dogmatic statements about Dube's abilities... pro or con. Based on how he's played so far, he deserves a chance to prove himself in the NHL. After that, its up to him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Bennett has been a disappointment so far. To say otherwise is being disingenuous. Dube, so far, has been a surprise. However, he may turn out to be another Bennett who played very well in his first NHL preseason and season... and then digressed from there. Who knows... maybe he'll be another Tkachuk or Monahan.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
The only people claiming Bennett was better are his typical fanboy apologists.

Can't say I'm shocked

There's literally like no argument to suggest Jankowski was better than Bennett last year.

And absolutely hilarious to make a statement like that coming from you

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I mean, similar production in less games for one.

On top of similar production, Bennett:

-Had better possession stats (CF%, FF%, SF%)
-Controlled a higher majority of scoring chances and high danger scoring chances when he was on the ice compared to Jankowski.
-Had a crap ton more individual scoring chances and high danger scoring chances
-Had a lower oiSH%
- many more things

On the surface you could say Janko was as good as Bennett but as you dig deeper, it not only becomes clear that saying Janko was better than Bennett is a dumb and wrong thing to say, but that Bennett was in fact quite superior last season

Reactions: RedHot

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean, similar production in less games for one.

They were both underwhelming.
Which is why I'm happy that Calgary got Ryan, Czarnik and are able to have Frolik in the bottom 6. It's why I'm also sad we look dead-set on playing them together again.

I think having Janko on the 4th line as the 4C and Benny on the third line as the 3LW is the better option.

Benny - Ryan - Frolik to me is a dynamite 3rd line. Two offensive guys, two guys who have good defensive IQ, the best utility knife in the league and faceoffs out the wahzoo (Ryan being a league-wide leader, RH, Benny, while not great, LH).

Still think the right make-up for this team is:

Top 6
Benny - Doc - Frols
Doobs/Mangi - Janko - Czarnik

Name a 4th line that could easily deal with that fourth line. That would be an up-and-coming third line on a number of teams.

Reactions: 7th round pick

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't.
That was a post by that poster saying those words. Essentially, speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

I think Bennett was the superior player, but both were slouchy last year. Jankowski only looked dangerous when Bennett was the best player on the ice for Calgary. Bennett really only brought his game for like 15 games last season, just not enough to be considered good.

I think Jankowski was below average last year, so was Bennett, but in terms of inferior players, Bennett was less inferior.

This seems extremely out of touch. I think you have it backwards. Bennett looked acceptable when Jankowski looked like the best player on the ice. There hasn't been a game since his rookie season where Bennett looked like a top line player, let alone the best player on the ice.

I'll take Jankowski over Bennett any day of the week. I think this season Bennett will really be left behind by Jankowski and now possibly Dube. Bennett will be on the 4th line by the end of the year and will be in tough to find anything more than a 1 year last chance deal in the NHL.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Name a 4th line that could easily deal with that fourth line. That would be an up-and-coming third line on a number of teams.

You are riding the hype train a little too hard.

As much potential as that has to be another third line, as it stands is it's a 3rd liner C at best and two unproven AHL players.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This seems extremely out of touch. I think you have it backwards. Bennett looked acceptable when Jankowski looked like the best player on the ice. There hasn't been a game since his rookie season where Bennett looked like a top line player, let alone the best player on the ice.

I'll take Jankowski over Bennett any day of the week. I think this season Bennett will really be left behind by Jankowski and now possibly Dube. Bennett will be on the 4th line by the end of the year and will be in tough to find anything more than a 1 year last chance deal in the NHL.

Always love when people watch the same thing and see something completely different.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You are riding the hype train a little too hard.

As much potential as that has to be another third line, as it stands is it's a 3rd liner C at best and two unproven AHL players.

Third line C plus two guys who could be very, very good. I'll take it. In terms of fourth line, I take that 10/10 times over: Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer or Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer. Hype thrusters engaged. It'd be among the best 4th lines in hockey.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Third line C plus two guys who could be very, very good. I'll take it. In terms of fourth line, I take that 10/10 times over: Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer or Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer. Hype thrusters engaged. It'd be among the best 4th lines in hockey.

I don't disagree that I like it more, but at the same time it has the potential to be even worse than some of those lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad