Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There's a spot open on the fourth line there for the taking. Whether or not Dube takes it however is dependent on factors that aren't really in his control, namely, whether management would prefer to see him get top minutes in Stockton and further develop his offensive abilities versus fourth line minutes with the Flames where he's pushed into more of a checker/grinder role. Or whether they see him as a centre (injury recall) or as a winger.

There's still a whole lot of pre-season left. We'll have to see whether he can keep it up against a higher level of competition and whether or not he meshes with actual NHL linemates. Also, he just turned 20; people should know by now that Treliving likes 'the process.'

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don’t want Dube on the 4th line at all. This kid should be developed as a top scorer.

That seems a little hopefully as he never was a top scorer even in junior.

I am sure there are some success stories of guys turning into better scorers in the NHL than they were in juniors but I have to think they are the exception and don't see anything out of Dube that would have him as being a top scorer.

He looks like a responsible middle 6 guy that can contribute at both ends of the rink.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Had Dube not missed time from the World Juniors, he would have been a top scorer in the WHL.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So we effectively got Jokipakka (Who played like a poor man's Mattias Ekholm in his 2015-2016 Flames stint), Pollock, and Dube for Russell. Tre keeps on winning small trades and generally big ones (Won the 1st Hamilton trade easily, and although soon to tell looks like he's won the 3rd Hamilton trade as well).

Aug 3, 2010
Sam Steel draft + 2
83 points in 54 games

Dillon Dube draft +2
84 points in 53 games

To me Sam Steel is the best offensive player in the WHL and he had almost identical numbers to Dillon
Too general of a comparison without further context but I am a big fan of Steel. Hoping for a similar or better trajectory for Dube.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think Dube could earn a third line spot if he keeps it up. But he has yet to learn the hard lessons Sam has learned. If Sam discovers that he has hands and gets selfish with the puck and shoots more he will succeed. I like what I've seen from him so far this preseason. All he needs is to pot a few for his confidence.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Real question is if Dube can outplay Bennett for a top-9 spot. (Cue angry emojis)

It wouldn't take much. The fact that Sam looks slated for fourth line usage to me means the organisation is not interested in gifting him opportunities anymore.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
What if, and this is a crazy thought, you put Dube and Bennett together. Bennett finally has a good linemate.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What if, and this is a crazy thought, you put Dube and Bennett together. Bennett finally has a good linemate.
Jankowski was as good if not better than Bennett last year. This whole blaming linemates crap needs to quit, put the blame where it belongs. On Bennett himself.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Jankowski was as good if not better than Bennett last year. This whole blaming linemates crap needs to quit, put the blame where it belongs. On Bennett himself.

Not to mention playing on Backlund's wing as a rookie.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

This really isn't true, and I'm a huge Jankowski fan. Jankowski had better goal scoring finish than Bennett(for that matter, Janko had better finish than Gaudreau too, trailing only Monahan/Tkachuk/Ferland in that area), but created very little if anything and often struggled away from the puck outside of desperate shot blocking attempts. Jankowski has way more to show, but Bennett was no doubt the superior player on that line last year by a fair margin as he drove all the offense and was by far the best defensive and transitional player on the line. Dube on the other hand drives play as much as Bennett and moreso than Jankowski. There's merit to saying Bennett deserves a linemate like Dube, which takes the heavy play driving load off of him, as with Jagr last year. This, like your "Bennett takes forechecking penalties because he's playing center" is just you projecting your anti-Bennett bias onto the actual on-ice product.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only people claiming Bennett was better are his typical fanboy apologists.

Can't say I'm shocked

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The only people claiming Bennett was the inferior player are his typical detractors.

Can't say I'm shocked

Reactions: FerklundCGY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad