Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
What are your thoughts on lamar jackson? On the ravens going forward or if the Bills took him? I am not a big fan of his future

I was a huge Lamar Jackson fan before the 2018 draft. When the Bills moved up I was hoping it was Jackson, not Rosen. That said, I think the two best QB's in the NFL are Mahomes and Wilson by a lot. Lamar is in the next tier and he's very talented on a loaded roster but he's a bit overrated by some after last year.

Moving forward I expect him to continue to flourish. He has a 19-3 record with 2 of his losses to Mahomes. His defense will be far better this year. He will be a force to reckon with in the AFC for years to come.

Lamar is the one player out of Mahomes and Watson that I could buy as not a good fit for Buffalo. Not because he's not a great player but in order to unlock Lamar you need to build to him and I just don't see Beane and McDermott as wanting to move outside the lines like that. If he had been drafted by Buffalo I think he's the QB who looks the worst out of Jackson, Watson or Mahomes. He would still be playable as even Tyrod won 9 games here with no targets and a quick-strike offense that wasn't suited to his skills.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I was a huge Lamar Jackson fan before the 2018 draft. When the Bills moved up I was hoping it was Jackson, not Rosen. That said, I think the two best QB's in the NFL are Mahomes and Wilson by a lot. Lamar is in the next tier and he's very talented on a loaded roster but he's a bit overrated by some after last year.

Moving forward I expect him to continue to flourish. He has a 19-3 record with 2 of his losses to Mahomes. His defense will be far better this year. He will be a force to reckon with in the AFC for years to come.

Lamar is the one player out of Mahomes and Watson that I could buy as not a good fit for Buffalo. Not because he's not a great player but in order to unlock Lamar you need to build to him and I just don't see Beane and McDermott as wanting to move outside the lines like that. If he had been drafted by Buffalo I think he's the QB who looks the worst out of Jackson, Watson or Mahomes. He would still be playable as even Tyrod won 9 games here with no targets and a quick-strike offense that wasn't suited to his skills.

I remember when Vick first came into the league and was unstoppable. Until Monte Kiffin and the Bucs D figured him out.

It’s always a game of cat and mouse.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
This is like Allen's senior college season with the lack of any good college experience. With the way Beane addresses holes in the roster and them not touching QB, I am fairly confident in more improvement if they end up playing this year

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
No, because 2017 was the draft brought up and the only year he listed that meets his criteria was 2012.

Also, there is no way to project that Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold or any qb we chose would be what they are today in Buffalo.

That sounds like a cop out. So if Mahomes or Watson wouldn't be good enough in Buffalo what hope does Allen have?

I'll give you that QB discussion will never be purely settled. My view on QB's is that the truly elite players would be good anywhere..your Mahomes, Marino, Manning, etc. Lots of guys that can be good in the middle that fluctuate based on circumstance. You see a Tannehill here. And then guys that are just bad and would be flops anywhere. Those would be guys like EJ Manuel, Blaine Gabbert, etc
It's not a cop out it's the fact that either of those three had a leg up on Allen in regards to college preparation. Plus either of those three would have had to watch Peterman implode in front of them all while having a trash offense, especially the line. That one year could seriously derail a development curve.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I remember when Vick first came into the league and was unstoppable. Until Monte Kiffin and the Bucs D figured him out.

It’s always a game of cat and mouse.
Vick's had more than 20 passing TDs once in his career, eight seasons in. Lamar had 36 last year alone. I don't think that's such a great comp.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Vick's had more than 20 passing TDs once in his career, eight seasons in. Lamar had 36 last year alone. I don't think that's such a great comp.

RPO also wasn’t a thing in the early 2000s. Stats from 20 years apart aren’t helpful.

Vick was a young version of Steve Young who was nearly more of a threat to run than pass. He had defenses in a bind until the Bucs ran a four lane push contain pass rush to keep him in the pocket.

Some defensive mind will figure Jackson out. Always happens.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
RPO also wasn’t a thing in the early 2000s. Stats from 20 years apart aren’t helpful.

Vick was a young version of Steve Young who was nearly more of a threat to run than pass. He had defenses in a bind until the Bucs ran a four lane push contain pass rush to keep him in the pocket.

Apparently, Tenn followed the blueprint Buffalo used to contain Lamar.

It is going to be interesting to follow Lamar's career. I think he's been put in just about the best situation that caters to his skill set. I'm pulling for the kid to be a star in this league. He has such a great personality from what I've seen. Mahomes also seems like a great person.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Best thing to do against Jackson and the Ravens is to keep scoring points. Baltimore is brutal to play when they have the lead.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The Ravens also run a weird set with two to three TEs.

Defenses will eventually adjust. Always happens.
The Ravens are sort of insulated from this because there’s only one of them. Until we see a lot of teams go full dual threat, defenses will always have to get to them after they gameplan for the myriad of very good passing offenses.

As for the Titans, as flattering as the shout-out was (that entire infrastructure has weird respect for the Bills), that game had a lot to do with Tennessee’s ball control, Ravens drops, and Roman overthinking shit and not coaching to win the game in front of him.

Reactions: TalkingProuder

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This is a bit of a shocker, although it really shouldn't be as we see players affected by undiagnosed conditions every season. Good to see he'll be fine.
Nick O'Leary plans return to football in 2021 after undergoing heart procedure last month
NFL tight end Nick O’Leary had surgery to clear 100 percent blockage to the heart last month but is expected to make a full recovery and hopes to resume his football career next season.
O’Leary, the former Dwyer High and Florida State star, had an angioplasty on May 19 to reduce a 100 percent blockage of an artery. Doctors said there is no damage to his heart, and he should be able to return to football next year.

Reactions: CrazyPsycho

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
The Ravens are sort of insulated from this because there’s only one of them. Until we see a lot of teams go full dual threat, defenses will always have to get to them after they gameplan for the myriad of very good passing offenses.

As for the Titans, as flattering as the shout-out was (that entire infrastructure has weird respect for the Bills), that game had a lot to do with Tennessee’s ball control, Ravens drops, and Roman overthinking shit and not coaching to win the game in front of him.

Yeah, Tennessee's great plan still allowed 530 yards of offense and 29 first downs. If this is a blueprint for stopping the Ravens I would not follow it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sure, defenses adjust but you are closer to the "this is all a gimmick" territory than you should be. The kid won the Heisman in college football running a pro-style offense.

you inserted the gimmick idea, not me. every innovation has a counter which negates it to some degree.

Horizontal timing (WCO) was a reaction to the Steeler’s D in the 70s. So was vertical timing (Coryell). Bear D was a reaction to WCO. Tampa 2 was a reaction to both and a derivative of the Steeler D. Run and Shoot (sight adjustment) was a reaction to both bear and Tampa 2 defenses. 30 front defenses was the counter to the proliferation of passing. And so on.

Everything has a counter.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
you inserted the gimmick idea, not me. every innovation has a counter which negates it to some degree.

Horizontal timing (WCO) was a reaction to the Steeler’s D in the 70s. So was vertical timing (Coryell). Bear D was a reaction to WCO. Tampa 2 was a reaction to both and a derivative of the Steeler D. Run and Shoot (sight adjustment) was a reaction to both bear and Tampa 2 defenses. 30 front defenses was the counter to the proliferation of passing. And so on.

Everything has a counter.

That's true with all football systems. The problem with your counters is when the player running it is special.

See Mahomes in Andy Reid's spread/WCO hybrid. The counter to Reid was always attack/pressure and hope the QB can't hit vertically down the field. That's what the Steelers did to Alex Smith in the playoffs. You add Mahomes and now the best strategy is to get 5 guys up on the line and get there before your coverage breaks down..you need to guess because you can't cover all. That plan will soon fade as viable as Mahomes gets even better.

With the Ravens attack you see Navy running a lot of these plays in college football and when the talent is equal it's still a problem. Now add a QB that can run a 4.3 with the ability to dodge tacklers!

The systems matter but so do the players/personnel. There is a reason why these players won MVP..they are special talents and mediocre players running a great system will still look lost in a counter.

Joe Montana could could come back in his prime running old school WCO with Jerry Rice and defenses would still struggle to slow him down.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That's true with all football systems. The problem with your counters is when the player running it is special.

See Mahomes in Andy Reid's spread/WCO hybrid. The counter to Reid was always attack/pressure and hope the QB can't hit vertically down the field. That's what the Steelers did to Alex Smith in the playoffs. You add Mahomes and now the best strategy is to get 5 guys up on the line and get there before your coverage breaks down..you need to guess because you can't cover all. That plan will soon fade as viable as Mahomes gets even better.

With the Ravens attack you see Navy running a lot of these plays in college football and when the talent is equal it's still a problem. Now add a QB that can run a 4.3 with the ability to dodge tacklers!

The systems matter but so do the players/personnel. There is a reason why these players won MVP..they are special talents and mediocre players running a great system will still look lost in a counter.

Joe Montana could could come back in his prime running old school WCO with Jerry Rice and defenses would still struggle to slow him down.

Damn right they would!

Reactions: TalkingProuder

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Historically, very few players are so good they changed the league. Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Jim Brown, etc. Each forced schematic changes. Jackson and Mahomes aren’t at that level. Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers are examples to unique QBs who took the league by storm for a period. But they had weak spots and teams found them after time.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
But they had weak spots and teams found them after time.

Ok, I have no idea what you are talking about now. Young aged out and Rodgers is approaching 40 years old with limited weapons. I don't see that as anything to do with scheme stops.

I also think you are vastly overrating NFL defensive head coaches. Their schemes work when they have good athletes.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I remember I wanted Deshaun Watson so badly in 2017. I was soooo upset we traded down and passed on him. At the end of the day though, TreDay has become my favourite player on the bills and I couldn’t be happier with the pick today. Double edge sword :(

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
I remember I wanted Deshaun Watson so badly in 2017. I was soooo upset we traded down and passed on him. At the end of the day though, TreDay has become my favourite player on the bills and I couldn’t be happier with the pick today. Double edge sword :(

I do like his goalie academy. I'm with you. I've been fooled by so many QBs, but I'm happy with Josh. I like his fire and I think he's the guy.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Assemblyman Sean Ryan asking Pegulas to allow Bills season ticket holders to skip 2020 season
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB)–State Assemblyman Sean Ryan is urging Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula to allow season ticket holders to skip the 2020 season without penalty.
In a letter to the Pegulas, Ryan asks them to follow the lead of other NFL teams and let season ticket holders skip this upcoming season, and still keep their seats for the 2021 season.
He says some fans, who face a higher risk of contracting COVID-19, would prefer not to attend games in person due to age or underlying health conditions.

I'm sure the Pegulas will embrace this idea with open arms after they're shamed into accepting it.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Jordan Palmer on Bills QB Josh Allen: 'He's in crazy shape'
Palmer posted a series of videos on Instagram in which Allen looks noticeably bigger, not to mention with longer hair and beard thanks to quarantine conditions.

Allen says he's gained about three pounds since last season. His listed weight in the Bills' media guide is 237 pounds, but he appears to have reshaped his upper body in the offseason.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad