Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
That's not what Allen has been running. Daboll doesn't get enough credit for scheming one WR open.

NFL teams almost never do that because it’s FAR too simple and defenses will tear it apart.

It worked well enough for Buffalo to get to 24th overall in offense. Great? No..but good enough to beat bad teams with. Teams were overly concerned with Allen's mobility and they played too much soft coverage/zone. To stop Buffalo's offense you jump the routes you expect (last year Brown or Beasley, this year Diggs or Beasley) with pressure and man coverage. When teams did this the Buffalo offense stalled or worse.

You don't have to believe me, but I know what I'm talking about. He was running a half field offense. Tell tale sign of a progression is a moving helmet. Allen is reading at least half the field.

Reactions: Husko and Zman5778

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
You don't have to believe me, but I know what I'm talking about. He was running a half field offense. Tell tale sign of a progression is a moving helmet. Allen is reading at least half the field.

There's a whole mix of half-field, regional reads, and more that can be employed. I watched every snap of Josh Allen. When it was a passing play the goal of Daboll was to get the first read open as often as possible.

Reactions: Husko

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
There's a whole mix of half-field, regional reads, and more that can be employed. I watched every snap of Josh Allen. When it was a passing play the goal of Daboll was to get the first read open as often as possible.

That's one play.

Go read what I just posted on the who's who thread. I know what I'm talking about.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
That's one play.

Go read what I just posted on the who's who thread. I know what I'm talking about.

Allen's college coach had him doing primarily half-field reads in his draft year. Whether it's half-field or full field the point is that the Buffalo passing offense was very dependent on the first read getting open.

Trubisky has the same issue as Allen. The difference is Daboll adapts more and Nagy forces Mitchell to get past his first read more. When Trubisky got to play like Allen against Dallas he looked a whole lot better.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Allen's college coach had him doing primarily half-field reads in his draft year. Whether it's half-field or full field the point is that the Buffalo passing offense was very dependent on the first read getting open.

That's different story, and I agree with that. But the half field progressions isn't a forever thing. Roethlisberger did it for two years. Favre had similar issues coming out of Southern Mississippi.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
That's different story, and I agree with that. But the half field progressions isn't a forever thing. Roethlisberger did it for two years. Favre had similar issues coming out of Southern Mississippi.

Depends. Trubisky never has gotten better and he's been in the league 3 years now.

You can get by a lot easier now then 15 years ago because there are several ways to simplify the offense to make it more QB friendly. I think JP Losman could work today if he had the right coach (not saying he would be good, just usable).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Depends. Trubisky never has gotten better and he's been in the league 3 years now.

You can get by a lot easier now then 15 years ago because there are several ways to simplify the offense to make it more QB friendly. I think JP Losman could work today if he had the right coach (not saying he would be good, just usable).

True. The Patriots also made things easier for QBs by running twin, distinct plays on each side of the field. The QB can read half field, but the defense has to defend both sides because they don't know what side is the primary side.

Reactions: brian_griffin

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
True. The Patriots also made things easier for QBs by running twin, distinct plays on each side of the field. The QB can read half field, but the defense has to defend both sides because they don't know what side is the primary side.

Getting back to Josh what I would really like to see more of this year is Josh using his athleticism to buy time to make throws from the pocket. It happened a few times last year..even that Beasley stare down TD Josh used his legs to buy time. There was one play where Allen avoided the rush and then flipped the ball over a linebacker for a big 1st down. A few of those per game could make a huge difference.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Getting back to Josh what I would really like to see more of this year is Josh using his athleticism to buy time to make throws from the pocket. It happened a few times last year..even that Beasley stare down TD Josh used his legs to buy time. There was one play where Allen avoided the rush and then flipped the ball over a linebacker for a big 1st down. A few of those per game could make a huge difference.

that, and I’d like to see him more calm in the pocket

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Isn't that always the goal on a passing play?

Every team would like the 1st read to get open but Daboll has stolen some Shanahan stuff..not Kyle, Mike. Broncos ran a lot of plays with tons of window dressing just to get Rod Smith or someone open. Buffalo's offense is very dependant on that 1st read getting open. Allen also can then run or checkdown. Last year it was just read and throw or run if not open, this year they added the checkdown.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The Wonderlic doesn't mean squat.

Remember Bledsoe? Very High Wonderlic. Slow processor.

Mahomes mediocre Wonderlic. Incredibly fast processor.

This is the mindset of most Bills fans - they expect/demand a Mahomes, who right now is the best QB in the sport. there are 32 starting QB positions in the league, if Allen tops out at #10 that's ok, but it won't be for the media and fans.
I get the feeling he either becomes one of the game's elite QB's statistically, top 5, or he gets labelled a semi-bust.

i don't think we're going to see football in 2020. we live in a country that was built on liberty and unlike other countries where people have lived under autocratic rule be they monarchs or fascist leaders they conform to arbitrary rules better than we do.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Every team would like the 1st read to get open but Daboll has stolen some Shanahan stuff..not Kyle, Mike. Broncos ran a lot of plays with tons of window dressing just to get Rod Smith or someone open. Buffalo's offense is very dependant on that 1st read getting open. Allen also can then run or checkdown. Last year it was just read and throw or run if not open, this year they added the checkdown.
I feel like bringing the average depth of target in about 5 yards or so deserves some mention here. Not only did they add the checkdown, but they basically transitioned from an offense that worked because they flooded coverages with deep routes, to one that could get guys open off the threat of Brown going deep, plus like 4-6 games of a healthy Foster.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
This is the mindset of most Bills fans - they expect/demand a Mahomes, who right now is the best QB in the sport. there are 32 starting QB positions in the league, if Allen tops out at #10 that's ok, but it won't be for the media and fans.
I get the feeling he either becomes one of the game's elite QB's statistically, top 5, or he gets labelled a semi-bust.

i don't think we're going to see football in 2020. we live in a country that was built on liberty and unlike other countries where people have lived under autocratic rule be they monarchs or fascist leaders they conform to arbitrary rules better than we do.

I dont expect Mahomes.

But top ten QB play is my personal standard. If Allen isn't good enough then what? Buffalo has one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Are we drafting another guy?

And if Allen is just a low level starter were not going anywhere.

Reactions: Husko

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I dont expect Mahomes.

But top ten QB play is my personal standard. If Allen isn't good enough then what? Buffalo has one of the oldest rosters in the NFL. Are we drafting another guy?

And if Allen is just a low level starter were not going anywhere.

I hate the narrative that we are one of the oldest rosters in the league. It’s really misleading. The team values quality veterans for depth, so of course the age of entire roster is up there. Our starters and core players are not remotely one of the oldest

on offense alone we have:

Allen - 24
Moss - 22
Singletary - 22
Diggs - 26
Knox - 23
Morse - 28
Feliciano - 28
Spain - 28
Dawkins - 26
Ford - 23

And yes, if Allen doesn’t pan out then this regime has earned the right to draft another qb...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I have very little concern for Josh Allen as most Bills fans seem to. It's his Wonderlic score that I keep in mind, that test is very good and he scored almost at genius level. His arm, his legs, his brain - he will put it together. Not saying he's going to be top 5 QB, he might but if he tops out at top 10 that's great, you can win lots of playoff games with a QB ranked 10th.
See NFL: - Can an intelligence test forecast which quarterback draft prospects will have NFL success?

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I hate the narrative that we are one of the oldest rosters in the league. It’s really misleading. The team values quality veterans for depth, so of course the age of entire roster is up there. Our starters and core players are not remotely one of the oldest

Allen - 24
Moss - 22
Singletary - 22
Diggs - 26
Knox - 23
Morse - 28
Feliciano - 28
Spain - 28
Dawkins - 26
Ford - 23

And yes, if Allen doesn’t pan out then this regime has earned the right to draft another qb...

Its an old roster. Every team has recent young draft picks they call their core.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Its an old roster. Every team has recent young draft picks they call their core.

Buffalo has an old defense; they have a very young offense aside from brown and Beasley.
And the old players on defense are on 1-3 year deals and will be easily replaced with vets or next years depth. The age structure of the team is just fine. The narrative that the age of the bills roster is a problem is what he was arguing.

looking at the mean age is meaningless without considering all the other variables.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Man, I hope the Jets are dumb enough to pay Adams. No safety is worth 15$ million+. They are all replaceable.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

those were our starters (the fact many are recent draft picks kinda goes against saying it’s an old roster)

and the defense has some older vets, but a lot of young players in key positions. Thinking the age of this team is an issue or anything worth bringing up in terms of replacing Allen or our window is pretty misguided.

The structure of how this team has been built the past three years (through the draft) has been great.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
those were our starters (the fact many are recent draft picks kinda goes against saying it’s an old roster)

and the defense has some older vets, but a lot of young players in key positions. Thinking the age of this team is an issue or anything worth bringing up in terms of replacing Allen or our window is pretty misguided.

The structure of how this team has been built the past three years (through the draft) has been great.

Then why are you so defensive about it? The Bills have had an older roster in every year since McDermott arrived.

Last year got a bit younger where they drifted out of the top 3 for oldest but just eyeballing the FA signings they should be back this year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Allen - 24
Moss - 22
Singletary - 22
Diggs - 26
Knox - 23
Morse - 28
Feliciano - 28
Spain - 28
Dawkins - 26
Ford - 23

That’s not exactly a young offense. What’s the average age for a player in the NFL? 24? 25? Our offensive line is old.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Then why are you so defensive about it? The Bills have had an older roster in every year since McDermott arrived.

Last year got a bit younger where they drifted out of the top 3 for oldest but just eyeballing the FA signings they should be back this year.

Well if pushing back on your point is defensive I don’t want to do that.

I just don’t agree that the age of this roster has anything to do with QB decisions over the next few years

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Well if pushing back on your point is defensive I don’t want to do that.

I just don’t agree that the age of this roster has anything to do with QB decisions over the next few years

It might or might not. Certainly a veteran roster should have higher expectations than a younger one.

If Allen falters it comes down to record. 9 and 7 or better McDermott probably is very safe. 7 wins or less the seat gets warmer. At that point the coach might try to sign a veteran rather than draft another QB.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad