Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't think there is room for another RB on the roster.

I also get the impression they are pleasantly surprised with both Moss & Singletary as pass catching options.

I feel like Yeldon is pretty much redundant TBH. So although they are not the same player I could see him being cut in favour of Miller.

On the active roster? I agree there's no room. But I don't think we've maxed out our "veteran" practice-squad spots though. We're allowed to carry six players on the PS with unlimited NFL experience. If we sign Smith, I'd think we'd sign him to the PS.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
On the active roster? I agree there's no room. But I don't think we've maxed out our "veteran" practice-squad spots though. We're allowed to carry six players on the PS with unlimited NFL experience. If we sign Smith, I'd think we'd sign him to the PS.

I'm assuming Miller is good enough to end up on someone's active roster & won't accept a PS spot.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I find that less likely than that they'd simply replace Yeldon with him if he impressed enough. Unless his recovery is a very clear issue I'd bet he could land a proper roster spot. He was at the top of his game before missing last season.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Bills picked up Josh Kumerow from the Packers for the PS

this is what I responded to.

Which OP? The one you replied to was responding to him not being on the Bills practice squad.

“for the PS”

Not that it really matters - but if you're referring to my OP - I didn't say he was a PS player. At that point yesterday nobody had any PS players - all teams were still in the process of adding them.

He was one of the more high profile roster cuts in the league & Packers fans love him. Probably more likely their equivalent of Duke Williams but he did look OK in flashes I saw last year & I think it's an interesting add.

you did (see above) but I didn’t read or see any of the background.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So Fromm makes the team as the "developmental" QB. Better players than Fromm were cut by other teams such as Matt Moore.

By all reports, Davis Webb outplayed Fromm during camp. That said, most every team has a developmental QB on their roster and/or practice squad.

Barkely is one of the better backup QBs in the league right now, so that position isn't being touched. Webb is apparently quite the student of the game (reports are that he REALLY helped out Diggs with the playbook). As long as there's no resentment in the QB room (ie, Webb POed that Fromm made the team) or locker room, I've got no issue with Fromm being on the main squad. Frankly, if he turns out to be another Barkely, I'm pleased.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
this is what I responded to.

“for the PS”

you did (see above) but I didn’t read or see any of the background.

I said the Bills were adding him TO their PS after he'd been cut by GB.

You thought I said they were signing him FROM GBs PS at which point he would have had to go on the Bills main roster.

@vcv corrected you & explained the C-19 procedure to me.

But like I said - no big deal. :)

I wonder how they make room for him. They could easily carry 2WRs on the PS but could also drop Williams. That would piss some Bills fans off just as much as the GB fans over Kumerow.:laugh:

Reactions: Der Jaeger

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
By all reports, Davis Webb outplayed Fromm during camp. That said, most every team has a developmental QB on their roster and/or practice squad.

Barkely is one of the better backup QBs in the league right now, so that position isn't being touched. Webb is apparently quite the student of the game (reports are that he REALLY helped out Diggs with the playbook). As long as there's no resentment in the QB room (ie, Webb POed that Fromm made the team) or locker room, I've got no issue with Fromm being on the main squad. Frankly, if he turns out to be another Barkely, I'm pleased.

Barkley is the best backup QB for Buffalo, i don't know about best backups in the NFL. He did have one really nice game in Buffalo but I wouldn't expect much if Allen goes down.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Barkley is the best backup QB for Buffalo, i don't know about best backups in the NFL. He did have one really nice game in Buffalo but I wouldn't expect much if Allen goes down.

There really aren't many backups in the NFL I'd expect "much" out of if the starter goes down. Maybe Foles (who's arguably better than Trubisky anyways). Dalton, Brissett, Winston, Keenum would also probably rate there.

Okay, yeah maybe I overstated Barkley being one of the better backups in the league. He's certainly not talent-wise, for sure. In terms of fit? Yeah, I love his fit here.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
As an aside to that -- looking at the backup QBs around the league, there were a few I were shocked to see that are still in the NFL. Chiefs' Henne, Falcons' Schaub, Giants' McCoy, Texans' McCarron.....and the Eagles just re-signed McCown.......

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
As an aside to that -- looking at the backup QBs around the league, there were a few I were shocked to see that are still in the NFL. Chiefs' Henne, Falcons' Schaub, Giants' McCoy, Texans' McCarron.....and the Eagles just re-signed McCown.......

Henne beat out Matt Moore. He would have been the backup there last year but Henne and Mahomes were injured.

Schaub should not have a backup job. He was shot a few years ago and is a pick 6 ready to happen.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bills GM Brandon Beane: 'Until we win the AFC East, I’m not going to say we’re on track'
Brandon Beane:
On keeping Jake Fromm: “Quarterback is probably the most valuable position in sports. We invested in Jake in the fifth round. He didn’t get any reps in May, June. You come into a condensed preseason. One of the things Jake did well in 11 on 11, he did move the ball when he got some opportunities. He’s a young guy. You don’t want to give up on that position that early. I’d hate to release him without ever seeing him in a game … He still has a lot of work ahead of him. … Nobody’s perfect. Everyone understands Jake made a mistake. He’s contrite. … He’s handled this as well as possible.”

He has a point. He really didn't get much work in with the team. I don't there was any concern about someone claiming Webb. It will be interesting to see if any rookie QB's have an impact this season. Ryan Fitzpatrick has been designated the Dolphins starter. Beane also mentioned that Isiah Hodgkins has a shoulder injury and may need surgery at some point. They put him on IR hoping that with rest he can avoid it. Another Tage Thompson scenario?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
12k a week!

great part-time work if you can get it...

Bills may also feel Fromm could be poached off a PS as a long shot, whereas Webb wouldn’t.

Reactions: Zman5778
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad