Confirmed with Link: Buchnevich to Blues

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If he’d stay healthy and played 3rd line minutes, he could be a 15-20 goal, 35-40 point, 175-200 hit guy.

Seems every time he hits stride he gets hurt.

Has skill, can make plays, good on boards, has good shot, knows how to finish. Potential is there.

I think here he felt he had to be a hit man to make the Blues, despite his good numbers in AHL. The offensive instincts are there . Maybe if he tones down the hitting and Rangers just allow him to play he might stay healthy and hit potential.

Thanks.

Reactions: Bluesguru

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Congrats on getting American Buch.

He's going to become an instant fan fave.

Killed us in this deal. Exposed Isiah Drury.

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Really hoping to see a extension announced soon. I’m hoping we can get a 5 or 6 year deal in the range of 5.5 to 6 per. Seems like a lot, but he took a pretty significant step forward numbers wise the last two years and scored at a 63 point pace.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
In a way, yes. He's certainly nasty and competitive. He just doesn't play offense like that. Most players either fall into cycle offense or rush offense. Buch is extreme rush.

The Rangers had one player on their entire team last year (Kaapernicus Kakko) that fell into cycle offense. That's why we added Goodrow and Blais.

From an outside perspective, it seems like the Blues can cycle enough. I don't have my analytics offhand, but they might be the most cycle-heavy team to win the Cup in this era.

If by sandpaper, you're looking for hustle and a temper, you'll get that.

I like players that play from the whistle through the whistle.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Really hoping to see a extension announced soon. I’m hoping we can get a 5 or 6 year deal in the range of 5.5 to 6 per. Seems like a lot, but he took a pretty significant step forward numbers wise the last two years and scored at a 63 point pace.

I’m thinking it’s going to take 6.5 - 7 mill x 6-7 yrs to sign him.

Reactions: Brian39

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Anybody find it telling that the Rangers asked for Blais and not Sanford? There’s no doubt Army still makes the deal if Sanford was the guy and not Blais.
How do you know that’s who they asked for? For all we know, they asked for Sanford and DA suggested Blais instead.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I liked Sammy more than most, but this is still a great deal for the Blues. If Sammy stays healthy he’ll be a solid, cheap 3rd liner for the Rangers. Buch is obviously a step above that, but he’ll also take up more of the cap. Army utilized our cap flexibility. Love it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You know, if it was Dunn, Blais, and a 2nd, I'd still be very happy, so that makes the ED better.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think he will get Schwartz money, 5.5 range.
On a 1 year deal or with term?

I just don't know what incentive he has to take $5.5M for any amount of years. He would almost certainly get at least that amount on a 1 year arbitration award that walks him straight to UFA next summer. He's coming off a 20 goal and 48 point season where he was 35th in points, 29th in even strength points and 30th in goals. Why sell UFA years for $5.5M when he will be looking at $7M+ AAVs on the open market as a 27 year old UFA if he can be in that ballpark again?

Hyman is reportedly getting either a 7 year deal at $5.5M AAV or an 8 year deal at $5M AAV. He is 29. I don't see what incentive Buch has to lock himself into a similar AAV when he can simply take a nice arbitration award now and hit UFA next summer at 27.

It would be a huge win if we can lock him up at $5.5M, but I don't see why the player would even consider that.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I’d try to go full term and see if you can get some giveback on the AAV. It’s just age 33 at the end of it anyway.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
What is Sammy Blais?
A f***ing WINNER!

gettyimages-Blais.jpg

But seriously, there have been some good writeups earlier in this thread. Here's a brief scouting report I wrote over on the rangers forum - Confirmed with Link: - Buch traded to STL for Blais + 2nd (2022)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
What is Sammy Blais?
Hits everything that moves and has some really sneaky skill. Only major issue is staying healthy. Not incredible defensively, but far from a liability. He’s a good player.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
How do you know that’s who they asked for? For all we know, they asked for Sanford and DA suggested Blais instead.
DA wouldn’t kill that deal for Sanford. That’s crazy. I’m just saying they preferred Blais over Sanford. I’ve always liked Blais, hope he blossoms in NY.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
DA wouldn’t kill that deal for Sanford. That’s crazy. I’m just saying they preferred Blais over Sanford. I’ve always liked Blais, hope he blossoms in NY.
But you don’t know that Sanford was even available. I could just as easily say that they preferred Blais over Thomas. DA may have offered this package and they accepted without discussing any other players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad