Confirmed with Link: Buchnevich to Blues

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're getting two different players. And that's not a bad thing, I like both of them.

With the puck, Buchnevich is the Russian stereotype. Instead of dumping it in or making an obvious, simple pass, he'll try to dangle eight guys, chuck random passes that nobody else sees (including his teammates!), and generally do stupid spinning, through the legs, video game nonsense. It can be very, very frustrating, but he also scores a ton at even strength so it is what it is.

As soon as you guys lose the puck, he'll turn into Guile from Street Fighter [and I will now type the rest of this post with Guile's theme playing, please join me]. He'll backcheck like he's possessed, jump in front of slapshots, and kill a man for looking at him. That's where the meme "American Buch" comes from. And we've never explained that to anyone -- it's yours now.

He'll do the same thing with whistles. Don't expect him to hit much during play. Once the whistle blows, he'll crosscheck somebody right between the eyes and just skate away like he did nothing. He's a cold assassin.

He always looks like he's crying. Don't worry, that's just his face, he's not hurt.

He collects magnets and frequents the zoo.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
You're getting two different players. And that's not a bad thing, I like both of them.

With the puck, Buchnevich is the Russian stereotype. Instead of dumping it in or making an obvious, simple pass, he'll try to dangle eight guys, chuck random passes that nobody else sees (including his teammates!), and generally do stupid spinning, through the legs, video game nonsense. It can be very, very frustrating, but he also scores a ton at even strength so it is what it is.

As soon as you guys lose the puck, he'll turn into Guile from Street Fighter [and I will now type the rest of this post with Guile's theme playing, please join me]. He'll backcheck like he's possessed, jump in front of slapshots, and kill a man for looking at him. That's where the meme "American Buch" comes from. And we've never explained that to anyone -- it's yours now.

He'll do the same thing with whistles. Don't expect him to hit much during play. Once the whistle blows, he'll crosscheck somebody right between the eyes and just skate away like he did nothing. He's a cold assassin.

He always looks like he's crying. Don't worry, that's just his face, he's not hurt.

Even better. The STL Zoo has free entry. At least last time I checked.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Him, Kostin and Barbie will be great together (not on the same line obviously). Kostin and Barbie are relentless Russians too. Play with an edge.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
HORRIBLE TRADE. Way to go Army you $^@&**@ head!

You do realize that we now have to endure season of Federko and Panger butchering this poor kids name. Please only trade for players like Ott, Smith, Drake, etc to save the fans' sense of annunciation.

:sarcasm: :laugh: :laugh:
Best trade after Army acquire ROR. Everybody else falls category 'meh'.

This upgrade our team. Not downgrade.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Has there ever been a player that was as dramatically different between what draft profiles said he would be vs what he actually developed to be as Blais? He was a slight guy that put up huge numbers in the QHL, and then he gradually turned into a wrecking ball. Pretty extraordinary.

And now he helps bring us a player like this. One hell of a 6th round pick.

Last edited:

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Anyone hear numbers on Buchs contract ask yet? I'm not seeing anything and I assume thats why the rangers were willing to let him go.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Still here.

Haters gonna hate, I guess. How many trades has he won compared to how many he has lost? This seems like a pretty sweet deal.

I certainly think Blais can provide more than he currently does and I really like his game overall but this trade is a no brainer from the Blues perspective.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
HORRIBLE TRADE. Way to go Army you $^@&**@ head!

You do realize that we now have to endure season of Federko and Panger butchering this poor kids name. Please only trade for players like Ott, Smith, Drake, etc to save the fans' sense of annunciation.

:sarcasm: :laugh: :laugh:

Best trade after Army acquire ROR. Everybody else falls category 'meh'.

This upgrade our team. Not downgrade.

humor

[ˈ(h)yo͞omər]
NOUN
  1. the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
    "his tales are full of humor"
    synonyms:
    comical aspect · comic side · funny side · comedy · funniness · hilarity · jocularity · absurdity · absurdness · ludicrousness · drollness · facetiousness · satire · irony

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

Sounds like a bit of sandpaper the Blues could use.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sounds like a bit of sandpaper the Blues could use.
In a way, yes. He's certainly nasty and competitive. He just doesn't play offense like that. Most players either fall into cycle offense or rush offense. Buch is extreme rush.

The Rangers had one player on their entire team last year (Kaapernicus Kakko) that fell into cycle offense. That's why we added Goodrow and Blais.

From an outside perspective, it seems like the Blues can cycle enough. I don't have my analytics offhand, but they might be the most cycle-heavy team to win the Cup in this era.

If by sandpaper, you're looking for hustle and a temper, you'll get that.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Has there ever been a player that was as dramatically different between what draft profiles said he would be vs what he actually developed to be as Blais? He was a slight guy that put up huge numbers in the QHL, and then he gradually turned into a wrecking ball. Pretty extraordinary.

And now he helps bring us a player like this. One hell of a 6th round pick.

There are a lot of guys who realize they aren't quite good enough for the NHL unless they bring something else to the table. Definitely happened for Blais and is why he can be kinda dumb about his hits sometimes.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I am one of Blais bigger supporters around here, and even I love this trade. However, let's also wait and see what the contract we need to give Buch looks like. As has been mentioned, NYR traded him for scraps for a reason.

To Rangers fans, thanks for being classy. It is tough to be cordial after taking a bad trade. Coming here to tell us how much we will enjoy Buch rather than turning your anger on us is a class move. Thanks. If you can separate Blais from this trade, he is a good cheaper player that may surprise you. People say he is only physical but he has an underrated shot, vision and play-making skills. I think his offense will blossom when seperated from Berube. Berube constantly says in press conferences, we tell Sammy how to play to be effective. They want him to be an uber physical, cycle down low player. I think that stifled his offensive upside a bit.

Uggh. I hate reading this. I despise that kind of cowardice. That's not an assassin, its a cheap shot artist. Hit someone cleanly during the game. Answer the bell if you have to, but don't be a coward or a sneaky bastard hitting people after the whistle and running away. I DESPISE this kind of player. I will quickly hate Buchnevich if he does this repeatedly.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am one of Blais bigger supporters around here, and even I love this trade. However, let's also wait and see what the contract we need to give Buch looks like. As has been mentioned, NYR traded him for scraps for a reason.

To Rangers fans, thanks for being classy. It is tough to be cordial after taking a bad trade. Coming here to tell us how much we will enjoy Buch rather than turning your anger on us is a class move. Thanks. If you can separate Blais from this trade, he is a good cheaper player that may surprise you. People say he is only physical but he has an underrated shot, vision and play-making skills. I think his offense will blossom when seperated from Berube. Berube constantly says in press conferences, we tell Sammy how to play to be effective. They want him to be an uber physical, cycle down low player. I think that stifled his offensive upside a bit.

Uggh. I hate reading this. I despise that kind of cowardice. That's not an assassin, its a cheap shot artist. Hit someone cleanly during the game. Answer the bell if you have to, but don't be a coward or a sneaky bastard hitting people after the whistle and running away. I DESPISE this kind of player. I will quickly hate Buchnevich if he does this repeatedly.
Well if it makes you feel any better, he did it to Marchand in 2020 and last year he did it to Anthony Mantha after the Caps faked an injury to hide Wilson in the locker room. They both (by proxy) deserved it

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Well if it makes you feel any better, he did it to Marchand in 2020 and last year he did it to Anthony Mantha after the Caps faked an injury to hide Wilson in the locker room. They both (by proxy) deserved it

Nope. Mantha didn't deserve it. He should be potentially injured by a cheap shot because he was traded to a team with a psychopath? To each their own, but I just don't like this type of play. Plenty of fans do.

Reactions: Brian39

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nope. Mantha didn't deserve it. He should be potentially injured by a cheap shot because he was traded to a team with a psychopath? To each their own, but I just don't like this type of play. Plenty of fans do.
I guess it depends on your perspective. We have the Caps in our division so we constantly have to defend ourselves from an escaped macaque with Intermittent Explosive Disorder. It has left me dry of sympathy over the years.

But I will say this about Buchnevich: he gives it to guys who ask him for it. I've never seen him bully anyone.

Reactions: Blueston

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This is a trade that is a win for both teams. Buchnevich will definitely help our offense, and is a young, cost controlled player still.

Meanwhile Blais helps the Rangers get some additional physicality and if he can stay healthy is an effective player. The 2nd round pick helps their retool as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad