Confirmed with Link: Buchnevich to Blues

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Is that really something the Rangers weren’t willing to do? Surprising.
Clearing cap for a big target? Or maybe they just wanted to move him before they were boxed into a corner trying to pay Buch, Chytil, Laf., Kakko etc. in the coming summer(s). Don’t know. Either way, Army took advantage of our cap flexibility and brought in a great player for a very reasonable price.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
This feels like a move that is counter to what the Rangers should've done. Usually you sell off those depth or complimentary players and retool that way to compete, but they gave up a core part of that team. I'm really excited to see how he does in our system and what he can add to that top line. Losing a guy like Blais kinda sucks because it felt like he was close to becoming a consistent 35 ish point guy, but the return is SOO good. I really hope Vova can reconcile with the Blues and be a dominant 1-2 punch with Buch, though I think that ship has sailed. We desperately need to sign Hoffman or another top 6 LW if we want to actually compete.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
4 x $5.8 is a fantastic contract. It sets the player up for a large UFA raise in 4 years when the flat cap has exploded upward and it gives a very nice cap hit for us through a really good player's mid-late 20s. Fantastic middle ground in between a player's "I want to hit UFA ASAP" and the team's "we want you locked up until the very start of your decline."

Blais and a 2nd for 4 years of Buch at $5.8M AAV is a massive win for Army. I like Buch at this contract more than any UFA on the market.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I am a really happy camper right now. The on ice performance speaks for itself, but I love hearing what a goofball Buch is and how he collects magnets (lolwut?).

If we can keep the AAV under $6 mill I'll be over the moon!
Wish we had a little more term, but I am still over the moon right now.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers fan here. How has Buchnevich been in preseason? Hope you guys and gals treat him well. some already hate Blias but some have grown on him. He reminds me of a less skilled Ryan Callahan. I hope he has a breakout year.

Has he scored goals like this in St.Louis????

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Rangers fan here. How has Buchnevich been in preseason? Hope you guys and gals treat him well. some already hate Blias but some have grown on him. He reminds me of a less skilled Ryan Callahan. I hope he has a breakout year.

I haven’t been keeping up with Blais since he left, but he was a fun one to watch develop.

He was a baby-faced smallish boy at the draft, but he was creative, smart, had great hands and a personality.

His mediocre skating held back his development as an offensive threat, but he was able to physically grow into a NHL player. Dude got bigger and carved out a role as a skilled agitator.

He won’t dazzle every night with dipsy doodle goals, but he will chip in 6-8 goals for you. Blais is good at sneaking into a play and sniping a wrister from the slot or something down low and tight.

He will make the occasional boneheaded play and also hit a lot and get injured.

Blais’ shot is awesome, although he should work on firing faster. Last season, he scored 15 points in like 35 games or something like that. I would expect a higher ppg average.

He can play up and down the lineup, but don’t play him in any more than 45-50 games.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I haven’t been keeping up with Blais since he left, but he was a fun one to watch develop.

He was a baby-faced smallish boy at the draft, but he was creative, smart, had great hands and a personality.

His mediocre skating held back his development as an offensive threat, but he was able to physically grow into a NHL player. Dude got bigger and carved out a role as a skilled agitator.

He won’t dazzle every night with dipsy doodle goals, but he will chip in 6-8 goals for you. Blais is good at sneaking into a play and sniping a wrister from the slot or something down low and tight.

He will make the occasional boneheaded play and also hit a lot and get injured.

Blais’ shot is awesome, although he should work on firing faster. Last season, he scored 15 points in like 35 games or something like that. I would expect a higher ppg average.

He can play up and down the lineup, but don’t play him in any more than 45-50 games.

I always thought he can be a 15 goal guy 35-40 point player. I still think he has that potential. Wanted a first back but at least they got an NHL player dealt for Buchnevich. Fans loved or hate him. I liked him and he has an edge to his game. This Rangers fan will miss Buchnevich while I do like Blais, I wish that got someone like Kostin who has had some chemistry with Kravtsov. I do still like the trade if Blais resigns here which I hope they give him a 4 or 5 year deal. I think he is worth the risk. RFA and then one year till UFA I believe.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I always thought he can be a 15 goal guy 35-40 point player. I still think he has that potential. Wanted a first back but at least they got an NHL player dealt for Buchnevich. Fans loved or hate him. I liked him and he has an edge to his game. This Rangers fan will miss Buchnevich while I do like Blais, I wish that got someone like Kostin who has had some chemistry with Kravtsov. I do still like the trade if Blais resigns here which I hope they give him a 4 or 5 year deal. I think he is worth the risk. RFA and then one year till UFA I believe.
Blais always flashed skill. His 2 problems were 1, staying healthy and 2, he doesn’t think offensive game at high level. So he will make play like that and we would think he can be productive 2nd liner but it never materialized. If you expect physical bottom 6 guy who can put up 25-30 points, he is fun player. And it wouldn’t shock me if one year he puts it all together and produces more, but he’s 25 and never done it consistently.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Yes. I think he led our team in preseason goals every year.

He always flashes in preseason and never keeps it up. He’s too inconsistent and will also get injured at least 2-3 times a season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

He’s scored some pretty sweet goals in his career. In junior he tried playing like Patty Kane(soft, perimeter, avoiding contact), and it sorta worked because he has some skill, but after junior he had to change his game a bit to carve out an NHL career, and he definitely did. It’s probably to his detriment because he gets hurt often, but that bull in a China shop mentality is why he’s in the league. Every once in a while you’ll see that junior swag come out and he’ll make a really nice move. If he can stay healthy(which has always been the biggest issue) he can be a 30-40 point player while still piling up hits. He’s a useful player and I’m sad he’s gone, even if I am happy with the return.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I was being über conservative on the goal totals as to not blow out your expectation thermostat.

EDIT: He can put up 12-15 goals if he stays healthy and makes fewer boneheaded plays (which leads to more ice time).

The Rangers are, historically, a tough, hard-hitting team. So it seems that Blais should fit in.

Last edited:

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
Habs fan here. How is Buchnevich doing in camp and what do you expect from him this year?
60 pts?

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Scored a short handed goal from Schenn. Nice one timer.
He could well be on the top PK unit with ROR which could result in a few shorties this year.
Overall, he appears confident with the puck and comfortable with his teammates. 60 points is very realistic if he plays 70 games plus.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How are you guys enjoying Buch so far? Blais has been balling for the Rangers and I am starting to think hat this may be a good move for both teams (Blais really brings something we lacked). Hope you guys love Buch as much as we did.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
How are you guys enjoying Buch so far? Blais has been balling for the Rangers and I am starting to think hat this may be a good move for both teams (Blais really brings something we lacked). Hope you guys love Buch as much as we did.

Buch so far is as advertised, nothing to complain at all.

Hope you guys like Blais. He is unlikely to reach the potential he had 3 years ago (2nd line PF that can create space and occasionally snipe, 15-20 goals); but he will probably end up as a high end 3rd liner that can do a little of everything, if he is coached right.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Buch so far is as advertised, nothing to complain at all.

Hope you guys like Blais. He is unlikely to reach the potential he had 3 years ago (2nd line PF that can create space and occasionally snipe, 15-20 goals); but he will probably end up as a high end 3rd liner that can do a little of everything, if he is coached right.

He may end up getting time with Bread (sort of the old Jesper Fast role). Would like to see him up there now and then.

Glad to see Buch is doing well. He was a real fan favorite. I loved it when he got a bit dirty when needed (see my avatar, for example).

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad