News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Unless PHI GM Holmgren has a trick up his sleeve, losing out on Bernier means Philly will stick with Plan B(ryzgalov) next season, at least.

and

Holmgren in tough spot. Wants new goalie, has limited, viable options (doesn't want to overpay). Told majority of team has issues with Bryz

Is this guy Pagnotta a beat writer? Is he at the SkateZone in Voorhees? Just curious. I do not care for media types who just throw out stuff without any so called source. Maybe his source just landed in Moscow.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I can't see Bryz being back if this is the case. The problem is that we can buy out Bryz, but our leverage would be significantly diminished if we were to try to trade for someone else.

I think Bernier was the only real trade option. I guess you could go for Halak or maybe Hiller in ANA, but that could be pricey and risky. I think if Bryz is gone, they are going to just sign a UFA to a one or two year deal and see how Mason does. May not be pretty but it gives them a good window to experiment in a season that most likely wouldn't end up with the Cup anyway. If Mason shows he can be a starter, sign him long term. If he bungles it, deal with the issue next year. Getting rid of Bryz, even if there is no "replacement" for him makes the entire issue less complicated. Not necessarily better, but less complicated.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Is this guy Pagnotta a beat writer? Is he at the SkateZone in Voorhees? Just curious. I do not care for media types who just throw out stuff without any so called source. Maybe his source just landed in Moscow.

He runs an all-encompassing trade rumors site. I don't know much about his sources. He may just be pulling that from Seravalli to be honest.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He runs an all-encompassing trade rumors site. I don't know much about his sources. He may just be pulling that from Seravalli to be honest.

TFP is usually pretty good with their rumors. They seem to only report things when they have legit sources, not just anyone that says something.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware

Unless PHI GM Holmgren has a trick up his sleeve, losing out on Bernier means Philly will stick with Plan B(ryzgalov) next season, at least.

and

Holmgren in tough spot. Wants new goalie, has limited, viable options (doesn't want to overpay). Told majority of team has issues with Bryz

Holmer would not have had to overpay, IMO.
Bernier was a #1 round pick, not some FA signee.
Toronto gave up trash for Bernier, Frattin, Scrivens and an 2nd. LOL.
Holmer could not come up with something a better than their trash.

Sad. Guess we really did not want to get rid of Bryzgalov at all.
We would prefer to keep Bryz or recycle an average FA instead of solidifying the goalie position.
Typical Holmer move, terrible mistake.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
It's been reported multiple times that nobody likes Bryz in the locker room. From legit sources. This team will not be a cohesive group if they don't handle this problem.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Worst case scenario there's always Thomas and Emery as UFA's.

Why Thomas? Why trade for another old guy who is disliked by his teammates, one who has been removed from the game for a year? It would just add to the circus like atmosphere.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

We would prefer to keep Bryz or recycle an average FA instead of solidifying the goalie position.

Again, what would you have offered for Bernier? Keep in mind it is very likely that Holmgren offered Read+2nd and LA simply liked the Toronto offer more.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why Thomas? Why trade for another old guy who is disliked by his teammates, one who has been removed from the game for a year? It would just add to the circus like atmosphere.

New York is likely to release him so we wouldn't have to trade for him.

He hasn't played year but I highly doubt he just sat on his couch this whole year. He was likely training if a comeback was in mind.

Do you have any links to back up the claim that his teammates didn't like him?

The guy puts his political beliefs out in the open, you don't to agree with them but you have to respect that it's his opinion.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

His teammates got along with him fine. The media just wanted to make the whole white house thing a bigger deal than it ever really was. But that had nothing to do with being disliked or liked by teammates.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Seriously? Trash? Bernier was never going to get anywhere behind Quick. The Kings needed a winger and a backup to replace Bernier, and they got both. They have extra cap space and an extra half million which means they may be able to re-sign Scuderi after all, and a second rounder. Lombardi pieced together almost everything the Kings needed in one deal.

Holmgren has put himself in a very bad spot with Bryz. He needs to trade for a goalie now and hope to God that Mason can play better than he has in recent years. Buying out Bryz is addition by subtraction.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
His teammates got along with him fine. The media just wanted to make the whole white house thing a bigger deal than it ever really was. But that had nothing to do with being disliked or liked by teammates.

Not after the Whitehouse snub. Ownership was pretty pissed and a few of his teammates made comments anonymously about him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tim Thomas has always had a penchant for not being well-liked. The Bruins just didn't care because he got it done on the ice and remained professional, generally. It didn't become a circus when he was the backup to Rask in the 2010 playoffs. The difference.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
At this point, let's just go with six skaters for the whole 60 minutes.

Sometimes last year it felt like that.

I don't think Mason is going to be as bad as people think he will be. I believe when he was traded a renewed excitement took over. ****, how could anyone want to play in CLB and lose as much as he did. The love of the game would have been drained out of most.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Not after the Whitehouse snub. Ownership was pretty pissed and a few of his teammates made comments anonymously about him.

Can you show me these anonymous comments? All I remember hearing from the players was Steven Kampfer supporting Thomas for exercising his right.

Also this:

The GM said that he could have mandated Thomas attend the event, but chose not to. "I can require someone to attend a team event. If they don't, I can suspend him. But I'm not going to suspend Tim. Whatever his position is isn't representative of the Boston Bruins or my own. But I'm not going to suspend him."

Bruins team president Cam Neely said the decision was Thomas' and the team honored his choice.
"Everybody has their own opinions and political beliefs. He chose not to join us," said Neely. "We certainly would have liked to have him come and join us but that's his choice. All the guys came except for Tim. It's his decision and his choice."

They knew in advance that Thomas wouldn't be attending, and they supported his right to make that decision. There were no problems between Thomas and the organization until he decided to take a year off (to my recollection).

Do you have any quotes to the contrary?

spudnick

May 6, 2005
I still like bryzgalov. nobody like his cap hit which is the reason he could still get bought out because the need for another defenseman and a winger for giroux still exists, bernier or not. I do want holmgren to stay patient like he did with bernier and not dangle any of the core out there. If we can't come up with a trade, then i don't mind giving this team a third year to elevate and grow together. Either way goaltending was not last year and will not be this year our problem regardless of what that fat gray haired 12 year old tard says.

Just out of curiosity, what do you like about Bryz? He has a horrible contract, possibly the worst in te league. He has a personality of a wet noodle. When he opens his mouth usually something stupid comes out and he makes himself look like an idiot. He was a horrible teammate in Phoenix and by the sounds of it he is a horrible teammate here who is hated by the majority of the team. To top it all off he is a below average to horrible goaltender who cannot play a puck, is below average in athleticism, ducks at pucks, lets in bak breaking goals more then an average goaltender does.

Is there something I am missing?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Can you show me these anonymous comments? All I remember hearing from the players was Steven Kampfer supporting Thomas for exercising his right.

Also this:

They knew in advance that Thomas wouldn't be attending, and they supported his right to make that decision. There were no problems between Thomas and the organization until he decided to take a year off (to my recollection).

Do you have any quotes to the contrary?

I remember seeing some at the time. I'm not near my laptop now to check. I'm just not sure why anyone would want him here, Bryz or not, why keep the goalie circus going? There have to be some normal goalies around that would be more suitable.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
Plan B should be Ray Emery I hope. f the cost of Bernier was Matt Read+ then I'm glad we didn't budge. Read can be a solid top-6 or top-9 forward for us and it gives us great value on his contract. 900k for a player like that is how you win championships, although not when you have a sieve in net.

I hate to say it but if Bryzgalov is around for another year a lot of Flyers fans will be unhappy, myself included. I am tired of his interviews and the media and the jokes and the controversy. Mason and Emery would be a very nice tandem and would probably cost as much as Bryz does by himself.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Plan B should be Ray Emery I hope. f the cost of Bernier was Matt Read+ then I'm glad we didn't budge. Read can be a solid top-6 or top-9 forward for us and it gives us great value on his contract. 900k for a player like that is how you win championships, although not when you have a sieve in net.

I hate to say it but if Bryzgalov is around for another year a lot of Flyers fans will be unhappy, myself included. I am tired of his interviews and the media and the jokes and the controversy. Mason and Emery would be a very nice tandem and would probably cost as much as Bryz does by himself.

We only have one more year left at that price then he'll be paid what he should be and not as much of a bargain anymore. That's why his names coming up in trades.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I hope Winter is delusional or lying through his teeth.

RT @ToddCordell: Winter on Bryz buyout: “I'm not a fan of speculating on things very, very unlikely to happen." #Flyers
4:23pm - 23 Jun 13

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

His source for the teammates issues is probably this video at 0:38. :laugh:

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I hope Winter is delusional or lying through his teeth.

RT @ToddCordell: Winter on Bryz buyout: “I'm not a fan of speculating on things very, very unlikely to happen." #Flyers
4:23pm - 23 Jun 13

His agent is talking too much.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
We only have one more year left at that price then he'll be paid what he should be and not as much of a bargain anymore. That's why his names coming up in trades.

That's what I mean, if we had a championship caliber team this would be a great year to do it while everybody is still underpaid...

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
It's been reported multiple times that nobody likes Bryz in the locker room. From legit sources. This team will not be a cohesive group if they don't handle this problem.

I would like to hear from these "legit sources" because this past season, I must have ran into Bryz hanging out with giroux, coburn, hartnell, boucher and a few others a bunch of times this season and last at ladder 49 and a few other places and they all seemed to be getting a long great. This wasn't a team event ever. I just take all hear say when it comes to Philly rumors with a grain of salt because they are known to make BS up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad