News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
http://www.flyersnation.net/2013/06/report-flyers-to-buyout-bryzgalov.html
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi130613.html

According to The Fourth Period, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren plans on buying out goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. TFP reported in late May that the Flyers will buyout forward Danny Briere.

TFP reported a source close to the situation said the decision to buyout both players was made once the Flyers' season ended. There has been internal debate about buying out Bryzgalov, but the move will be made shortly after the conclusion of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final. The buyouts will help fit defenseman Mark Streit's new contract under the cap and make additional roster moves

:handclap:

CSN Philadelphia, June 13

The ice on which Ilya Bryzgalov has been standing in goal for the Flyers has developed some cracks.

Despite a solid endorsement from club chairman Ed Snider in late March, followed by a more tepid one in May, the Flyers have begun an internal discussion on whether to add Bryzgalov to the two compliance buyouts this summer, according to sources within the team.

It’s been a fait accompli that Danny Briere, because of his $6.5 million cap hit, would be an automatic buyout because the cap is nose-diving for 2013-14.

Going into the offseason the Flyers seemed opposed to using a buyout on Bryzgalov. Since then, the discussions on him indicate a climate change, though no final decision has been made.

Snider was among Bryzgalov’s biggest fans -- even before he signed -- and has been in his corner since.

“I don't think Bryzgalov has been the problem,” Snider said on March 30. “I mean, he's had to face so many breakaways and 2-on-1s where we turn over the puck suddenly. I think it's the team. I think we're fine in goal.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/sources-flyers-consider-buyout-bryzgalov

Multiple Reports, June 18

Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has informed Ilya Bryzgalov's agent the goaltender will not be bought out after the Stanley Cup Final is concluded, according to multiple reports.

http://thescore.com/nhl/articles/953939-report-bryzgalov-told-he-will-not-be-bought-out

Spoke to Winter. He checked with Holmgren yesterday after reports, who reassured him Bryzgalov will not be bought out after SCF.

https://twitter.com/DNFlyers

Paul Holmgren to CSN, June 18

Paul Holmgren to CSN: "I didn't assure Ritch Winter of anything. When the time comes to do our business we will do whatever is best ...for our hockey team."

https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN

Frank Seravalli, Philadelphia Daily News, June 18

BOSTON - The Flyers already have decided to use one of their upcoming compliance buyouts on Danny Briere, as has been speculated for months.

But they are less certain about using their second buyout on goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, who would be due $23 million over the next 14 years to not play for the team.

Bryzgalov's agent, Ritch Winter, told the Daily News Tuesday night he spoke with Paul Holmgren as recently as Monday to check on the status of his client.

Winter contacted Holmgren based on various reports, especially from TSN in Canada, that Bryzgalov would be bought out. Winter said Holmgren reassured him that Bryzgalov was one of the Flyers' "best players" and that he was "not the problem" and would remain a Flyer next season.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130619_Flyers_mulling_options_at_goaltender.html

Compliance Buyouts Explained, April 2013

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/quick-guide-nhls-compliance-buyouts

Here’s what the new CBA forbids
This is where things get a little tricky (and a little disappointing, to the many Briere fans who have sent e-mails to CSNPhilly.com).

Players who are bought out by a team cannot have their contracts renegotiated by that team. So, as stated above, the Flyers would be prohibited from buying out Briere or any other player whose cap hit might be undesirable and then re-signing him to a lesser contract.

When a team buys out a player’s contract, that player is not permitted to re-join that club for the duration of the season that follows the summer during which he was bought out. That means that a player bought out by the Flyers in 2013 cannot play for the Flyers during the 2013-14 season, and a player bought out by the Flyers in 2014 cannot play for the Flyers for the duration of the 2014-15 season.

Last edited by a moderator:

RJ8812*

why do I think that extra money will be going towards a terrible contract for Clarkson?

SchennSational1022*

Wow, his teammates don't like him? That's news to me :sarcasm:

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I tried to root for him but it got harder to defend him as time went along. He just was flat out horrible and threw his teammates under the bus. I guess Derek Morris was right when he said "We'll see" how bad of a teammate Bryz was. Honestly if he gets bought out to the KHL he goes.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I really don't like the idea of buying out brier. weve been lugging around his cap hit for all this time and now hes finally on the cheap salary end of the deal where he might actually have some value and What?. you don't move a proven playoff performer like that if you expect to make the playoffs

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I was laughing at the comments after the article, saying Homer was worse than Gillis in Van

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I really don't like the idea of buying out brier. weve been lugging around his cap hit for all this time and now hes finally on the cheap salary end of the deal where he might actually have some value and What?. you don't move a proven playoff performer like that if you expect to make the playoffs

Money is irrelevant. His cap hit is too high for what he can accomplish. Can't check any position, wing or C. He's a big reason they MISSED the playoffs. Buy-bye.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Derek Morris doesn't lie.

Unbelievable that they would sign a guy to THAT kind of contract without doing any research. Don't tell me they did, because if Derek Morris and Adrian Aucoin had issues with him as a teammate then how hard could it have been to find out about him. And double shame if THEY DID do the research but signed him anyway. Even as a fan I'm embarrassed. Just end it as soon as humanly possible.

Oh and THANK GOD this didnt come from a Philly media guy.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The league source also indicated that the decision to buy out Bryzgalov's deal isn't fully related to money, as "he's disliked by many" of his teammates.

"They don't want to play for him or with him," the league source said.

LMAO...wonder who the league source is..prolly Mason :laugh:

Anyway, haven't seen the typical denials by management where they feign outrage at the report so maybe it's true. We shall see..

If the rumors about him and Lavi not being on the same page is true as well then yeah one of them has to go although I would have preferred both.

Nice job papa Snider for your meddling and the GM for not doing his homework to see if Bryz was a good fit here from a personality perspective...

Wonder what Bryz's reaction will be....oh wait

maxresdefault.jpg

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

Actual salary means nothing. Cap hit means everything. Thanks Danny, it's been real.

Evergreen

Holmgren remains very interested in Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle, despite the Streit acquisition and expected signing.

The Flyers and Coyotes had discussed a trade for Yandle at last year's NHL Draft, but Phoenix decided to hold on to him. Talks between the two clubs are expected to intensify this month.

Really? Our defense would be stacked, but expensive and heavy on lefties. I would imagine at least one of Coburn or Meszaros would be going the other way (hopefully Meszaros).

Timonen - Schenn
Yandle - Coburn/Meszaros
Grossmann - Streit
Gustafsson?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's better to be rid of that contract. Imagine what Bryz would be like when he's 37, for instance.

Use the money to strengthen other parts of the team while we settle on another Great Experiment to answer the biggest question of our time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Some Islander fans also think the Flyers wont be able to get cap compliant for the season.

It's pretty funny, I understand that Snider and Co probably aren't too thrilled about throwing $23M down the drain but they're not going to give up assets for somebody else to take that burden and possibly worsen the on ice product.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good move. Another season of Bryz would have driven us insane.

$23m is the nominal cost, but because its paid over 14 years the real cost is lower.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
http://www.flyersnation.net/2013/06/report-flyers-to-buyout-bryzgalov.html
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi130613.html

According to The Fourth Period, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren plans on buying out goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. TFP reported in late May that the Flyers will buyout forward Danny Briere.

TFP reported a source close to the situation said the decision to buyout both players was made once the Flyers' season ended. There has been internal debate about buying out Bryzgalov, but the move will be made shortly after the conclusion of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final. The buyouts will help fit defenseman Mark Streit's new contract under the cap and make additional roster moves

:handclap:

Lol. Did anyone read the comments on this? I hope the people are being sarcastic.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Oh well. I will get eaten alive for this opinion, but: I'm happy to see a horrible contract gone. I'm not happy to see the guy gone...

One thing would be fitting for sure - if he miraculously turned his game around and in a year we would be seeing threads like "What would Bryz winning the Vezina mean for the Flyers." This twist would be so absurd it will probably happen

dgaspari

Feb 13, 2008
I guess Comcast-Spectacor can take the hit.

The whole fiasco has been, well, a wasteful fiasco.

to make this fiasco sound worse, holmgren gave up 2 third round picks to phx for the right to sign the goalie. by the way both picks are in the penguins system.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Let's just hope and pray they spend the cap space wisely and not get into another one of these situations. Because there won't be a way out next time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad