News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I would like to hear from these "legit sources" because this past season, I must have ran into Bryz hanging out with giroux, coburn, hartnell, boucher and a few others a bunch of times this season and last at ladder 49 and a few other places and they all seemed to be getting a long great. This wasn't a team event ever. I just take all hear say when it comes to Philly rumors with a grain of salt because they are known to make BS up

Guys like Dreger have said it. There is a reason why Homer is in on the goalie market.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
Guys like Dreger have said it. There is a reason why Homer is in on the goalie market.

I'm not in the locker room and either is Dreger so I can only tell from what I've seen. Granted he is a credible source (for the most part) but it just makes me wonder because I can't see any of the players telling him that they don't like him without fear of being exposed to make a HUGE story. Maybe I'm just too much of a "I need to see proof" to believe it kind of person

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Btw, he's also on the hunt for a goalie because so far Bryz hasn't looked like a player worth that kind of money and the cap is going down as well

Maybe but you have to think with his personality and demeanor he can be a hard guy to deal with. Derek Morris actually warned Flyers fans he was a bad teammate.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Maybe but you have to think with his personality and demeanor he can be a hard guy to deal with. Derek Morris actually warned Flyers fans he was a bad teammate.

Didnt someone of respect on the yotes at the time like Doan or something say something like that also?

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Just out of curiosity, what do you like about Bryz? He has a horrible contract, possibly the worst in te league. He has a personality of a wet noodle. When he opens his mouth usually something stupid comes out and he makes himself look like an idiot. He was a horrible teammate in Phoenix and by the sounds of it he is a horrible teammate here who is hated by the majority of the team. To top it all off he is a below average to horrible goaltender who cannot play a puck, is below average in athleticism, ducks at pucks, lets in bak breaking goals more then an average goaltender does.

Is there something I am missing?

When he was in anaheim and phoenix, he was a big positional goalie, quick on his skates with a good glove hand who believe it or not actually handled the puck better than's he's done here so far (better than guys like lundqvist). He also showed to be a workhorse in phoenix which was part of our criteria. I think a lot has contributed to his weaker games here mostly lack of confidence from the team in front and the pressure from the market and contract. I think everything's magnified here and you just gotta be able to sift through the B.S to figure out what is and isn't his fault. I just feel he's capable of giving us a strong season if he can come in angry and determined to prove himself. considering the youth on the team, the mentality of the coaches and the injuries we've had, i think its crazy that so many fans blame one guy. we might still buy him out tho. so either way. I love the drama and watching everybody flip out on here too. I'm not really worried about things like the locker room. That's when you cross the line into complete assumptions, which is stupid.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
When he was in anaheim and phoenix, he was a big positional goalie, quick on his skates with a good glove hand who believe it or not actually handled the puck better than's he's done here so far (better than guys like lundqvist). He also showed to be a workhorse in phoenix which was part of our criteria. I think a lot has contributed to his weaker games here mostly lack of confidence from the team in front and the pressure from the market and contract. I think everything's magnified here and you just gotta be able to sift through the B.S to figure out what is and isn't his fault. I just feel he's capable of giving us a strong season if he can come in angry and determined to prove himself. considering the youth on the team, the mentality of the coaches and the injuries we've had, i think its crazy that so many fans blame one guy. we might still buy him out tho. so either way. I love the drama and watching everybody flip out on here too. I'm not really worried about things like the locker room. That's when you cross the line into complete assumptions, which is stupid.

I agree with this. I also think our goalie coaching is awful.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Can you show me these anonymous comments? All I remember hearing from the players was Steven Kampfer supporting Thomas for exercising his right.

Also this:

They knew in advance that Thomas wouldn't be attending, and they supported his right to make that decision. There were no problems between Thomas and the organization until he decided to take a year off (to my recollection).

Do you have any quotes to the contrary?
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...omass_white_house_snub_no_surprise_to_bruins/

I just quickly googled the link above. Comments from a source from the Bruins and some comments from the coach. If you read between the lines it's pretty easy to see there was friction. I don't want him here, we already have Bryz putting himself ahead of the team, Thomas is the same, plus he's old and who knows what kind of shape he's in.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It is hard to believe his puck handling would get worse, but he did somehow get much worse at shootouts.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There are many, many other options for goaltender. Guarantee Flyers are looking at them all. Bernier to TOR definitely takes away one of the options, though.

It's a little trickier than that though. They have to buyout Bryz basically within the next week or so. If they don't have anything in place, they may wind up with a Mason/Pile of Crap tandem in net. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that because I think simply getting Bryz out of Philly will have an overall improvement on the team even the goal situation doesn't necessarily get better. I'm not so sure the Flyers feel the same way. I think we may see Bryz for one more year unless something happens between now and the draft.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
We still have till 2014 to use the buyout right?

Yeah if you want to go through another season of the Bryz sideshow.

Need to rebuild the defensive side of ice so we can ice a competent team.

Bryz does not inspire confidence in the defense and conversely,
he does not trust his defenseman.

I am not interested in keeping Bryz just because its easier than fixing the problem.
I think we need to be more focused on building team chemistry
and rebuilding the defense so we can compete night in and night out.
Bad chemistry leads to poor defense, need to change mixture.

I start with replacing Bryz, and then upgrade with one more young PMD.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There are UFA goalies who could put up a .900 save percentage here for a fraction of what Bryz would be paid.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Yeah they are available but that doesn't mean they will sign here. Management also may not be as confident in some of these players. I am all for dumping Bryz and getting whomever they can to backup Mason for this season, but I understand why management may not be so willing.

EDIT: Of those guys, my choice would Thomas Greiss. Not a ton of NHL experience, but solid numbers in his limited action. Get him on a year or two deal around $1 million and you've got yourself a solid backup.

Last edited:

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
I just hope Chicago ends this season tonight. I'm sick of waiting for the off season to start.

When is the first day a player can be amnestied? Does anyone know?

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
I think it makes sense, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. If Flyers were willing to trade a good young player like Read to get a goalie, they are likely to keep trying. If they had made no move to land Bernier, that would have indicated no interest in shipping Bryz out. The fact that they are in the goalie game tells you what they think of Bryz.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
If they believe that netminding is a need and they've tried to address it: They still have all off-season to do so. They've already shown they want to do so. This was strike one.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If they believe that netminding is a need and they've tried to address it: They still have all off-season to do so. They've already shown they want to do so. This was strike one.

Bernier was likely their first choice. Not sure what happens next if they do buyout Bryzgalov. Backstrom will likely not come cheap. Thomas is a risk. not much else I want for a backup goalie other then those 2 on the FA market.
I guess there is Halak but again there is a risk there he could bolt next summer if he doesnt like it here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00