News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

nevermore

Cap space since 2005
Oct 25, 2007
And with the extra player we'd be able to sign with the cap difference between Heeter and Bryz I don't think the difference between them as backup would be enough to ruin/make the season.
I like how people just assume Mason's gonna be the sure-fire starter. The guy played well for 7 games after getting a second chance on a new team, without any pressure on him. Big deal.
I hope the guy does well, but giving his track record and the environment he has to play in, betting on this particular horse is a questionable decision at best.

usurp

CAAAAHTAH
Mar 6, 2011
Bucks Co
Good because that's probably what was asked in return. If we did that trade everyone would be calling for Homers head!

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
I still like bryzgalov. nobody like his cap hit which is the reason he could still get bought out because the need for another defenseman and a winger for giroux still exists, bernier or not. I do want holmgren to stay patient like he did with bernier and not dangle any of the core out there. If we can't come up with a trade, then i don't mind giving this team a third year to elevate and grow together. Either way goaltending was not last year and will not be this year our problem regardless of what that fat gray haired 12 year old tard says.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Either way goaltending was not last year and will not be this year our problem regardless of what that fat gray haired 12 year old tard says.

You're right. It wasn't our issue last year or any of the years before when we were a playoff team.

But when injuries float around in a short length of time when you can't really have injuries, you should be able to rely on the goaltending that you're spending around 1/11th of your cap space on.

If you can't rely on that goaltending in such a situation, then what's the point of spending that much on unreliable goaltending when you can buffer yourself against injuries either by means of depth or by means of elite performances elsewhere.

Basically, we cannot continue to pay Micheal Leighton 5.67m. If we continue this process, we will not be a playoff team without luck.

The Flyers never had to rely on luck before because they had talent, depth, and money. Shoving a chunk of talent, depth, and money at a worthless goaltender is a quick way to take a perennial contender to the league basement.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
I probably would have done Read + Heeter + 2nd.

I know anything can happen in the playoffs but realistically this team isn't a true cup contender next season unless Schenn and Couturier take HUGE steps forward and they seem to be on a longer development curve. Plus even if they did become an upper echelon team again Read is only a nice complementary piece, not an essential core player. Read won't make or break a cup team, but a goalie might. I would have loved to taken a chance on a nearly fully developed, great pedigree goalie like Bernier. Mason looked great in his 7 games last year but come on, this guy was probably the worst goalie in the league at various points over the last couple years. We can't put all our eggs in that basket. Platooning him with Bernier would have been an ideal goalie situation. Two young, high upside goalies on relatively cheap contracts trying to prove themselves.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Read+2nd would have been easy for me to stomach even if it is a bit high in terms of value. Buying out Bryz and having two legitimate, young options in goal would have been well worth losing Read and a pick that may or may not ever amount to anything.

I really think Holmgren offered that deal (Read+2nd), but the deciding factor very well could have been the Leafs deciding to absorb $500k of cap space. That's pretty significant.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Read+2nd would have been easy for me to stomach even if it is a bit high in terms of value. Buying out Bryz and having two legitimate, young options in goal would have been well worth losing Read and a pick that may or may not ever amount to anything.

I really think Holmgren offered that deal (Read+2nd), but the deciding factor very well could have been the Leafs deciding to absorb $500k of cap space. That's pretty significant.

Having a legit NHL backup like Scrivens was probably a big factor as well. Somehow I don't think Lombardi was looking at Bryz and Mason as great options.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
So, at least one more year of Bryz?

I like the guy and think he deserves one more shot. Last year he got hurt right before the playoffs and this year the entire team was a ****show.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Would you guys have been okay with trading Laughton/Read + Heeter + 2nd for Bernier?

I would have been fine with Read + Heeter and 2014 or 2015 2nd for Bernier.
Do not want to see Bryz again with this team, he needs to go.

I see Bernier as the best player in the transaction.
We are up against the cap so might have had to trade Read anyway.
Heeter might be an ok as a backup only.
The second round pick is just additional to make it look like LA got
a decent return for a #1 pick.
Not sold on Mason as being a #1 goalie.

I would have expected Bernier to beat Mason and become our starter.
That cost is not too high for #1 goalie.
And a #1 goalie is the centerpeice for building a top defense.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Good because that's probably what was asked in return. If we did that trade everyone would be calling for Homers head!

The fact that he failed to complete a trade for Bernier is a reason to call for his head.
Every move Homer has made so far this offseason is questionable at best.

Signing another 35+ contract on Streit, and passing on Bernier.
LOL. I can see another Holmgren offseason failure like last year.

Not much chance he will redeem himself, he seems content to hold onto
overvalued assets than fix the mess he created.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
I probably would have done Read + Heeter + 2nd.

I know anything can happen in the playoffs but realistically this team isn't a true cup contender next season unless Schenn and Couturier take HUGE steps forward and they seem to be on a longer development curve. Plus even if they did become an upper echelon team again Read is only a nice complementary piece, not an essential core player. Read won't make or break a cup team, but a goalie might. I would have loved to taken a chance on a nearly fully developed, great pedigree goalie like Bernier. Mason looked great in his 7 games last year but come on, this guy was probably the worst goalie in the league at various points over the last couple years. We can't put all our eggs in that basket. Platooning him with Bernier would have been an ideal goalie situation. Two young, high upside goalies on relatively cheap contracts trying to prove themselves.

I agree Holmer blew this opportunity to upgrade our goalie situation.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The fact that he failed to complete a trade for Bernier is a reason to call for his head.

What would you have given up for Bernier? I would have also given up Read+2nd+Heeter, but it's entirely possible that LA simply valued Frattin more than Read. Not to mention the Leafs agreed to absorb $500k of cap for the Kings.

Not much Holmgren could have done. I really wanted Bernier, too, but this is not exactly one you can fault him for. Unless you would be content giving up one of our more significant pieces. In which case...please proceed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

If he gave up what LA probably wanted from us then odds are you and others would have *****ed to no end. He stayed patient and didn't get himself into a bidding war.

He has his faults, no denying that but with some of you's the guy just can't win no matter what.

Can you name these overvalued assets too? If by that do you mean possibly Read and a 2nd rounder? If so then why does barely anyone on here want to give Read up and why do people constantly lose their **** when we trade 2nd rounders?

I guess Homer isn't the only "over-valuing" these assets. It's seems like the fan base is too going by that logic.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Unless PHI GM Holmgren has a trick up his sleeve, losing out on Bernier means Philly will stick with Plan B(ryzgalov) next season, at least.

and

Holmgren in tough spot. Wants new goalie, has limited, viable options (doesn't want to overpay). Told majority of team has issues with Bryz

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Unless PHI GM Holmgren has a trick up his sleeve, losing out on Bernier means Philly will stick with Plan B(ryzgalov) next season, at least.

and

Holmgren in tough spot. Wants new goalie, has limited, viable options (doesn't want to overpay). Told majority of team has issues with Bryz

I can't see Bryz being back if this is the case. The problem is that we can buy out Bryz, but our leverage would be significantly diminished if we were to try to trade for someone else.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I can't see Bryz being back if this is the case. The problem is that we can buy out Bryz, but our leverage would be significantly diminished if we were to try to trade for someone else.

This is the 3rd reporter who has said this. He has to go.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly

and

Sounds like what happened before he left Phx. A few Coyotes were very outspoken about how bad a teammate he was after he signed that deal with us. When this many people say something similar to each other, there has to be some measure of truth to it.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

and

Was just going to post that, and that's a national reporter. I'm not sure how any fan, let alone management, can bring this goofball back into the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00