News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

supa scoop

Oct 13, 2008
Bridgeton, NJ
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/27694626/33354625

Here's some Morris and Aucoin comments.

---

I too find it strange that Eklund says we're now more likely to buyout Bryzgalov after missing out on one of our other options. Even using statistics, it would now seem more likely that Bryz stays...

"Notice how everything said here is taken out of context. So, before you Flyers fans want to lynch the Coyotes, read very carefully between the lines. Sounds to me like a little creative writing, and should be taken from the point of view of a desperate writer."

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
Regardless if they continue to pursue a goalie or not, the fact that they went after Bernier is evidence that Homer's recent statement that Bryz "isn't the problem" is a bunch of hooey.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Its not really practical to have a deadline right after the final to use the buyouts. It should be before lineups are finalized before the season. They give them to you with all these ridiculous terms. Let us figure out if we can replace these people before we blindly buy them out. I'm talking about bryzgalov but that would go for anybody.

funghoul

Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Regardless if they continue to pursue a goalie or not, the fact that they went after Bernier is evidence that Homer's recent statement that Bryz "isn't the problem" is a bunch of hooey.

I don't think he does think bryz is the problem but everybody and their grand mom knows that contract sucks and aint lasting the term. He has to replace him by next year and this was when bernier was being dangled out there.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Its not really practical to have a deadline right after the final to use the buyouts. It should be before lineups are finalized before the season. They give them to you with all these ridiculous terms. Let us figure out if we can replace these people before we blindly buy them out. I'm talking about bryzgalov but that would go for anybody.

I think the reason they do it is so that teams and players can go into July 1 with a plan. The owners and players most likely want it that way. Think about it...let's say the Flyers want Brad Richards. If the Rangers have until camp to buy him out, that is going to screw up the Flyers and any other team interested. Likewise, the Rangers may not be able to get their replacement for Richards if he is still on the roster. Not to mention the fact that it would likely drive down the market for the player because by the time lineups are set...well...lineups are set.

funghoul

Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
I think the reason they do it is so that teams and players can go into July 1 with a plan. The owners and players most likely want it that way. Think about it...let's say the Flyers want Brad Richards. If the Rangers have until camp to buy him out, that is going to screw up the Flyers and any other team interested. Likewise, the Rangers may not be able to get their replacement for Richards if he is still on the roster. Not to mention the fact that it would likely drive down the market for the player because by the time lineups are set...well...lineups are set.

are you saying were getting brad richards? I'm kidding. i got you tho. It would just be nice to have a few more days to dick around and see what we can maneuver because for a lot of teams including us there is plan A B C....and it takes time to work your way through all that. I know waiting til the start of training camp would be ridiculous for everyone involved but just a couple more weeks would be nice.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
are you saying were getting brad richards? I'm kidding. i got you tho. It would just be nice to have a few more days to dick around and see what we can maneuver because for a lot of teams including us there is plan A B C....and it takes time to work your way through all that. I know waiting til the start of training camp would be ridiculous for everyone involved but just a couple more weeks would be nice.

I think next year the window will be bigger. The reason it is so tight this year is because the Finals are pushed back because of the lockout. Not that that helps us out this year, but it will be different next year.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
Emery, Luongo, Elliott, Halak, Hiller, Miller, Smith and a bunch of other goalies I'd rather not have are what it's come down to, in my opinion. Emery is my no.1 option.

Of course, Bryzgalov is another very viable option for another year. Go with Bryzgalov and Mason for another year and see if Mason can steal the starting role. Bryz would then be bought out next offseason I would HOPE and Mason would earn another contract and then we could get a decent backup from the 2014 UFA class... or if Mason flops we go hard after Halak, Hiller, Miller or somebody similar in terms of ability to be a #1 goaltender.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Emery, Luongo, Elliott, Halak, Hiller, Miller, Smith and a bunch of other goalies I'd rather not have are what it's come down to, in my opinion. Emery is my no.1 option.

Of course, Bryzgalov is another very viable option for another year. Go with Bryzgalov and Mason for another year and see if Mason can steal the starting role. Bryz would then be bought out next offseason I would HOPE and Mason would earn another contract and then we could get a decent backup from the 2014 UFA class... or if Mason flops we go hard after Halak, Hiller, Miller or somebody similar in terms of ability to be a #1 goaltender.

I really think that keeping Bryz here simply complicates things. In all honesty, and this is highly unlikely, but what do you do if Bryz goes back to his Vezina caliber form? I still think he would be untradeable because of the contract like Luongo, but do you buy him out at that point or ride out his contract? I know it is unlikely so spare me with the "it will never happen he sucks" response, but what do you do in that situation? That is something you have to plan for.

spudnick

May 6, 2005
It's a little trickier than that though. They have to buyout Bryz basically within the next week or so. If they don't have anything in place, they may wind up with a Mason/Pile of Crap tandem in net. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that because I think simply getting Bryz out of Philly will have an overall improvement on the team even the goal situation doesn't necessarily get better. I'm not so sure the Flyers feel the same way. I think we may see Bryz for one more year unless something happens between now and the draft.

That's exactly what we have now

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think it makes sense, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. If Flyers were willing to trade a good young player like Read to get a goalie, they are likely to keep trying. If they had made no move to land Bernier, that would have indicated no interest in shipping Bryz out. The fact that they are in the goalie game tells you what they think of Bryz.

I think if they're really serious about getting another goalie they'll have to offer up more than Read. The UFA thing is going to keep a lot of teams out of the running if they are close to the cap. Plus, teams that have a goalie are probably chomping at the bit to take advantage of the situation in Philly. I think Bernier was their best chance but it sounds like the return the Leafs gave, especially the extra cap space, was the deal breaker.

spudnick

May 6, 2005
I really think that keeping Bryz here simply complicates things. In all honesty, and this is highly unlikely, but what do you do if Bryz goes back to his Vezina caliber form? I still think he would be untradeable because of the contract like Luongo, but do you buy him out at that point or ride out his contract? I know it is unlikely so spare me with the "it will never happen he sucks" response, but what do you do in that situation? That is something you have to plan for.

On the other side, what if Bryz get injured and can't be bought out? I think he just the type of guy to fake an injury just to say FU to the Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think he does think bryz is the problem but everybody and their grand mom knows that contract sucks and aint lasting the term. He has to replace him by next year and this was when bernier was being dangled out there.

It would also save Snider and Comcast's shareholders some coin if they could find a viable option and buy out Bryz this summer. I don't think Snider really cares about the money but the shareholders probably do.

funghoul

Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs

I still think because he aint getting any younger and with all the high end players needing contracts in the next couple years he's gone either way. It will really just come down to money. and IF, and that's a one helluva an IF he won a vezina and a cup next year, and is a wall none of us will care if we keep him unless your just (not you personally) a doosh because you hate his personality which is Pejorative Slured. I'm personally rooting for this to happen but I'm also a quarter Pejorative Slured and slightly stunad.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
"No NHL team will take a flier on a mediocre, expensive goaltender with a big mouth and a bad reputation." - Frank Seravelli on Ilya Bryzgalov

Bryzgalov's agent Ritch Winter said he's not a fan of Seravelli & his work and wants him to know that.

Last edited:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
"No NHL team will take a flier on a mediocre, expensive goaltender with a big mouth and a bad reputation." - Frank Seravelli on Ilya Bryzgalov

Bryzgalov's agent Ritch Winter said he's not a fan of Seravelli & his work and wants him to know that.

I hope Bryz rocks Seravelli as a parting gift when he gets bought-out. He would totally redeem himself for his horrible goaltending in my eyes.

LOL, that would be awesome. Seravelli is a d-bag, got called out on something and noes he's taking shots at Beyz ever time he gets an opportunity.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
LOL, that would be awesome. Seravelli is a d-bag, got called out on something and noes he's taking shots at Beyz ever time he gets an opportunity.

He's a clown in a long line of clowns in the media here. He just sounds obsessed now.

I can't believe anyone actually believes the bs that guy spews. I remember two years ago he started that Stamkos rumor and kept hyping it up and then still tried keeping it going even after Stamkos resigned with Tampa Bay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad