• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
White Sox? With what pitching? This is a team that trots out Shields and Giolito every 5 days. Lopez I'm high on. Rodon has been out of sorts and is walking too many. Carson Fulmer is wild. Kopech will miss the season.
It looks like they’re going to aggressively try to add quality pitchers

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It looks like they’re going to aggressively try to add quality pitchers

They better. They are 2-3 year away from making some noise.

As for Indians they may trade 1 of Kluber/Carrasco. Doubt they move both. For as long as they have Lindor and Ramirez they'll rule that division.

Reactions: Voight

Say Hey Kid

We retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
He's been top 10 in MVP once in 7 years. Pujols and Trout combined have 13/14 in top 10 MVP voting their first 7 years. He has a .279 BA. He's injury prone. He's the 20th best everyday player over the last seven seasons combined. I'd rather have the next 10 years of Betts.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeCubs

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Rosenthal wrote some article for The Athletic and mentioned that Cards may be not all that interested. Might come down to Phils vs. Nats.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I don't think they would have beaten Boston anyway.

From that article (I have an Athletic sub):

For Harper, the Nationals would have obtained right-hander J.B. Bukauskas, the Astros’ No. 8 prospect according to MLBPipeline.com, and two other minor leaguers, sources said. Catcher Garrett Stubbs, the team’s No. 15 prospect, was in play, and the Nationals would have received another, low-level, minor-league pitcher as well.

And more from that article..Puig for Harper was Dodgers offer in August. Nats turned it down.

Also Houston had a trade in place to land Avisail Garcia for Francis Martes but they killed the deal over concerns about Garcia's knee.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Phillies just seems weird. It feels like Harper wants to take his brand to another level, and Philly isn't the place to do that. Yanks, Cubs, BoSox, Dodgers, even Giants or Cardinals would be more high profile destinations.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Phillies just seems weird. It feels like Harper wants to take his brand to another level, and Philly isn't the place to do that. Yanks, Cubs, BoSox, Dodgers, even Giants or Cardinals would be more high profile destinations.
Phillies can offer arguably the best combination of a boat load of money (they aren't paying anyone else ATM) and a chance to win (they should be a perennial playoff team with Harper + growth from young players + more acquisitions).

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I dont think Harper is good enough to elevate the Phillies definitively over the Braves in that division over the next few years.

And thats no dig on him, its just that one bat rarely if ever can do that.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Much like last season, it's certainly possible we might see this drag through winter. Reading through a lot of the rumors/tweets, it seems pitching is tops for most teams. I'm not sure how quick teams will want to pull the $400 million trigger before getting their pitching straight.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Phillies can offer arguably the best combination of a boat load of money (they aren't paying anyone else ATM) and a chance to win (they should be a perennial playoff team with Harper + growth from young players + more acquisitions).

There is something special about playing for the Yanks/Dodgers/Cards/BoSox tho, something different then playing for any of the other 26 teams.

Harper in NY or LA would be an endorsement jackpot for him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
would suck if Harper wasted the rest of his career in Philly.

If its them vs Nats, I hope he stays on as a one-club man.
He hasnt wasted his career with Nationals already? If Harper would sign tomorrow with the Phillies he would have won as many playoff series with them as the Nationals. He wouldnt wasting anything in Philadelphia as compared to DC.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He hasnt wasted his career with Nationals already? If Harper would sign tomorrow with the Phillies he would have won as many playoff series with them as the Nationals. He wouldnt wasting anything in Philadelphia as compared to DC.

Not saying he hasn't but why continue wasting time when you can sign with a team thats already a contender? Say he signs with Philly and the team does nothing the next 5 years... hes going to get all the blame and get killed by the media/fans.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
Harper probably ring chases like Durant and joins a stacked team like the Cubs or Dodgers.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I went with Other. I don't think Harper is going to end up with the Yankees or the Phillies (I really think both are pushing hard for Machad0). I was thinking the Mets because of the new ball park, David Wright retiring and needing a name to draw crowds, but Boras won't want him to sign there due to the Mets new GM being a former agent. I also don't think he'll end up Chicago with the Cubs because Chicago has some pretty heavy contracts on the roster already and the last thing Epstein does is restrict himself financially.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Harper ends up going to a team like the Atlanta Braves. That allows the Braves to move a guy like Nick Markakis for some prospects to help stock the pipeline, Harper fits in the outfield with Acuna and Inciarte, and more important, Harper is a draw and more people come out to the games. It's a fit all around.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad