• CHC

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
You can pad stats but his average was horrible and his strikeout ratio was also bad. The league has horrible hitting collectively. Everyone is swinging for the fences or missing. Do I think average is everything? No, but other guys can hit those numbers with less baggage attached to them.

Harper has definitely popped off in his career and has caused problems. Both really have, it's just nobody saw Machado until the playoffs becausw outside of like one year the orioles were trash.

HiTTinG iS bAd bEcAUSE oF LoW Ba :sarcasm:

Sep 19, 2008
Mark Lerner openly admitted on 1067 that Bryce Harper is probably playing elsewhere next year other than DC

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Financially, you also have to consider that Harper sells tickets. He's one of the few household names in the league.

Maybe Corbin will get more WARP than Harper the next couple of years, but Harper has a not insignificant box office impact especially since he plays every day. I think not re-signing Harper without getting a big name big impact bat to replace him will definitely harm the Nats' ability to sell tickets. I'd say that a rebuild might be inevitable, but clearly the team doesn't see it that way given their investment in Corbin.

Oct 18, 2011
Any team that buys into the crap coming from Boras deserves what happens. Harper is one of the most overrated players of all time. The Nationals are going to be better off reallocating the money they would have paid him

Reactions: MikeCubs

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Any team that buys into the crap coming from Boras deserves what happens. Harper is one of the most overrated players of all time. The Nationals are going to be better off reallocating the money they would have paid him
He had that one really good year though. Rendon has been far more valuable the past 2 years so it’s hard to buy into the Harper mega contract hype when he hasn’t even been a top 2 player on a non playoff/first round exit team. Scherzer has been better as well.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
For me, as a fan, I'm always about the term. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the cash.

10 years is too long to give any player. Harper, Machado, Pujols, whoever.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
For me, as a fan, I'm always about the term. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the cash.

10 years is too long to give any player. Harper, Machado, Pujols, whoever.

You gotta consider age though. Pujols was 32 in his first year of that deal. Harper will be 26, Machado 27.

Harper and Machado should live up to the deal for at least the first 5-6 years given their age and regression age curves.

Reactions: CPTN71

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
You gotta consider age though. Pujols was 32 in his first year of that deal. Harper will be 26, Machado 27.

Harper and Machado should live up to the deal for at least the first 5-6 years given their age and regression age curves.

I hear ya. I just mean purely from a fan's standpoint. Watching the player regress for 4-5 years can be really painful.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think Nationals walking away with Corbin for less then half the dollars Harper will get is a blessing for them. Harper will be great for a few years but ten year deals are stupid and he's not even as good as he thinks. His average isn't what it should be considering what his salary will be.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I think Nationals walking away with Corbin for less then half the dollars Harper will get is a blessing for them. Harper will be great for a few years but ten year deals are stupid and he's not even as good as he thinks. His average isn't what it should be considering what his salary will be.
Agreed. In the last 7 seasons Rizzo is 19th in WAR with 29.2. Harper is 27.4, he's only been top 11 in MVP voting once, and $300 million+ for a guy who hits .279!?! I don't think so. Harold Baines hit .289.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad