• CHC

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They may regret it, but using batting average and RBI is a poor argument.

Ok, even using the fancy new age stats he's an above average player at best.

Defensively he has 4 negative WAR years to only 2 positive.

Last 3 seasons are -0.9, 0.0, -3.2

Overall WAR the last 5 years are 1.1, 10.0, 1.5, 4.7, 1.2

No player in a long time has gotten so overhyped and mileage out of a 1 great year anomaly.

The numbers being thrown around for his potential deal would be like giving Rick Porcello 30 mill a year and calling him an elite ace because of his 1 surprise Cy Young season.

And fyi, those "obsolete" stats you say aren't of value anymore are still matter. Despite what the stats nerds want to believe

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

No player in a long time has gotten so overhyped and mileage out of a 1 great year anomaly.

The numbers being thrown around for his potential deal would be like giving Rick Porcello 30 mill a year and calling him an elite ace because of his 1 surprise Cy Young season.

And fyi, those "obsolete" stats you say aren't of value anymore are still matter. Despite what the stats nerds want to believe

His 2015 season was one of the greatest in modern history. And "Above average" is a massive understatement.

Reactions: Voight

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sure, so then we can talk about how he's had a WAR above 4.3 exactly once.

Or about how 17 active players have a higher WAR since 2012.

He's a very good player, but he's the most overrated player in baseball, and I wouldn't touch his contract with a 50-foot pole.

And how many of those players were in their prime?

The thing to keep in mind is that Harper is still only 25 years old (soon to be 26)

Joshn Donaldson, for example, didn't become a full-time player until he was 26

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I know the homer is strong with me, but keep in mind that the Braves will have north of 60 mil to spend this offseason. Acuna, Ender, Harper as the outfield? Yes, please.

Sep 19, 2008
Despite rampant speculation on reddit that he is gone there seems to be a faction that still wants to believe that he will stay especially with his final comments ending the year

I would be surprised if he stayed though and the team could split that supposed contract money throughout the organization.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

His bWARP the past 5 years has been 1.9, 11.2, 4.8, 4.4, and 4.2. By Fangraphs, it's 1.6, 9.3, 3.0, 4.8, and 3.5.

He's so terrible, guys.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Would the Yankees even be interested since they already have Judge and Stanton?

All I know is if they sign Harper, they’d basically be the Golden State Warriors of baseball. :eyeroll:

If you have the option to add a player like him for basically free, you do it. Can always DH one of the 3.

Oh, I think he's really overrated too, and I wouldn't give him a $35M per year contract (what I think it will take) either. But like I said, using batting average and RBI is a poor argument.

I think hes going to get closer to 400 million/10 years.

My picks in order - NYY, WSH, LAD

Oct 18, 2011
After his 10 WAR season his last 3 combined a 7.5

Whoever pays him is handing out a Pujols level mistake. Hes just not as good as people think

If he gets 400 Trout should ask for a billion

Reactions: MikeCubs

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
His bWARP the past 5 years has been 1.9, 11.2, 4.8, 4.4, and 4.2. By Fangraphs, it's 1.6, 9.3, 3.0, 4.8, and 3.5.

He's so terrible, guys.

No one is saying he's terrible, they are saying he's overrated, which he is. He's a really good offensive player who gets on base a ton. He's bad defensively, and wildely inconsistent year to year.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Pujols was also a MUCH MUCH better player.

Well, not even Mike Trout is a better hitter than prime Pujols. But again, Pujols was already declining in his last year in St. Louis. Bryce Harper will get a huge contract due to his age, like Jason Heyward. The only difference is Heyward was never as good as Harper so it's a better risk to take with Harper.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Harper is perhaps about as good a baseball player as Tavares is a hockey player, perhaps better, and we saw how that free agency went. Its basically unheard of for guys of that quality to hit free agency that young. This situation is totally different than the Pujols one as everyone knew youd be paying Pujols for the decline part of his career even if youd got a couple good years out of him still.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If I’m Atlanta I pass on Harper. Already have Inciarte and Acuna in the OF. No need to blow the bank on him. Can pick up a good corner OF for much less. They should go after Manny and Philly is the team that should be in on Harper.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If I’m Atlanta I pass on Harper. Already have Inciarte and Acuna in the OF. No need to blow the bank on him. Can pick up a good corner OF for much less. They should go after Manny and Philly is the team that should be in on Harper.

If Manny keeps saying that he’s only playing shortstop, I’d pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad