Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I see that as the smartest move but his cap hit is 2.75 and that is what matters. Package him with a pic and prospect to get what we can get.

The hit really only matters to a team that's tight against the cap. As of right now the following teams show as having no enough cap room for McQuaid

Detroit
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Washington
Minesota
Florida
Los Angeles
Tampa Bay

Don't see any of them as being teams that would be interested in a guy like McQuaid anyway.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The one guy I’m most interested in is panarin. Not sure what my trade proposal would be, but I would offer up a solid amount to get panarin in here for a top 6 role. Roughly something like this and contingent on panarin signing a long term deal.

To CBJ:

Krug
Bjork
1st

To Boston:
Panarin
Harrington

Put panarin on Krejci win and have Harrington be the 4th LHD behind Getz

Marchand-Bergy-pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-panarin
Heinen-(jfk/stud/frederic)-backes
Kuraly-Wagner-acciari
Nordstrom-bjork(bjork starts in AHL but call up for injury)

Chara-McAvoy
Moore-Carlo
Gryz-Miller
Harrington-McQuaid

Rask
Halak

MCAvoy gets PP1 and gryz gets PP2. That top 6 would be absolute fire.

I’m with you on Panarin... but don’t see how Krug is the piece for a team with a D group like Columbus. I’ll assume that one of the Bjork’s you have listed is really Donato, but it doesn’t matter. I don’t see how a deal for Panarin doesn’t include Jake DeBrusk. And to afford Panarin, I don’t see how you don’t also move Krug for futures.

Does DeBrusk + Krug out and Panarin in with a bunch of futures going in all directions make you better now? Later? I think it makes you much better now. Panarin is on a level of Marchand or Pastrnak and would give the Bruins TWO higher end first lines. The pile of futures passing around makes guessing the future difficult. You are also betting hard on Vaak and Zboril. And to resign Panarin you get put in a situation where someone can really put the screws to you in your efforts to move Backes to clear more cap space. Lots to work out there.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I’m with you on Panarin... but don’t see how Krug is the piece for a team with a D group like Columbus. I’ll assume that one of the Bjork’s you have listed is really Donato, but it doesn’t matter. I don’t see how a deal for Panarin doesn’t include Jake DeBrusk. And to afford Panarin, I don’t see how you don’t also move Krug for futures.

Does DeBrusk + Krug out and Panarin in with a bunch of futures going in all directions make you better now? Later? I think it makes you much better now. Panarin is on a level of Marchand or Pastrnak and would give the Bruins TWO higher end first lines. The pile of futures passing around makes guessing the future difficult. You are also betting hard on Vaak and Zboril. And to resign Panarin you get put in a situation where someone can really put the screws to you in your efforts to move Backes to clear more cap space. Lots to work out there.
How much would you sign Panarin for after getting him?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

My bad meant for bruins to keep donato and trade bjork. Donato comes in Incase of injury or can take backes spot and put backes on the 4th line for acciari.

I’ll edit it right now

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

5yrs/40mil.

Then I would move backes/McQuaid in the off-season to clear up money to sign our impending FA and let donato/Heinen be the 3rd line wingers.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
5yrs/40mil.

Then I would move backes/McQuaid in the off-season to clear up money to sign our impending FA and let donato/Heinen be the 3rd line wingers.
I think he’s going to want/get more years and more money per. The only team I think he would consider taking less for is Chicago.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think he’s going to want/get more years and more money per. The only team I think he would consider taking less for is Chicago.

As long as we can get backes off the books I would feel comfortable even giving him $9m a year. 26 year old who has 233 points in 243 games and is solid in all 3 zones. Sign me up.

Reactions: bbfan419

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

That’s the 10 million dollar question, isn’t it? He will be 28 a month into the deal. So on a 8 year deal, half of it is likely “post prime”. Panarin has done a good job avoiding getting his brain scrambled, and I think he is plenty skilled enough to survive losing a step, but the guy you get at the end of the deal won’t be he guy at the beginning. I’d certainly think you would want to front load the deal and have a limited NTC and a lot of 7/1 bonuses for the 2nd half of the deal so he is movable if needed. AAV? Compatibles are not perfect, but we are talking about the top end. I want to say 8x8, but I bet it’s 9 and if I am his agent, I am asking for Patrick Kane money. Certainly highest paid player on the team. Pasta is a lot of RFA years, but how would Marchand feel about that?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That’s the 10 million dollar question, isn’t it? He will be 28 a month into the deal. So on a 8 year deal, half of it is likely “post prime”. Panarin has done a good job avoiding getting his brain scrambled, and I think he is plenty skilled enough to survive losing a step, but the guy you get at the end of the deal won’t be he guy at the beginning. I’d certainly think you would want to front load the deal and have a limited NTC and a lot of 7/1 bonuses for the 2nd half of the deal so he is movable if needed. AAV? Compatibles are not perfect, but we are talking about the top end. I want to say 8x8, but I bet it’s 9 and if I am his agent, I am asking for Patrick Kane money. Certainly highest paid player on the team. Pasta is a lot of RFA years, but how would Marchand feel about that?

Who cares what Marchand thinks of it, bruins tried signing Tavares to a 7 year contract and would have been paid 4 million more than Marchand. Would be no different than with panarin.Marchand signed his deal and could have been paid more. He knows this but he chose to take a home town discount to win.

If I’m Marchand and I took a hometown discount, I would be more upset the team isn’t using the money they saved on me to upgrade in other spots to win than I would be upset that other players are making more than me.

Marchand not dumb, he knew his market. He sacrificed money to win and because he loves being in Boston.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Even if you have to offer panarin 8years/72mil, for $9mil a season, I would pull the trigger. That brings him through his age 35 season and he will most likely be very productive through his age 33 season and probably tail off his last 2 years, but that’s 7 years from now considering he still has this year to play.

7 years from now the cap will be much higher than it is now and $9mil a year, 7 years from now will probably be comparable to $7mil a year in today’s hockey.

Reactions: bbfan419

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Schenider lost his starting job to Keith Kinkaid at times last year and into the playoffs.

Meanwhile Tuukka Rask went almost 2 months without a regulation lose.

Would feel a lot like when Boston traded Moog for Casey. Change for the sake of change, meanwhile the Bruins actually downgrade in goal. Rask > Schneider.

And you can't trade buy-out commitments once the buy-out has occured they way your suggesting they do it with Smith-Pelley's buyout.

Didn’t know about the buyout ineligiblity, thanks. Was thinking like a Savard idea, but I guess they’ve made the minutiae of dead money different. Not surprising. I guess Savard could have come back...but everyone knew that contract was just dead money. Guess I’d just retain half on McQuaid, that’s still do-able right? Haha.

I’m not basing the Rask->Schneider move on the recent past, I’m basing it on long term. Do you think Schneider is done or primed for a return to form? I’m thinking the latter. As for Rask, the Bruins goals are the highest goals, and while Rask puts up sparkling numbers, his hole in the armor is his mental fortitude. I don’t need to go into that as we’re all super Bruins fans and have witnessed the melt downs for years. I’m not sure Rask is capable of holding it together for 16 playoff wins.

Saying there’s no need for this move is possibly making the difference between a championship and falling short.

While Schneider is a very good goalie, he’s clearly one step below Rask in terms of talent, in my belief. But talent was and is never the question with Rask, he’s one of the most talented goalies in the league...it’s that when a huge series comes along, you don’t know if he’ll show up or faceplant.

Yes, it is worth noting that I factored in the cap savings shedding McQuaid and going Rask-Schneider. Cap savings is definite value we’d be receiving in return.

But it was just for the sake of summer fun. Fantasy land stuff. I don’t imagine DS is this ambitious.

The McQuaid for a pick or prospect proposal is probably more attuned to reality.

But that doesn’t fit in too well with this thread full of wheeling and dealing out young and arriving talent. Ha ha

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Didn’t know about the buyout ineligiblity, thanks. Was thinking like a Savard idea, but I guess they’ve made the minutiae of dead money different. Not surprising. I guess Savard could have come back...but everyone knew that contract was just dead money. Guess I’d just retain half on McQuaid, that’s still do-able right? Haha.

I’m not basing the Rask->Schneider move on the recent past, I’m basing it on long term. Do you think Schneider is done or primed for a return to form? I’m thinking the latter. As for Rask, the Bruins goals are the highest goals, and while Rask puts up sparkling numbers, his hole in the armor is his mental fortitude. I don’t need to go into that as we’re all super Bruins fans and have witnessed the melt downs for years. I’m not sure Rask is capable of holding it together for 16 playoff wins.

Saying there’s no need for this move is possibly making the difference between a championship and falling short.

While Schneider is a very good goalie, he’s clearly one step below Rask in terms of talent, in my belief. But talent was and is never the question with Rask, he’s one of the most talented goalies in the league...it’s that when a huge series comes along, you don’t know if he’ll show up or faceplant.

Yes, it is worth noting that I factored in the cap savings shedding McQuaid and going Rask-Schneider. Cap savings is definite value we’d be receiving in return.

But it was just for the sake of summer fun. Fantasy land stuff. I don’t imagine DS is this ambitious.

The McQuaid for a pick or prospect proposal is probably more attuned to reality.

But that doesn’t fit in too well with this thread full of wheeling and dealing out young and arriving talent. Ha ha

Yeah the team actually has to have the player to move. Once a buy-out is done, it's on the books until its expired.

Long-term I don't see the benefit of Schneider over Rask. He signed for one-more season, and with little in the short-term in the pipeline (Swayman looks good but is still likely several years away, he may still be in the NCAA by the time Rask's contract is done),And Schneider is one year older.

With the lowest potential cap hit in the league with 21 players signed, if you wanted to move McQuaid for cap savings, you'd likely have no issue doing so for a draft pick to NJ, or many teams for that matter.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Even if you have to offer panarin 8years/72mil, for $9mil a season, I would pull the trigger. That brings him through his age 35 season and he will most likely be very productive through his age 33 season and probably tail off his last 2 years, but that’s 7 years from now considering he still has this year to play.

7 years from now the cap will be much higher than it is now and $9mil a year, 7 years from now will probably be comparable to $7mil a year in today’s hockey.

I honestly don't know how the cap works out for Panarin. Say you sign him for 8x9. You have McAvoy, Carlo, Donato and Heinen up for new deals, too.

For the dollars to work, you have to let Chara walk. Fine. You have to move Krug for futures. OK. And you have to find a taker for Backes when other teams know you are desperate to clear cap. Its just a lot of moving parts.

Reactions: Strafer

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I honestly don't know how the cap works out for Panarin. Say you sign him for 8x9. You have McAvoy, Carlo, Donato and Heinen up for new deals, too.

For the dollars to work, you have to let Chara walk. Fine. You have to move Krug for futures. OK. And you have to find a taker for Backes when other teams know you are desperate to clear cap. Its just a lot of moving parts.

Krug would be part of the deal to bring in panarin, as well as bjork. If the bruins can rid themselves of backes contract. It opens up $12.175mil in cap space(Krug+backes+bjork), add that to the already available cap space the bruins have of $16.6 million next offseason(using the same cap figure for this year, but the cap will also most likely increase next year giving the bruins more wiggle room) and you have 28.875mil in cap space. Add panarin at $9mil it goes down to $19.875

$19.875mil is enough to sign our RFAs in mcavoy, Carlo, Heinen and donato.

The cap has gone up an average of $2.1mil per year over the last 5 years. So the bruins having roughly $22mil to play with next year after acquiring panarin and moving Krug/backes/bjork is very realistic. Can even move kevan Miller and free up another $2.5mil.

So bruins could not only get panarin, sign their RFAs but also sign back chara as well.

Reactions: Strafer

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Krug would be part of the deal to bring in panarin, as well as bjork. If the bruins can rid themselves of backes contract. It opens up $12.175mil in cap space(Krug+backes+bjork), add that to the already available cap space the bruins have of $16.6 million next offseason(using the same cap figure for this year, but the cap will also most likely increase next year giving the bruins more wiggle room) and you have 28.875mil in cap space. Add panarin at $9mil it goes down to $19.875

The cap has gone up an average of $2.1mil per year over the last 5 years. So the bruins having roughly $22mil to play with next year after acquiring panarin and moving Krug/backes/bjork is very realistic. Can even move kevan Miller and free up another $2.5mil.

So bruins could not only get panarin, sign their RFAs but also sign back chara as well.

Edit your Team - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Panarin - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I don't see enough money here with Chara. Which is fine. But, it is a LOT of moving parts to make it work. And if I was another GM I would put the screws to the Bruins if they already had Backes money committed. Or maybe I'm the Rangers with a pile of cash and ring McAvoy with an offersheet? Again. Panarin would be awesome. But lots of moving parts.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Or is it his coaches haven't wanted to use him there.

Really do anyone see a guy like Backes, who will go through a wall for his team, saying to his coaches and teammates "I know you want me in the middle but I don't want to play there"?

Personally I see the Bruins getting a lot more value out of him as a Center. He'll be more involved in defending down low, behind and in front of the net, where he can use his strengths more often. Also forces him to keep his feet moving more, as a winger especially in the defensive zone you tend to be more stationary as your mostly responsible for the point-men from the high slot and out. Backes first-step now from a stationary position is brutal, if I had a nickel for how many times in the playoffs he broke the puck out along the right-side wall, only to be caught at mid-ice by faster backcheckers and forced to dump the puck in, I could retire.
Still stands. He's years removed from playing center. Whether or not he doesn't want to play center OR the coaches don't believe he's a center it stands either way. He isn't gonna play center again in his career but: That is just my opinion, you could be right I just feel like it isn't gonna happen for the reasons I gave.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Edit your Team - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I don't see enough money here with Chara. Which is fine. But, it is a LOT of moving parts to make it work. And if I was another GM I would put the screws to the Bruins if they already had Backes money committed. Or maybe I'm the Rangers with a pile of cash and ring McAvoy with an offersheet? Again. Panarin would be awesome. But lots of moving parts.

Can’t see your edited team salary cap so don’t know how much $$ you gave each RFA.

When was the last time a team claimed an RFA of mcavoy a caliber, draft capital cost to take mcavoy on top of the salary they would have to pay him to out price the bruins would certainly not be worth it.

Any team who signs mcavoy at $6.1m-$8.1m would have to give the bruins a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Anything from $8.1-10.1m would be two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Considering rangers are in a rebuild that’s going to be some very high round draft picks on top of paying mcavoy that salary. Extremely unlikely to happen.

Also teams with low salary like VGK or Arizona would take on backes contract if we gave them a draft pick or two as added compensation.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Can’t see your edited team salary cap so don’t know how much $$ you gave each RFA.

When was the last time a team claimed an RFA of mcavoy a caliber, draft capital cost to take mcavoy on top of the salary they would have to pay him to out price the bruins would certainly not be worth it.

Any team who signs mcavoy at $6.1m-$8.1m would have to give the bruins a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Anything from $8.1-10.1m would be two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Considering rangers are in a rebuild that’s going to be some very high round draft picks on top of paying mcavoy that salary. Extremely unlikely to happen.

Also teams with low salary like VGK or Arizona would take on backes contract if we gave them a draft pick or two as added compensation.

Sorry updated post with correct link. The point is that trying to work out the salary implications after the fact can lead to other GMs giving you the screws. I'm a big booster of the "Backes is only 2.5x2 come 7/1 next year and is easy to move" club... but the cost goes way up if the Bruins have their backs against the wall.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

You still haven't addressed the part of Columbus not needing Krug. They are stacked on D.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Yeah the team actually has to have the player to move. Once a buy-out is done, it's on the books until its expired.

Long-term I don't see the benefit of Schneider over Rask. He signed for one-more season, and with little in the short-term in the pipeline (Swayman looks good but is still likely several years away, he may still be in the NCAA by the time Rask's contract is done),And Schneider is one year older.

With the lowest potential cap hit in the league with 21 players signed, if you wanted to move McQuaid for cap savings, you'd likely have no issue doing so for a draft pick to NJ, or many teams for that matter.

Plenty of stories out there that NJ needs a veteran, stable, D depth add.

At 2 million, it’s hardly breaking the bank stuff, as you mention. NJ has loads of room anyways.

All reasons I took a stab at NJ. They’re a good fit for Boston’s need to trim McQuaid.

I added a 6th to get back some quality in NJ’s 12th or so ranked prospect in Bastian.

Honestly, I’d love DS to just tell Adam “yeah, you’re starting the season upstairs...but it’s inevitable you’ll be playing an important 4-5 D roll within a month.”

I mean, it’s 2 million. Seems like a great depth investment to me. Who better than McQuaid with his team familiarity, physical presence, and quality (for a #7).

The thing is, I don’t trust DS to plan on McQuaid being a #7.

It’s not something I’d want to have to be the one to tell Adam. Haha

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You still haven't addressed the part of Columbus not needing Krug. They are stacked on D.

Their top 3 scoring LHD had 37 points, 23 points and 17 points last year. They could definitely use the offense and allow Pressure to come off Seth Jones From an offensive standpoint.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Their top 3 scoring LHD had 37 points, 23 points and 17 points last year. They could definitely use the offense and allow Pressure to come off Seth Jones From an offensive standpoint.

Werenski had a shoulder issue and still scored 16 goals. They have their Offensive LHD.

Reactions: wintersej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad