Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
all this talk about... having no interest in player A or B... this guy is finished or that guy is slow...

I think whats lost in the transition is if you can upgrade your 23rd man on the roster... its still an upgrade. not every move has to wow us... not every move has to be for a regular top 6 guy that will come in here and have a huge impact

sometimes just improving the 23rd spot is enough by itself.

honestly from a personal pov… we probably have made enough moves in the bottom of the roster already. up front we have wagner/norstrom as 2/3 of a 4th line that was probably pretty good left unchanged. nash/schaller priced themselves out of here so I get why we had to do the change. but now weve done the change.

kuraly/accari didn't really need to be changed. neither will impress the group here that want to see offense, but honestly both are just find for 4th line. and they do bring the energy hustle that is necessary from a 4th line

getting a vet that once scored 20 goals might add some offense to the 4th line... but imho that wont be necessary

still... playoff teams add experienced vets. its what we do. all this bias against gritty character vets here is tough to take. the reality is that teams like the bruins do add players like gionta and wingles quite often. Detroit used to do it every year. bruins have done it around 20 times in the last 30 years... as playoffs roll around... or even in training camp... some 'washed up' 'slow' vets will get a look... and it happens because these guys will often improve the team at least a little bit

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
all this talk about... having no interest in player A or B... this guy is finished or that guy is slow...

I think whats lost in the transition is if you can upgrade your 23rd man on the roster... its still an upgrade. not every move has to wow us... not every move has to be for a regular top 6 guy that will come in here and have a huge impact

sometimes just improving the 23rd spot is enough by itself.

honestly from a personal pov… we probably have made enough moves in the bottom of the roster already. up front we have wagner/norstrom as 2/3 of a 4th line that was probably pretty good left unchanged. nash/schaller priced themselves out of here so I get why we had to do the change. but now weve done the change.

kuraly/accari didn't really need to be changed. neither will impress the group here that want to see offense, but honestly both are just find for 4th line. and they do bring the energy hustle that is necessary from a 4th line

getting a vet that once scored 20 goals might add some offense to the 4th line... but imho that wont be necessary

still... playoff teams add experienced vets. its what we do. all this bias against gritty character vets here is tough to take. the reality is that teams like the bruins do add players like gionta and wingles quite often. Detroit used to do it every year. bruins have done it around 20 times in the last 30 years... as playoffs roll around... or even in training camp... some 'washed up' 'slow' vets will get a look... and it happens because these guys will often improve the team at least a little bit
If it was any other year I’d probably be fin bringing a guy or two in.

This year though they have several young guys potentially looking to make the roster. If they do, they’re going to need ice time to learn how to play in the league.

The deadline seems more likely to me for a vet add on. There will be injuries anyways throughout the year. They would also have a better idea of which guys have anything left in the tank at that point too.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
i'm actually wondering if they'll consider bringing a couple of guys in on PTOs this fall.
reason being that while the majority of the varsity will be in china, the bruins still have
preseason games going on over here. so there's room for extra bodies, especially veteran
guys who help you cover the minimum games played requirements.

I am pretty sure the Bruins and Flames have been granted an exemption to the veteran requirements for the ex games in North America. The league and the PA wants the best players in China.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Been hearing Colton Parayko’s name being tossed around in the media as a trade candidate.

If bruins could acquire Parayko and then in a separate trade use Carlo in a package to get David Backes contract out would you guys pull the trigger?

Right handed defender making $5.5 million and could slot him right behind mcavoy on the right side. Then use Carlo to get backes $6 off the books and not have to pay Carlo as a RFA next year. Could be some solid cap savings for next season.

Of course there would be other players/prospects leaving to acquire Parayko and some form of return for Carlo and backes, but interesting to think about and could shave off a couple million dollars for next year.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Why would the Blues move Parayko?
He was a -7 last season, but St. Louis was having a rough year. His point production has been steady at low to mid 30s in his 3 years. He is 25 years old and just entering his prime.
He has played well in the WC and is making 5.5mil a year until 2022.

This is the kind of guy you want on your team. The only reason they move him is for someone like Panarin or you want to blow everything up and rebuild.

Who has been tossing his name around? Anyone valid?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don’t see any reason why the Blues would move him, but it’s possible they don’t think that highly of him and/or want to use him to upgrade somewhere else. I mean, some posters here want to move Krug to upgrade somewhere else, right?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
To answer my own question:

[Chris Nichols: Friedman on his podcast: “There’s been a strange undercurrent of rumor w/ Colton Parayko, that maybe St. Louis potentially might be willing to do something there. It was around the draft. It went away. It didn’t happen. It would take a huge price, but I think teams asked about it.”

Chris Nichols: Friedman continued: “I’m just curious. Doug Armstrong and Steve Yzerman are tight. I dunno. If Yzerman can’t get Karlsson, would he consider Parayko. I’m not saying that’s going to happen, but I could see that being the type of fit that he would look to.”]

Seems like summer reaching to me.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why would the Blues move Parayko?
He was a -7 last season, but St. Louis was having a rough year. His point production has been steady at low to mid 30s in his 3 years. He is 25 years old and just entering his prime.
He has played well in the WC and is making 5.5mil a year until 2022.

This is the kind of guy you want on your team. The only reason they move him is for someone like Panarin or you want to blow everything up and rebuild.

Who has been tossing his name around? Anyone valid?

Friedman (as you mentioned), also saw it on hockey writers and bleacher report. I have absolutely no clue if there’s any substance to this at all. Just saw his name being tossed around and since it’s the dog days of summer I thought I’d throw it out there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins are all about within

It will snow M&M’s before we see another significant deal

They need games to evaluate and to hit on a few more of the kids the way DeBrusk and Heinen did

They hit on 2 of 3 as top 9 centers in T-Fred, J-Stud, or JFK this team is a force.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bruins are all about within

It will snow M&M’s before we see another significant deal

They need games to evaluate and to hit on a few more of the kids the way DeBrusk and Heinen did

They hit on 2 of 3 as top 9 centers in T-Fred, J-Stud, or JFK this team is a force.

I strongly disagree that we won’t see a significant deal. Bruins legitimately don’t have room for all their center prospects and their left handed D prospects.

LHD prospects:

Zboril
Vaak
Lauzon

With Krug tied up for two more years and gryz signed that’s 5 LHD for 3 spots. I highly doubt they just let two of these guys walk.

Center prospects:

JFK
Studnicka
Frederic

With bergy and Krejci signed through at least the next 3 seasons and 3 prospects coming up through the pipeline, again they would be dumb to let these guys walk instead of figuring out a trade to bolster an area of need. Especially with kuraly here as well. That’s 6 centers for 4 spots. Something has to give.

I have a hard time seeing the bruins let any of these guys walk, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the B’s packages some assets to acquire a bigger fish. Maybe a chara replacement or a 2nd line RW.

There is even a log jam at LW that a guy or two could be added to the package.

Left wing players and prospects:

Marchand
Debrusk
Heinen
Donato
Bjork
Cehlarik
Lauko

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I strongly disagree that we won’t see a significant deal. Bruins legitimately don’t have room for all their center prospects and their left handed D prospects.

LHD prospects:

Zboril
Vaak
Lauzon

With Krug tied up for two more years and gryz signed that’s 5 LHD for 3 spots. I highly doubt they just let two of these guys walk.

Center prospects:

JFK
Studnicka
Frederic

With bergy and Krejci signed through at least the next 3 seasons and 3 prospects coming up through the pipeline, again they would be dumb to let these guys walk instead of figuring out a trade to bolster an area of need. Especially with kuraly here as well. That’s 6 centers for 4 spots. Something has to give.

I have a hard time seeing the bruins let any of these guys walk, so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the B’s packages some assets to acquire a bigger fish. Maybe a chara replacement or a 2nd line RW.

Marchand
Debrusk
Heinen
Donato
Bjork
Cehlarik
Lauko
Only after evaluation and lots of games

I don’t see a significant deal if that before Valentine’s Day

You can’t trade what you don’t know you have or even need

Certainly not a top 6 forward or top 4

They will add Nash back if he wants to play that would be the big move

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Been hearing Colton Parayko’s name being tossed around in the media as a trade candidate.

If bruins could acquire Parayko and then in a separate trade use Carlo in a package to get David Backes contract out would you guys pull the trigger?

Right handed defender making $5.5 million and could slot him right behind mcavoy on the right side. Then use Carlo to get backes $6 off the books and not have to pay Carlo as a RFA next year. Could be some solid cap savings for next season.

Of course there would be other players/prospects leaving to acquire Parayko and some form of return for Carlo and backes, but interesting to think about and could shave off a couple million dollars for next year.

We have no idea what Carlo's ceiling is at this point . I hope they don't move him. He's a top 4 already which is amazing for someone his age . Stay pat on Carlo

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

LHD prospects:

Zboril
Vaak
Lauzon

Center prospects:

JFK
Studnicka
Frederic

Marchand
Debrusk
Heinen
Donato
Bjork
Cehlarik
Lauko

There is no real risk of letting any of these guys walk. yes at some point they will no longer waiver eligible, but for most that is years away

In many cases they are still trying to figure out what they have with these guys. For example the centers, yes there is a chance they would move one if there is a big deal and it is necessary to close, but I think they want to see what each can become, and honestly in a couple years there may well be room for all 3 on the NHL roster

Same thing on LHD, there are a lot of guys . I think they will know better on Zboril/Lauzon by midseason this year. UV is like 18 months away from knowing what we really have.

In terms of LW, yes some decisions may start to be needed, Cehlarik probably deserves an NHL chance somewhere, not sure that will happen here, and even Bjork could get caught in a numbers game. Lauko is likely 2-3 years from the NHL, and may still be a C

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Only after evaluation and lots of games

I don’t see a significant deal if that before Valentine’s Day

You can’t trade what you don’t know you have or even need

Certainly not a top 6 forward or top 4

They will add Nash back if he wants to play that would be the big move

I mean ya maybe no significant trade happens before Valentine’s Day, but you saying it will snow m&ms before a significant deal happens makes it sound like a much longer timetable than Valentine’s Day. However I can see a significant deal next off season.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We have no idea what Carlo's ceiling is at this point . I hope they don't move him. He's a top 4 already which is amazing for someone his age . Stay pat on Carlo

Meh he needs to get more than 8 assists or whatever it was to be a staple in the top 4. He gets away with it because he plays with Krug but he’s got a lot of room for improvement

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Meh he needs to get more than 8 assists or whatever it was to be a staple in the top 4. He gets away with it because he plays with Krug but he’s got a lot of room for improvement

Goes both ways tho. Carlo playing the defensive role in the pairing with Krug let’s Krug pinch up in the play. Carlo plays last line of defense almost like a deep safety.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Said it before it was traded, when he was traded and I’ll say it now, the guy to get was Skinner. That price was ludicrous and we easily could have used him on the right side of Krejci. his speed and goal scoring ability was exactly what we needed. Opportunity lost.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Goes both ways tho. Carlo playing the defensive role in the pairing with Krug let’s Krug pinch up in the play. Carlo plays last line of defense almost like a deep safety.

Yes and he’s good at it, but will he be good enough at it to get paid and have a long career here? People are making him out to be Rod Langway all of a sudden it seems.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Said it before it was traded, when he was traded and I’ll say it now, the guy to get was Skinner. That price was ludicrous and we easily could have used him on the right side of Krejci. his speed and goal scoring ability was exactly what we needed. Opportunity lost.

got to figure out the cap room to clear out if we are adding 5.75 for skinner

cap friendly has us projected with 2.959 mill available space with the 23 man roster currently signed to big league deals. this number WILL BE EATEN by things like nagging injuries... illness... guys getting time off for babies or deaths in the family... other issues where a team might carry 24-25-26 active contracts for a day here or a couple days there...

and then comes the issue of performance bonus... the current 23 man roster might earn as many as 3.73 million in potential bonus.

we only have 2.9 million available dollars to pay potentially 3.7 mill in bonuses

quite simply... our cap is maxed out right now... with these 23 contracts... spending any additional money would be foolish.

I get that skinner can score goals and look pretty when he skates fast... but unless you know a way to get him onto the roster without killing the cap... he was never realistically a possibility here.

honestly if I had my choice skinner or backes… id choose backes.

if we are going to spend more money on a cap hit... I vote we spend it on a 3rd line center option. move the McQuaid cap hit and fill that spot with a 3 million dollar center

Reactions: pkunit

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
got to figure out the cap room to clear out if we are adding 5.75 for skinner

cap friendly has us projected with 2.959 mill available space with the 23 man roster currently signed to big league deals. this number WILL BE EATEN by things like nagging injuries... illness... guys getting time off for babies or deaths in the family... other issues where a team might carry 24-25-26 active contracts for a day here or a couple days there...

and then comes the issue of performance bonus... the current 23 man roster might earn as many as 3.73 million in potential bonus.

we only have 2.9 million available dollars to pay potentially 3.7 mill in bonuses

quite simply... our cap is maxed out right now... with these 23 contracts... spending any additional money would be foolish.

I get that skinner can score goals and look pretty when he skates fast... but unless you know a way to get him onto the roster without killing the cap... he was never realistically a possibility here.

honestly if I had my choice skinner or backes… id choose backes.

if we are going to spend more money on a cap hit... I vote we spend it on a 3rd line center option. move the McQuaid cap hit and fill that spot with a 3 million dollar center

Thinking you may be the only hockey fan In the world that would take Backes in his current state than Jeff Skinner. He’s better in every facet of the game (as a winger) by far (except hitting but Backes seldomly get there anymore)

Skinner was avail before July 1st. Would have dealt McQuaid. Would not have signed Nordstrom. There’s your money for Skinner. Maybe you pass on Wagner for cheaper too?

I’d try Donato at center or Heinen for 3C Since our 6 million dollar UFA centerman signing somehow has amnesia in regards to playing the position.

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
DeBrusk Krejci Skinner
Donato Heinen Backes

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

LHD prospects:

Zboril
Vaak
Lauzon

Center prospects:

JFK
Studnicka
Frederic

Marchand
Debrusk
Heinen
Donato
Bjork
Cehlarik
Lauko

When was the last time Sweeney even made a trade? When you think about it, when was the last good free agent signing he made?

He's way too gun shy to make a trade due to his past failures. I have to wonder how he has kept his job this long.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
It looks like we're going into the season with both Backes and Krejci. :help: I'd like to think there was at least an attempt to deal those two.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Skinner would of been nice but he's a UFA after next season and The Bruins will need to re-up McAvoy,Carlo,Donato and Heinen along with Possibly Big Z and McQuaid. Given this and not knowing what the asking price was and with the Bruins having Bjork coming back and Donato for a full season,I'm not totally disappointed in not giving up assets for Skinner when we may already have a solution in one of Bjork/Donato.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
When was the last time Sweeney even made a trade? When you think about it, when was the last good free agent signing he made?

He's way too gun shy to make a trade due to his past failures. I have to wonder how he has kept his job this long.

He traded for rick Nash, Holden and wingers at the trade deadline in February. So roughly 8 months ago.

Riley Nash was also a pretty good free agent signing, but ya his free agent signings are rough.

Lol this team had 112 points last year. That’s why he has a job. He hired an outstanding prospect scouting staff which has paid incredible dividends.

Free agent signings for the most part have been lack luster, no doubt, but questioning why he has a job is wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad