Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bwaahahahahahahahaha.

I'm not sure where you got that explanation for stick flex and how it was to blame for Lucic’s woes last season? I think it’s a little off base?

There is no good or bad flex. The lower the number of the flex on the stick, the MORE flexible it is. So, a stick with a 65 flex bends easier than a stick with an 85 flex.

Players choose the flex of their sticks based on personal preference, but the general rule of thumb is that the flex of a stick should be half the player’s body weight. My son, who is a string bean, weighs 110 pounds, so for him to get anything out of a composite stick, he needs a low flex (bends easy). I have kind of a hard time finding him a 55 flex, but fortunately CCM makes a Super Tack stick in that number.

Lucic probably weighs 230-240, so the average flex for one of his sticks should be around 115-120. If he hurt his wrists, one would assume that he would have to switch to a lower flex (more flexible) stick in order to get more bend with less stress on his wrists? The only way that it would affect his play to such a large degree would be if he dropped down to some ridiculously low flex for a guy his size (70?). If he had to go to a stick with a flex that low, just to shoot, he shouldn’t be on the ice.

Also, the flex of a stick does not “make or break” an NHL player, or elevate their shots to NHL caliber. Choosing the right flex can help a player perform his best, but it’s not going to give a guy who doesn’t have an NHL caliber shot an NHL caliber shot.

I’m calling BS on the stick being Looch’s downfall.

just repeating what the guys here in Edmonton are saying... I remember when brian rolston went from a pretty crappy bottom guy on a team to an overnight 40 goals scorer. derek sanderson started talking about how it was all due to the new sticks he and glen murray were using.

I was like... really? sticks make a difference?

few nights ago mark stone or matt duchesne switched sticks and used ryan ellis stick... scored a couple goals. I had to watch the Ottawa feed for the bruins game and had to listen to how the stick curve is so important... how these guys start using a stick model as kids and its not right for them and they need to experiment with more sticks

when loui debrusk was talking about lucics flex... he said because he was a fighter his wrist couldn't handle the flex too he said a stiff stick is hard to pass with... hard to shoot with. you get used to the snap and when you have to change it effects you

ive never played competitive hockey so I don't know crap... just sharing what these guys who do know are saying

never hurts to listen to guys talk about this stuff who do know what they are talking about I guess

Reactions: Strafer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
None of that has anything to do with anything I said. The single player, Milan Lucic, makes too much for his on ice performance. July 1st as a whole ends up with awful deals for the 'top free agents'. Tax payers, billionaires. None of that has any effect. In relation the the NHL Salary cap, Milan Lucic has a bad contract.

I definitely get that you think hes overpaid

when I see the drive thru selling coffee for 3.49 a cup I say that's crazy too much money. id never in a billion years pay 3.49 for coffee. that's my opinion

and theres a huge lineup of people that disagree. the coffee shop is opening up locations all across the country and selling lots of coffee for 3.49

so your opinion... you wouldn't pay lucic 6 mil. you feel hes overpaid. my opinion is the same as yours

and neither of our opinion matters because the oilers feel hes worth 6 million and they are paying him

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

when I see the drive thru selling coffee for 3.49 a cup I say that's crazy too much money. id never in a billion years pay 3.49 for coffee. that's my opinion

and theres a huge lineup of people that disagree. the coffee shop is opening up locations all across the country and selling lots of coffee for 3.49

so your opinion... you wouldn't pay lucic 6 mil. you feel hes overpaid. my opinion is the same as yours

and neither of our opinion matters because the oilers feel hes worth 6 million and they are paying him

Because the Oilers are the pinnacle of success. Maybe they can just play McDavid 30 minutes a game.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
just repeating what the guys here in Edmonton are saying... I remember when brian rolston went from a pretty crappy bottom guy on a team to an overnight 40 goals scorer. derek sanderson started talking about how it was all due to the new sticks he and glen murray were using.

I was like... really? sticks make a difference?

few nights ago mark stone or matt duchesne switched sticks and used ryan ellis stick... scored a couple goals. I had to watch the Ottawa feed for the bruins game and had to listen to how the stick curve is so important... how these guys start using a stick model as kids and its not right for them and they need to experiment with more sticks

when loui debrusk was talking about lucics flex... he said because he was a fighter his wrist couldn't handle the flex too he said a stiff stick is hard to pass with... hard to shoot with. you get used to the snap and when you have to change it effects you

ive never played competitive hockey so I don't know crap... just sharing what these guys who do know are saying

never hurts to listen to guys talk about this stuff who do know what they are talking about I guess

If Lucic’s wrist couldn’t handle a stiff flex, he would switch to a lower one. As I said before, if a 230 pound guy uses too low a flex, it wouldn’t be good. A heavy guy would want a stiffer flex, which would make it easier to pass and shoot, not harder.

Either you are getting the story wrong or they are full of shit. There are other considerations, such as kick points, but I really don’t want to get into that.

Sounds like people are making excuses for Lucic?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If Lucic’s wrist couldn’t handle a stiff flex, he would switch to a lower one. As I said before, if a 230 pound guy uses too low a flex, it wouldn’t be good. A heavy guy would want a stiffer flex, which would make it easier to pass and shoot, not harder.

Either you are getting the story wrong or they are full of ****. There are other considerations, such as kick points, but I really don’t want to get into that.

Sounds like people are making excuses for Lucic?

I might have misunderstood... im no expert
just saying he had a stick he had success with.... then had to change... now is back to the old stick but im sure this is far less likely to effect his play then suddenly getting too slow between dec 23 and dec 27

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Because the Oilers are the pinnacle of success. Maybe they can just play McDavid 30 minutes a game.

31 teams try to succeed...

the very worst of these teams is the 31st best team in the world. a guy like lucic would destroy you and me in a game of beer league hockey

but... the other 30 teams are trying to win too. the other 720 nhl pros are better than you and me too

lucic and the oilers compete against nhl standards and last year wasn't good. I never said last year was good. in fact I predicted bad things for the team when vegas said they were cup favorites

I am not a fan of young teams with no gritty defensive strong leadership

lucic isn't enough even when hes healthy

they prob will play McDavid 30 mins but it wont help them win. they need more guys like backes, Nordstrom, miller, chara and of course Bergeron and marchand

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

the very worst of these teams is the 31st best team in the world. a guy like lucic would destroy you and me in a game of beer league hockey

but... the other 30 teams are trying to win too. the other 720 nhl pros are better than you and me too

lucic and the oilers compete against nhl standards and last year wasn't good. I never said last year was good. in fact I predicted bad things for the team when vegas said they were cup favorites

they prob will play McDavid 30 mins but it wont help them win. they need more guys like backes, Nordstrom, miller, chara and of course Bergeron and marchand

You constantly bring up completely irrelevant points.

Now to try to get this even remotely on track.

LA is nose diving hard right now. Toffoli could be a real attractive target.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

but the Oilers almost certainly don't think he's worth the money...not any more. They'd trade him in a heartbeat if some team was willing to take him and his full cap hit.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Selfishly not focusing on Lucic' abilities while trying to pad his own stats. He needs to slow the game down the way Krecji did when paired with Looch. Classic case of selfishness. :nod:
this is legitimately the dumbest thing I have ever seen someone say on this forum and that's covering a lot of ground.

edit: nevermind, you said it was a joke. though it's telling that I had no doubt you were serious.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Do you have a point re: Lucic? I swear you've typed over a thousand words on this page alone on the subject and it's still not clear to me at all what your position is. Someone said Lucic isn't the player he was and that he's not worth his contract and you've rambled about it incoherently for several posts and I'm still not even sure if you agree or not.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Do you have a point re: Lucic? I swear you've typed over a thousand words on this page alone on the subject and it's still not clear to me at all what your position is. Someone said Lucic isn't the player he was and that he's not worth his contract and you've rambled about it incoherently for several posts and I'm still not even sure if you agree or not.

theres every reason to think hes still a player worth the 6 mill when you look at reality

my own stand was that the term was too long and its not a contract I was in agreement with

but it is fair market value and obviously there are teams that are happy to pay it

hes not being offered in a trade... his agent made that perfectly clear

its unlikely the game got too fast for him between December 23 and December 27

its more likely he went home for Christmas... got a bit depressed... possibly was battling injuries like most guys do
went into a short slump that became worst because of his depression... wasn't helped at all by the different stick

but you believe what you want.

whether im right or not... now comes the next stage... will he rebound? I say yes. you probably say no. lets continue this discussion then because its all going over your head now

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
but the Oilers almost certainly don't think he's worth the money...not any more. They'd trade him in a heartbeat if some team was willing to take him and his full cap hit.

I might have agreed with you 4 months ago... in fact I did agree with this 4 months ago

then I heard his agent and the team deny it in no uncertain terms. now im stuck. should I continue to believe they would trade him with no proof other than my own bias. or should I accept their word when they swore they were being honest?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I might have agreed with you 4 months ago... in fact I did agree with this 4 months ago

then I heard his agent and the team deny it in no uncertain terms. now im stuck. should I continue to believe they would trade him with no proof other than my own bias. or should I accept their word when they swore they were being honest?

Well, if his agent and the team denied it, then it must be false...

How many times have we seen agents, GM’s, others assorted FO personnel deny something, only to see it happen two weeks later?

Reactions: TCB

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I find it funny that a player or players in the top league in the world haven’t tried every type of stick to make sure they have the best stick for them. We’re talking 15 years or so to find out. Complete BS. Struggling players always mention stick issues. Lucic has other issues besides his stick. It’s not like he was a sniper before. A stick doesn’t make you skate and check harder.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
The amount of "experts" on this board about why Lucic has declined is amazing! In saying that, there must be some MD's/PHD's on here as well to determine he doesn't suffer from depression from the suicide of his father. Holy smokes, I read the same article and listened to the same video @Alberta_OReilly_Fan is referencing up here in Canada. He's stating what was reported up here.

There's guys here who are calling others out for not caring about Backes health and just wanting him traded and then turning around and saying Lucic's struggles last year had nothing to do with an apparent and reported wrist issue at Christmas and mental health issues caused by the death of his father. Hope you guys see the irony in that!

The one thing that I read in the last 3 pages that made sense. Edmonton has little to no depth at forward right now and Lucic is actually playing good this season. I believe he's leading the league in hits, well he was at one point. He's playing with Strome and they're developing some nice chemsitry and he's still 1st PP unit. He's not getting traded and he sure as shit isn't getting traded for Backes, who potentially will never play again and even if he does, he's been ten times worse than Lucic this season.

Would it be nice to have the old #17 back scoring 25-30 and face punching guys who take cheap shots at our guys, yes, but it's not happening. I am guilty of wanting the old Lucic back, 100%, I'm guilty of wanting a 30% retained Lucic back but it's not happening. SO let's move on from the Oilers and Lucic. I don't think Sweeney and PC are in a hurry to do business together anyway.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Would Edmonton or Boston do Donato or Bjork for Puljujarvi?
I wouldn't from a Boston perspective. I was intrigued by Puju because of his mention in earlier posts. I watched him closely in the Edmonton game and was not impressed. He's got good size, a RH shot and skates well.

Granted I only watched closely for one game. But I've seen a lot of Donato and Bjork and recognize they have high skill and IQ levels that haven't translated into production so far this year.

Bottom line, I wouldn't do it now. But I wouldn't mind Puljujarvi on my team.

Reactions: Strafer

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I want some guys that can bang, but I don't want anything to do with Lucic at his cost/term at this point in his career. I love the guy, but can't believe we are still talking about him coming back. LOL

I'd like to see some size come in though. I think the Isles have two guys that I'd be interested in in Anders Lee & Brock Nelson, both UFA to be, and both big bodies. Maybe they could throw in Matt Martin as well, who could take care of some of the physical stuff in games like the last one.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You constantly bring up completely irrelevant points.

Now to try to get this even remotely on track.

LA is nose diving hard right now. Toffoli could be a real attractive target.

How about Kopitar?

Clears their cap situation up if they move him. We'd have to play hard ball with our kids but none of our young guys coming up for resigning are Matthews/Marner/Nylander. You just have to LTIR Backes and wait until after camp to sign a RFA.

Its doable because we got such a damn steal on our 3 first liners and are paying each 60 cents on the dollar for their market value.

Flip Rask in the summer and get an affordable guy to tandem with Halak and LTIR Backes and that is Kopitars salary right there 10 mil in cap space you can give to an elite center to play on the second line. Probably don't even have to move DK he can be 3C and is only moved once Fredric/Studnicka are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad