Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposal - VI - (MOD in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yes, even though Harry Sinden got the better of some deals he also lost on some. He said something years ago about it being a win/win and that the other guy can't be made to look foolish etc (can't remember the words exactly).
I'd add too that sometimes change is good.

I think most of us agree this team legitimately needs a trade, but even when they don't I can see an argument to tweak to keep players from being complacent. Oh well...not here I guess.

Reactions: Strafer

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ryan Donato for Christian Fischer

That is an interesting one.

Definitely fills a need for Boston. Fischer is a big body, RH shot, and moves well for his size and is a good three zone player. I'm not sure he's good enough to play 2nd line, but he could definitely play on the 3rd.

I think Donato has higher upside, but Fischer is the "safer" bet.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Real shame we likely won't pay anyone over what Krejci is making, because Breadman reaaaallly would be a nice player to have. I only start thinking about him again because of the cap raising.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Panarin - Krejci - DeBrusk

Then we can actually let Bjork, Heinen, Donato and company develop in those bottom 6 roles.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I like Krug as much as anyone, but I think he's the most realistic piece to move. The hard part for us to accept is that it's unlikely to be for immediate help, IMO.

Krug is a guy that a cup contender that needs to improve their PP would want.

Those teams aren't going to giveaway a 25 goal guy up front for Krug. Instead they might be willing to move him for a very, very good prospect/picks/package.

That doesn't help now.

The other option is to do the opposite...move really good prospects/youth/picks for established scoring.

Problem is: Bjork, Heinen, Donato, JFK are all likely worth less today than they were in June. So instead of any of them being the center piece to a deal, they've become ancillary pieces.

This means Sweeney is in a tough spot, as in order to improve the scoring right now, he'd likely have to give up a Carlo or McAvoy -- which he'd be crazy to do, unless it's a legit, young 80+ point forward coming back and the package going out isn't prohibitive.

Best case for the B's, IMO...hope someone is in love with Grizz or Lauzon and would be willing to part with a good young forward that is on a similar career track (age, salary, etc.).

And... they are in a position to sell at the deadline and they can hit a home run by moving Krug and get good returns for others that might be sought out by contenders...maybe Nordstrom or Kuraly or even Halak.
Like all of ^^^ this but not sure about Halak. He keeps Rask on track and is a dedicated kinda guy. It also looks bad to trade a free agent signing after he decides to come here, especially since he's playing and fitting in so well.

i wouldn't mind that either...but to execute a trade for Saad, Kreider is not easy
Pearson was "available"
i guess for you, either get those type of players or don't do anything at all
for me if this teams plan is to make noise in the playoffs.... things need to change. Otherwise will be entering the brutal no mans land of drafting 13-14 and not even making the playoffs
I usually agree with you but that mentality is like grabbing the first girl when the music stops at the end of a dance. No matter if goofy, homely or has warts you just have to make a move for the sake of it. I was more willing back when for Pearson but really we have needs and the "want's'' be damned for now.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Ryan Donato for Christian Fischer
I like this deal for both sides honestly.

Not sure I do it but I think it entices both teams. Maybe ARZ more though.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'd add too that sometimes change is good.

I think most of us agree this team legitimately needs a trade, but even when they don't I can see an argument to tweak to keep players from being complacent. Oh well...not here I guess.

Yes, the other thing Harry was a master of was shaking up "the room" when they got complacent and stale. He would pull some dandy's win, lose or draw he didn't let anyone rot in the room or on the vine.

Reactions: rocketdan9

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Crazy how donato was voted the number one prospect on this board in the off season. Now 26 games into his career people want to trade him for a 3rd line winger like Christian Fischer.

Yet the same people who wanted the trade will bash the organization in 2-3 years when donato is much better than Fischer.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
My biggest fear is that we're a .500 team, or slightly above and come deadline day the Bruins acquire Kyle Brodziak or Magnus Paajarvi or something along those lines.
Sounds eerily accurate of what will likely happen.

My guess is the Bruins go on a tear right before deadline, making Sweeney "go for it", only to fall short in the playoffs again due to a myriad of possible reasons.

Fast Forward to June, Sweeney is looking to trade for a 1st round pick because they moved theirs, but doesn't have the assets to do it .

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Real shame we likely won't pay anyone over what Krejci is making, because Breadman reaaaallly would be a nice player to have. I only start thinking about him again because of the cap raising.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Panarin - Krejci - DeBrusk

Then we can actually let Bjork, Heinen, Donato and company develop in those bottom 6 roles.

Why wouldn't we pay someone more than Krejci?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m having a tough time even considering what deals I’d want to do right now because I’m not sure right now if we are “buyers” or “sellers”.

The response on Thursday is going to show me a lot about this team, whether it be good or bad.

I try to not get carried away in making judgments and getting emotional over small samples, but last night’s game and the product that was on display scared me.

After the first period, I was thinking we couldn’t have a worse period. But we legitimately looked like we played in another league (one or two below NHL level) for an entire game.

I just can’t remember the last time I can legitimately say that absolutely EVERYONE looked terrible.

I honestly planned a few days ago on contributing some real proposals to this thread, but I am so so in between now. But now I don’t know if we should be treading for for top 6 F’s...or trading away top 6 F’s for future benefit.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Crazy how donato was voted the number one prospect on this board in the off season. Now 26 games into his career people want to trade him for a 3rd line winger like Christian Fischer.

Yet the same people who wanted the trade will bash the organization in 2-3 years when donato is much better than Fischer.

I think you are severely underrating Fischer. The kid (21) is a player with great upside and would look pretty good alongside Krejci and DeBrusk

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Why wouldn't we pay someone more than Krejci?

Seems to be an idea floating around here around player values in contracts compared to existing players. Not sure if its just speculation or if some of it was truly founded from things management has said. But with what Bergeron, Marchand and Pasta make, it seems unlikely they go out and pay a UFA $9-10m. I'd love to be wrong though.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Seems to be an idea floating around here around player values in contracts compared to existing players. Not sure if its just speculation or if some of it was truly founded from things management has said. But with what Bergeron, Marchand and Pasta make, it seems unlikely they go out and pay a UFA $9-10m. I'd love to be wrong though.

I think they would. I mean supposedly they were in on Tavares and he would of surpassed those salary's to get him to sign and Sweeney/Neely is on record saying that if Tavares was signed other salary's would of had to of been moved out.

That's basically the NHL, you sign today for top dollar or around top dollar, two yrs down the road it isn't going to be top dollar anymore. I think the players are more than aware of this as well as management.

Last edited:
Reactions: compan

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I think they would. I mean supposedly they were in on Tavares and he would of surpassed those salary's to get him to sign and Sweeney/Neely is on record saying that if Tavares was signed other salary's would of had to of been moved out.

That's basically the NHL, you sign today for top dollar or around top dollar, two yrs done the road it isn't going to be top dollar anymore. I think the players are more than aware of this as well as management.

I certainly hope so because I do think our current need is going to cost us an expensive individual contract. Would much rather pay Panarin $10m than Tavares $12m for sure though.

Reactions: TCB

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I like Krug as much as anyone, but I think he's the most realistic piece to move. The hard part for us to accept is that it's unlikely to be for immediate help, IMO.

Krug is a guy that a cup contender that needs to improve their PP would want.

Those teams aren't going to giveaway a 25 goal guy up front for Krug. Instead they might be willing to move him for a very, very good prospect/picks/package.

That doesn't help now.

The other option is to do the opposite...move really good prospects/youth/picks for established scoring.

Problem is: Bjork, Heinen, Donato, JFK are all likely worth less today than they were in June. So instead of any of them being the center piece to a deal, they've become ancillary pieces.

This means Sweeney is in a tough spot, as in order to improve the scoring right now, he'd likely have to give up a Carlo or McAvoy -- which he'd be crazy to do, unless it's a legit, young 80+ point forward coming back and the package going out isn't prohibitive.

Best case for the B's, IMO...hope someone is in love with Grizz or Lauzon and would be willing to part with a good young forward that is on a similar career track (age, salary, etc.).

And... they are in a position to sell at the deadline and they can hit a home run by moving Krug and get good returns for others that might be sought out by contenders...maybe Nordstrom or Kuraly or even Halak.

Interesting take Sarge and you definitely make think about it in a slightly different way as far as Sweeney being in a tough spot. I still think he has what it takes to make a move now and get what we need now. Krug + a Heinen/Bjork/Donato/JFK etc to bring back that player we need now. I personally would be very disappointed if we moved Lauzon or Grz. I think those are the guys you keep. It would have to be a real nice player coming back for me to do that. We have a great young defensive core and Torey is not in the plans for that, and shouldn't be so I'd hang onto those guys and move Torey. Zboril can go, he's down the depth chart quite a ways.

I don't know. I really think he needs to pull the trigger before the roster freeze. I'm concerned we may get waxed these next two games.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I’m having a tough time even considering what deals I’d want to do right now because I’m not sure right now if we are “buyers” or “sellers”.

The response on Thursday is going to show me a lot about this team, whether it be good or bad.

I try to not get carried away in making judgments and getting emotional over small samples, but last night’s game and the product that was on display scared me.

After the first period, I was thinking we couldn’t have a worse period. But we legitimately looked like we played in another league (one or two below NHL level) for an entire game.

I just can’t remember the last time I can legitimately say that absolutely EVERYONE looked terrible.

I honestly planned a few days ago on contributing some real proposals to this thread, but I am so so in between now. But now I don’t know if we should be treading for for top 6 F’s...or trading away top 6 F’s for future benefit.
I saw a bunch of guys who were probably tired, playing over their heads for a dozen games and depleted of enthusiasm. Maybe they've been waiting for the cavalry which hasn't arrived yet. The team was not completed in the off season and now with the injuries all of their warts are on display. I still feel that if they can fill their top holes 3C/RW and then the big guys start trickling back they can compete but help needs to be coming in ASAP (in the next couple weeks) or they may as well look at selling off some pieces.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You may be correct but if they're going to continue this attitude of nobody making more than "player X" then they are not going to move forward. Every day players salaries get leapfrogged. Being pissed off that a player comes to your team and makes 2 million more than you is childish. I don't think that Bergy is that way or even DK. If that's the way they think after DS were to make an (hypothetical) expensive mood then that means that their individual ego's are more important than winning.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think you are severely underrating Fischer. The kid (21) is a player with great upside and would look pretty good alongside Krejci and DeBrusk

I’m just not giving up on our top prospect in our system after 26 games. Donato proved last year he can put up points when he has talent around him on krejcis line.

This year he’s had a revolving door of backes, Nordstrom, kuraly, etc as his center. Not exactly setting him up for success. I’d much rather make a move for true 3rd line center and see how donato plays with a more talented player than give up on him because he has had trash centers the entire season.

The biggest knock by bruins fans on chiarelli was that he wasn’t giving young guys tome to develop and putting them in positions to succeed. Now Bruins fans are ready to give up on a guy after 26 games where he’s had 7 goals and 4 assists in his short career.

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My 2020-21 defense

Vaakanainen-McAvoy
Moore-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Lauzon

Possible candidates
Andersson
Zboril
Clifton
Johansson
Sherman

Chara probably retired
Krug a UFA
Kevan Miller a possibility return

Expansion also looming

I have it as the best group in hockey but this is subjective and I been busy leading my two fantasy football and betting league and haven’t studied the Western Confrence as well as Eastern but I’m confident this is an insanely skilled group

Maybe 1989 Flames worthy

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I’m just not giving up on our top prospect in our system after 26 games. Donato proved last year he can put up points when he has talent around him on krejcis line.

This year he’s had a revolving door of backes, Nordstrom, kuraly, etc as his center. Not exactly setting him up for success. I’d much rather make a move for true 3rd line center and see how donato plays with a more talented player than give up on him because he has had trash centers the entire season.

Yesterday he was on Krejci's line and he looked like a colleague boy. Honestly, what qualities you see in him we don't see?
The team was firing on all cylinders when he came in the spring. That little points outburst fooled everybody that he is ready. He had no pressure so it was easy to score some points.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Two cheap(ish) trades to consider...

Kevin Hayes for a 2nd Rd Pick and JFK.
Brassard was dealt for a 3rd last year and Lars Eller went for two 2nd's two years ago so I'm thinking Hayes is somewhere in that range.

He's a career 45 point center with size, decent on draws and sound defensively so your classic 3c. He's also a moose in front of the net and would provide that LH shot, net front screener they've been looking for since Nash left.

Bobby Ryan (50% retained) for Jakub Zboril.

I think Ryan and Krejci would be dyno-mite together. His contract is bad, even at 50% retained ($3.6 cap hit) it's bad because of the term (4 years). But if he doesn't produce in a couple years you could buy out the last two years and with the money retained it would only cost about $900k on a cap that is expected to go up and up. I would think Ottawa is desperate to free up some part of the money tied up in Ryan to give it to Duchene and Stone. He could also give the PP a boost, playing the bumper role on the second unit with Krejci, DeBrusk and Backes in front.

Marchy - Bergy - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Ryan
Heinen - Hayes - Donato
Nords - Kuraly - Backes

They're not the super sexy additions we all pine for, but that lineup looks deep and balanced. They're both producing at a 50 point pace on their current teams.

Last year we definitely got pushed around by Tampa in the second round and these two additions would make us a lot bigger though the middle6, with Ryan at 6'2" and Hayes at 6'5". Bobby Ryan is the more physical of the two, averaging about a 100 hits a year, and while Hayes isn't a big hitter, he is a battler, averaging over 50 takeaways a year.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I would LOVE for Donato to be a world beater but maybe his staying up here while he should still be in college or the "A" is the worse thing for his development and confidence right now? I can't see them trading him because after the Jimmy Hayes debacle the B's management will have a label attached to them "Bostonian's need not apply." Whether for good or bad they already lost out on Vesey. If they trade Ryan now it will not bode well for future free agents etc. from the Boston area.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Two cheap(ish) trades to consider...

Kevin Hayes for a 2nd Rd Pick and JFK.
Brassard was dealt for a 3rd last year and Lars Eller went for two 2nd's two years ago so I'm thinking Hayes is somewhere in that range.

He's a career 45 point center with size, decent on draws and sound defensively so your classic 3c. He's also a moose in front of the net and would provide that LH shot, net front screener they've been looking for since Nash left.

Bobby Ryan (50% retained) for Jakub Zboril.

I think Ryan and Krejci would be dyno-mite together. His contract is bad, even at 50% retained ($3.6 cap hit) it's bad because of the term (4 years). But if he doesn't produce in a couple years you could buy out the last two years and with the money retained it would only cost about $900k on a cap that is expected to go up and up. I would think Ottawa is desperate to free up some part of the money tied up in Ryan to give it to Duchene and Stone. He could also give the PP a boost, playing the bumper role on the second unit with Krejci, DeBrusk and Backes in front.

Marchy - Bergy - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - Ryan
Heinen - Hayes - Donato
Nords - Kuraly - Backes

They're not the super sexy additions we all pine for, but that lineup looks deep and balanced. They're both producing at a 50 point pace on their current teams.

Last year we definitely got pushed around by Tampa in the second round and these two additions would make us a lot bigger though the middle6, with Ryan at 6'2" and Hayes at 6'5". Bobby Ryan is the more physical of the two, averaging about a 100 hits a year, and while Hayes isn't a big hitter, he is a battler, averaging over 50 takeaways a year.

Thinking outside the box here Bill, and I like it!:thumbu:

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Felger and Mazz on wbz 98.5 fm talking Bruins/hockey right now.

Mods, please excuse me and delete if this isn't appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad