Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Jaroslav Halak 2yr x 2.75

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Halak is an upgrade over Dobby.

But to me, you don’t spend more than 1M on a backup.

Wasted Cap hit.

Except that the vast majority of teams are spending more than that on their back-up.

This kind of cap thinking is out-dated. Your not getting good back-ups with a 80 million cap for under a million unless you develop one yourself.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They got a real good back up if healthy who has been outstanding

Rask gets hurt he can win

They are a 112 Point team with still top 10 prospects pool

Maybe Clark Booth and Fluto can write how dark days ahead

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I would rather slightly overpay for a serviceable backup who has shown he can start and step in if Rask gets injured, than go cheap just because some teams don't pay much for backups. Backup goalies are very important in today's NHL and can be a real difference maker in terms of points at the end of the season.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Mrazek @ 1.5mil
Hutton @ 2.75mil
Ward @ 3 mil
Bernier @ 3 mil

How exactly is paying a goalie exactly what every other goalie is getting this offseason considered "BRUTAL"?

Hutton is being counted on as starter or at worst 1b.
CHI has huge question in goal with Crawford so capable back up is needed.
CAR has a hole in net, so Mrazek can easily become their starter.

None of those are good comps for a team has has a highpriced supposed elite goalie. I like Halak, and I don't mind the signing, but if Rask was what he's supposed to be, a cheaper goalie to play 15 games a year would be better.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Halak was sent to the minors for almost the entire season 2 years ago. When he came up for the final month of the Season he almost single-handedly got the Islanders into the playoffs with an incredible run. Last year because of it he had the reins handed to him and he played on an Islanders team who was decimated on the back end almost the entire season and it showed. He is coming in to this situation not having to be the guy so should be a really good backup for Rask. I would be shocked if he's not a better backup then kudobin was

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
8 years ago Halak stood on his head in the playoffs and led the Habs to the ECF. However the team decided Price was the future and traded him to St. Louis and he been mediocre since.

:dunno:

Reactions: Silva

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
upgrade on khudobin on the ice, heard halak is a handful off the ice though. not a bad guy, but he's not
low maintenance. i'm sure chara rubber stamped it though - teammates internationally and probably
know each other well. he'll push tuukka and can handle 30 starts without issue - and more if needed.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
So were spending 10 mill on goaltending for the next two years

Would have preferred Dobby

I wanted another year of Anton but I think 2 years at such a big cap hit is risky.

This is fine we signed a guy who has been a starter and has also had great seasons in the past sharing the job. He should be better than he was for the Isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad