Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Jaroslav Halak 2yr x 2.75

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I got a feeling this is going to be for the same kind of money Dobby was looking for. With the expectation being Halak is capable of taking more starts .

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He’s 33 and as recently as 3 years ago was excellent

He was outstanding in St Louis and has been a high end #1 Behind strong defenses

This is an upgrade and probably significantl unless there is something wrong with Halak

2 signings 2 thumbs up
He's available in the HFL. Make an offer since you are so high on him!

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Nothing on numbers yet? I love this signing if the numbers are right

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I read on the Islanders board last night that he was deciding between two teams. Wonder who the other team was and what they were offering.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE........GARBAGE......GARBAGE....What a disgrace and i cant even believe this garbage......What a waste of money.....What a disgraceful signing......ABSOLUTE GARBAGE....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He's available in the HFL. Make an offer since you are so high on him!
I will and I’ll be lookinj to deal with you - you have a few players that interest me

I’m on everyday rooting my draft pick 67 points and fighting off the Loons for 11th pick

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I really like this signing.

I'm of the opinion that Rask needs to be pushed, that he plays his best when challenged. Dobby was a solid backup for us, but he was never a starting goalie, he was never going to be a legit option to start a playoff game. Halak has nearly 500 games in the NHL (.916). He has excellent playoff numbers (.924). He can play 50 games if need be. This is what we've needed, a legit 1A/1B competition in net.

I guess there's always the risk that his game falls off. He's 33, but Dobby's about the same age so the risk was the same. As long as the terms are favorable, I like it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I really like this signing.

I'm of the opinion that Rask needs to be pushed, that he plays his best when challenged. Dobby was a solid backup for us, but he was never a starting goalie, he was never going to be a legit option to start a playoff game. Halak has nearly 500 games in the NHL. He has excellent playoff numbers. He can play 50 games if need be. This is what we've needed, a legit 1A, 1B competition in net.

I guess there's always the risk that his game falls off. He's 33, but Dobby's about the same age so the risk was the same. As long as the terms are favorable, I like it.

I don't see Halak as competition for Rask at all.

He's clearly a back-up at this stage.

Question is, is he suited for a back-up role.

I also wonder how Rask would respond to being legitimately pushed for playing time, something he hasn't had to deal with since become a full-time starter in 2013.

Not all starters respond well to competition from their back-ups.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
His numbers last year with the Isles were well below his career averages, but they were a dumpster fire and he played too much. In Boston, with a better D and less games, I think he will be very good.

Hopefully, he’s bridging the gap to a kid like Keyser or Swayman.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE........GARBAGE......GARBAGE....What a disgrace and i cant even believe this garbage......What a waste of money.....What a disgraceful signing......ABSOLUTE GARBAGE....

What the hell are you talking about?????

Their great salary cap signings so far. Wagner brings it every night with jam and Halak as a back-up is grand. Lets not forget. Tim Thomas didn't become an NHL regular until he was 32.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't see Halak as competition for Rask at all.

He's clearly a back-up at this stage.

Question is, is he suited for a back-up role.

I also wonder how Rask would respond to being legitimately pushed for playing time, something he hasn't had to deal with since become a full-time starter in 2013.

Not all starters respond well to competition from their back-ups.

Why not? He played 54 games last year, not his best year statistically but his career average is about what Rask did last year. Halak put up a .941 in 6 games for the World Cup to start the season. It's not like he's that old at 33. Rask is 31.

As for how Rask would respond, IMO Rask's best stretch last season came right after Dobby's hot run of consecutive games. Folks were actually starting to hint at a goalie battle and Rask came in and elevated his game. I think this is what we had when Thomas was here. Rask even took the starting job from TT in 2010 and IMO should have won the Vezina that year.

Halak can play for long stretches if Rask is in a funk or trying to play through an injury. Two years ago, Rask was hurt all year but we didn't have faith that Dobby could play 40+ games so Rask just suffered through. At the very least, we know Rask plays better with rest and Halak can provide that.

Rask also had a very uneven playoff performance last year. A .903 in the playoffs is bottom of the league. Dobby had no experience in the playoffs and wasn't a real option. Halak has 30 games and as good numbers as Rask. I think that makes him a legit option if Rask has couple stinkers. And just knowing that there's a real option should light a fire under Rask.

Again, I haven't seen the numbers so I'll hold off casting a final judgment until I do, but this is the EXACT scenario I wanted to see them set up in net.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why not? He played 54 games last year, not his best year statistically but his career average is about what Rask did last year. Halak put up a .941 in 6 games for the World Cup to start the season. It's not like he's that old at 33. Rask is 31.

As for how Rask would respond, IMO Rask's best stretch last season came right after Dobby's hot run of consecutive games. Folks were actually starting to hint at a goalie battle and Rask came in and elevated his game. I think this is what we had when Thomas was here. Rask even took the starting job from TT in 2010 and IMO should have won the Vezina that year.

Halak can play for long stretches if Rask is in a funk or trying to play through an injury. Two years ago, Rask was hurt all year but we didn't have faith that Dobby could play 40+ games so Rask just suffered through. At the very least, we know Rask plays better with rest and Halak can provide that.

Rask also had a very uneven playoff performance last year. A .903 in the playoffs is bottom of the league. Dobby had no experience in the playoffs and wasn't a real option. Halak has 30 games and as good numbers as Rask. I think that makes him a legit option if Rask has couple stinkers. And just knowing that there's a real option should light a fire under Rask.

Again, I haven't seen the numbers so I'll hold off casting a final judgment until I do, but this is the EXACT scenario I wanted to see them set up in net.

All good points, and Rask does and needs rest to play as well as he can, but I simply don't see that as the scenario that the Bruins have. I see a starter in Rask, and a back-up in Halak.

We really didn't see Khudobin push Rask. Sure we had that small portion where Khudobin played in that west coast trip, but long-term he didn't push him, so it's hard to say how Rask would react to being pushed. It's foolhardy to say that all starters will respond well, both on and off the ice, to being pushed by a back-up. Ask some of Ed Belfour's back-ups how he responded to it. These guys often have pretty big egos.

Fact is, the NY Islanders allowed the most goals against in the NHL last year. And Halak was the guy in net for 2/3 of those games. Certainly their defensive play was a factor, clearly. But it's naive to believe that their struggles last year to keep the puck out of their net was solely on the team defensive play. Halak was a factor in that club finding the puck in the back of their net more than any other NHL team in 2017-18.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Is he?

I'm not so sure.

Dobby was pretty darn good here last year.

I'm not sure what Halak has done in his last 3 seasons to definitively say he's better than Khudobin right now. He could be, we'll see.

Agreed with this. Halak has pretty much fallen off a cliff the past few years. Just hope he signed less for dobby

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
What the hell are you talking about?????

Their great salary cap signings so far. Wagner brings it every night with jam and Halak as a back-up is grand. Lets not forget. Tim Thomas didn't become an NHL regular until he was 32.
GARBAGE waste of money .....We signed GARBAGE......We just signed the Islanders goalie.....PUKE......An under achieving jumped the shark can of garbage.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->