Boston Bruins Bruins sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Similar to Stralman last year and other PTO's the Bruins have picked up over the years.

If the kids are good enough, they'll win a spot. If Chiasson shows he still has something to offer, he'll win a spot. It's that simple. Besides, if he does make it and he ends up being awful while a more deserving kid is ripping it up on the minors, I'm sure Chiasson's contract will be so they can easily self correct during the season.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
He's fast (or was), little bit dirty and has a good shot. Plays in the dirty areas. If the maybe B's want to play they need to realize they have to play a game similar, go to the net, don't take shifts off and work. Even if he doesn't get signed he may embarrass one of their "highly touted" prospects who isn't working as hard. He has always been a hard working vet.

No harm, no foul and on a line with Beecher and Lucic he could be a decent add. Would prefer Austin Watson as a PTO but whatever.
I’d like to see him sign a two way deal. He could be some nice insurance on the right side. He also could show the kids in providence what it takes if he is as hard working as you say. I think the older guys are responsible for how the younger guys train. When they see the older guys work way harder then them then they know they need to step it up.

Reactions: HustleB

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I’d like to see him sign a two way deal. He could be some nice insurance on the right side. He also could show the kids in providence what it takes if he is as hard working as you say. I think the older guys are responsible for how the younger guys train. When they see the older guys work way harder then them then they know they need to step it up.
Supposedly he was good in working with the kids in Grand Rapids last year. Same situation, came in on a PTO, signed minor league deal then signed with Detroit. Beyond depth they need NHL players in Providence in case a number of the signings don't work out.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Yup. Not a bad dice roll IMO

One end of the line 4th liner and two tweeners at this stage in their careers? That is the definition of "bad" if they are taking down the 4th line minues for the B's. That's the definition of poor asset management and depth planning.

Seriously, what has this place come to?

I "get" the cap crunch and it may very well be that Chiasson is just going to play in the AHL, but if not and some are happy or satisfied with another tweener signing then I think the Don Sweeney special Stockholm Syndrome may be setting in for some of the lifers here...

Reactions: Therick67

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Similar to Stralman last year and other PTO's the Bruins have picked up over the years.

If the kids are good enough, they'll win a spot. If Chiasson shows he still has something to offer, he'll win a spot. It's that simple. Besides, if he does make it and he ends up being awful while a more deserving kid is ripping it up on the minors, I'm sure Chiasson's contract will be so they can easily self correct during the season.
Idk why people are making it out to be any more difficult than this. It has nothing to do with poor asset management, if the kids can’t beat out Alex Chiasson that’s on f***ing them! He’s kid insurance.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
One end of the line 4th liner and two tweeners at this stage in their careers? That is the definition of "bad" if they are taking down the 4th line minues for the B's. That's the definition of poor asset management and depth planning.

I "get" the cap crunch and it may very well be that Chiasson is just going to play in the AHL, but if not and some are happy or satisfied with another tweener signing then I think the Don Sweeney special Stockholm Syndrome may be setting in for some of the lifers here...

It’s a PTO that costs nothing at the moment.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Idk why people are making it out to be any more difficult than this. It has nothing to do with poor asset management, if the kids can’t beat out Alex Chiasson that’s on f***ing them! He’s kid insurance.
I think it's hitting home that the prospects aren't as developed or as good as they have been hyped up on here and the fact that a player like Chaisson walks in and has a possible spot over (pick prospect here) pisses people off.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Who are you referring to? The two tweeners at this stage in their careers? Who is the end of the road fourth liner?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Someone on the main board pointed out that he played with Coyle and Shattenkirk back at BU.

If he's challenging anyone's spot in the lineup I think it'd be JVR. They seem real similar in terms of what they might bring the team.
Problem is that they're playing like they are still at BU.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Seems like a lot of people don’t like the Chiasson PTO because “we’re better than that”.

Guess what? We’re not.

The team is thin, just like we all knew it would be as soon as they made the deadline deals, combined with the retirement of key players and a shallow prospect pool.

How anyone is concerned that any player is going to block any other player this year is beyond me. They’re going to be working the AHL roster at the NHL level more than they have in many years. It’s inevitable.

I understand disappointment with not having blue chip prospects to transition directly in to top line roles. But the team is thin on NHL players period, whatever age they happen to be. If Chiasson can prove he’s worth something relative to what this team currently has, that’s a good thing.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Who are you referring to? The two tweeners at this stage in their careers? Who is the end of the road fourth liner?
Nothing against the guys as people or suggesting they aren't seriously talented athletes... But this in the NHL and Greer is a tweener. Brown is a tweener. Megna is a tweener. Lucic is at the end of the road with maybe one or two more NHL level 4th liner seasons ahead. Chiasson is at the end of the NHL road as well. One could argue that Boquist may be a tweener and this year is a big year for him to show he can grow after flat performances his 4 years in the NHL so far. Heck, JVR loses another half step and he's at the end of the road as well or maybe already off and in the ditch.

I really hope all of them do great and produce if they are on the roster - same with Chiasson if he makes the cut. Maybe it's just the glass half empty thing, but when I read "excitement" about Brown because they now have a good RH faceoff guy, or Chiasson because he can score PP goals but not much else, or Boquist in a possible top 6 role here because he's got speed and smarts yet had not put it together in the 4 years in the NHL, all the while Monty wants to play an up tempo speed and skill based game - it makes my head hurt...

We robbed Peter and now are paying Paul so I get it. Just don't agree with the take on many of these signings as being anything more than stopgaps in the hope some of the yutes mixed in with the traditional "sign the local guy and hope" syndrome can take a spot.

Again, I hope they all hit it out of the park, just I'm not drinking the koolaid as I've seen this type of roster build before.

Reactions: BMC and JayMark

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Good chance he makes the team unless one of the prospects really impresses. By all accounts he is known for good camps and a fast start then seems to track downwards.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
We robbed Peter and now are paying Paul so I get it. Just don't agree with the take on many of these signings as being anything more than stopgaps in the hope some of the yutes mixed in with the traditional "sign the local guy and hope" syndrome can take a spot.

Again, I hope they all hit it out of the park, just I'm not drinking the koolaid as I've seen this type of roster build before.
I'm with you on this- it's a (hopefully) transition roster to the next generation, or at least a roster turnover as contracts expire. I hope these guys do well and exceed expectations, and I think we have a good (not great) team going into the season, but yeah, it's a transition year up front particularly, and the club looks to just be trying to hold the fort.

I do like the Geekie signing a lot, though.Of all the forwards brought in, he feels like one for the future.

Reactions: Gordoff

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Nothing against the guys as people or suggesting they aren't seriously talented athletes... But this in the NHL and Greer is a tweener. Brown is a tweener. Megna is a tweener. Lucic is at the end of the road with maybe one or two more NHL level 4th liner seasons ahead. Chiasson is at the end of the NHL road as well. One could argue that Boquist may be a tweener and this year is a big year for him to show he can grow after flat performances his 4 years in the NHL so far. Heck, JVR loses another half step and he's at the end of the road as well or maybe already off and in the ditch.

I really hope all of them do great and produce if they are on the roster - same with Chiasson if he makes the cut. Maybe it's just the glass half empty thing, but when I read "excitement" about Brown because they now have a good RH faceoff guy, or Chiasson because he can score PP goals but not much else, or Boquist in a possible top 6 role here because he's got speed and smarts yet had not put it together in the 4 years in the NHL, all the while Monty wants to play an up tempo speed and skill based game - it makes my head hurt...

Reason I ask is I'm on board with not liking this offseason. I wanted to go all ??? with some semblance of upside. I wanted... 6 Boqvists (not exactly that, but he's an interesting what-if and there were a ton of those guys on the market).

You responded to me as though I've championed the likes of JVR, Shattenkirk, Brown. I vehemently have not. And honestly, I don't see Megna as any more than AHL fodder so he's not really relevant and Greer wasn't signed THIS offseason and so doesn't enter the conversation for grading this season's roster moves.

My opinion? As a guy on a try-out contract, I see the potential for Chiasson to be a better fit than Greer for the fourth. Natural RW, big body who moves well for his size and has a little touch around the net? That's precisely the kind of build I'd like for the fourth line.

If he shows something in the tryout and pushes Greer down to Providence in a Chris Wagner like role? I think it's a worthwhile zero risk move to try him out. If he sucks, they've committed ZERO in giving him the opportunity. In an offseason without a lot of wins, I think this play is worthwhile.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
We already have JVR to fill this role. Chiasson is just a lesser version.
I figure they are not sure about JVR and if JVR is a bag of crap (like Flyers fans say he is) maybe Chiasson makes the team and JVR rots away in Providence. If JVR is decent Chiasson gets cut or plays in Providence and comes up if JVR is injured or craps out later. I don't see the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad