Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Any chance Hughes could sign Guhle to a 6 x year 4.9M deal, similar to Vlasic? I would strike while the iron is hot.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Why? Obviously his agent would tell him to wait. But if i am Hughes, Guhle is pretty much a sure thing. The injuries will be a thing of the past once Guhle gets stronger and more experienced.
I think he’s our most overrated prospect/player tbh. He’s hurt all the time and still has to prove a lot before locking him up to 6 years. I don’t think he’s the type of player to command a huge salary (limited offense), so I’m fine waiting to see if these injuries become a thing of the past and if he can elevate his game.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think he’s our most overrated prospect/player tbh. He’s hurt all the time and still has to prove a lot before locking him up to 6 years. I don’t think he’s the type of player to command a huge salary (limited offense), so I’m fine waiting to see if these injuries become a thing of the past and if he can elevate his game.
While I see loads of potential I am still not sold. Seems weak and brittle.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
While I see loads of potential I am still not sold. Seems weak and brittle.

He is neither weak nor brittle relative to the average player but he does need to get stronger to be more effective and he needs to alter his play style as he just accepts an enormous amount of punishment that would cause almost any player to consistently find the IR. If he was brittle he would be injured almost every game as the beating that he takes game in and game out yet almost always bounces back feels like borderline self inflicted sadism.

I think he just needs to gain a little more mass along with a bump in overall strength and he will be great but he absolutely will need to alter his approach and use his feet a lot more than he currently does. He is emulating David Savard's defensive approach of blocking a ton of shots and using his body to accept contact while protecting the puck. Savard is built like a pre-hibernation bear and can withstand a lot more punishment. Guhle should be modelling his game after Jacob Slavin who is built almost identically to himself but blocks fewer shots and uses his skating to move the puck and avoid contact. Slavin also plays in a man vs man defence so Kaiden should really be watching a ton of video on him while hitting the gym and packing on some bulk.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He is neither weak nor brittle relative to the average player but he does need to get stronger to be more effective and he needs to alter his play style as he just accepts an enormous amount of punishment that would cause almost any player to consistently find the IR. If he was brittle he would be injured almost every game as the beating that he takes game in and game out yet almost always bounces back feels like borderline self inflicted sadism.

I think he just needs to gain a little more mass along with a bump in overall strength and he will be great but he absolutely will need to alter his approach and use his feet a lot more than he currently does. He is emulating David Savard's defensive approach of blocking a ton of shots and using his body to accept contact while protecting the puck. Savard is built like a pre-hibernation bear and can withstand a lot more punishment. Guhle should be modelling his game after Jacob Slavin who is built almost identically to himself but blocks fewer shots and uses his skating to move the puck and avoid contact. Slavin also plays in a man vs man defence so Kaiden should really be watching a ton of video on him while hitting the gym and packing on some bulk.
If Guhle can become as sturdy as Slavin I think he will be a huge piece of the puzzle. I was watching Slavin closely and he looks a bit thicker and stronger than Guhle. Guhle will fill out

Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's hilarious that this thread is one of the most negative of all the threads on this board. Crazy how bad the average fan is at evaluating a player.
Lol give it up man, you were wrong about Harris being better than him, just enjoy him. He's not overrated and he's sure as shit ain't a prospect anymore. He played the 2nd most games of all Habs D this year. His offense isn't limited, it's only limited by his usage.
Sorry but Sanderson is a cut above.
No he's not. Kaiden has outproduced him both seasons they've been in the NHL so far. The only difference is PP time, something Guhle is not given. You can't just look at a DB page and form opinions.

One has 30 points in 156 games at 5v5, while the other has 36 points at 5v5 in 114 games. If Guhle played as many games, he would have 20 more points than Sanderson.

Then there's the fact Sanderson is a little softie and Guhle is an animal. Guhle has more hits this year than Sanderson has in his career. Guhle is also much better defensively.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It's hilarious that this thread is one of the most negative of all the threads on this board. Crazy how bad the average fan is at evaluating a player.

Lol give it up man, you were wrong about Harris being better than him, just enjoy him. He's not overrated and he's sure as shit ain't a prospect anymore. He played the 2nd most games of all Habs D this year. His offense isn't limited, it's only limited by his usage.

No he's not. Kaiden has outproduced him both seasons they've been in the NHL so far. The only difference is PP time, something Guhle is not given. You can't just look at a DB page and form opinions.

One has 30 points in 156 games at 5v5, while the other has 36 points at 5v5 in 114 games. If Guhle played as many games, he would have 20 more points than Sanderson.

Then there's the fact Sanderson is a little softie and Guhle is an animal. Guhle has more hits this year than Sanderson has in his career. Guhle is also much better defensively.
don't even bother. this fool has been hating on guhle for years and will never stop. If one day Guhle is a huge reason why habs are a great team, he'd still nit pick him to death. And the Harris take was so bad. I called him out as soon as he made it a few years ago

i've been a fan of guhle's game since his D+1 year and have pointed out continously even when he was at the World Juniors when people were saying the same things why they were wrong, he was elite defensively, and will be super effective t the nhl. they never learn, they made up their minds a while ago

Reactions: habdynasty

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

You are wrong on nearly every evaluation you make. I don’t expect that to change here.

Reactions: MasterD

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
don't even bother. this fool has been hating on guhle for years and will never stop. If one day Guhle is a huge reason why habs are a great team, he'd still nit pick him to death. And the Harris take was so bad. I called him out as soon as he made it a few years ago

i've been a fan of guhle's game since his D+1 year and have pointed out continously even when he was at the World Juniors when people were saying the same things why they were wrong, he was elite defensively, and will be super effective t the nhl. they never learn, they made up their minds a while ago
Elite defensively lol, yeah ok. I haven’t been hating on him. I just don’t think he’s that great of a prospect. Every team has a player of this calibre. If he’s your number 1 or 2 dman you are cooked. That’s a fact.

I mean Mr wrong take said he was combination of Subban, Markov and Weber lmao. Sure he is.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Elite defensively lol, yeah ok. I haven’t been hating on him. I just don’t think he’s that great of a prospect. Every team has a player of this calibre. If he’s your number 1 or 2 dman you are cooked. That’s a fact.

I mean Mr wrong take said he was combination of Subban, Markov and Weber lmao. Sure he is.
Since he's entered the league, he's recieved amongst the toughest matchups for a D man. Just look what happened when he got hurt vs tampa. The seven games prior habs averaged a gaa of 2.28. The next seven against worse competition collectively, they averaged a gaa of 4.28. If you don't see the importance of Guhle, I dont know what to tell you, maybe start watching another sport cause your takes on this one are legit dog water.

Last edited:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Yeah we definitely missed him after he got hurt. I'd say he's our best overall D. I also think he has deserved more PP time compared to some others and would have produced more with it.

His injuries are a concern, but he talked about bulking up at the end of the season so maybe he's getting it.

Maybe the thing I like least about Guhle is he can sometimes be a little passive. There's not enough assertiveness in his game both physically and when carrying the puck.

It depends on what Guhle wants, but I think I'd only take the risk on a long term extension of he's willing to sign around the number Vlasic did, maybe a little north.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah we definitely missed him after he got hurt. I'd say he's our best overall D. I also think he has deserved more PP time compared to some others and would have produced more with it.

His injuries are a concern, but he talked about bulking up at the end of the season so maybe he's getting it.

Maybe the thing I like least about Guhle is he can sometimes be a little passive. There's not enough assertiveness in his game both physically and when carrying the puck.

It depends on what Guhle wants, but I think I'd only take the risk on a long term extension of he's willing to sign around the number Vlasic did, maybe a little north.
He does suffer from an assertiveness problem. He'd probably be a very strong 1D and produce 50+ yearly if he had more jump in his game. Its a playstyle thing and he chooses to be more of a reactive player, which works too. He's in a similar mold to Heiskanen.

Their stats are actually pretty comparable, when you take into account Pp time. I don't think Guhle will ever get 70+ though, thats crazy. Especially not with the poor talent we have in Montreal, lol. 44 in 150 and 35 in 114 at 5v5. He'd actually pace for one more point over 150 games at 5v5.

Im really uncertain why they are so against giving him PP time.

Reactions: Canadienna

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Since he's entered the league, he's recieved amongst the toughest matchups for a D man. Just look what happened when he got hurt vs tampa. The seven games prior habs averaged a gaa of 2.28. The next seven against worse competition collectively, they averaged a gaa of 4.28. If you don't see the importance of Guhle, I dont know what to tell you, maybe start watching another sport cause your takes on this one are legit dog water.
If you don’t understand that these numbers ebb and flow throughout the year then I don’t know what to tell you.

Tell me you’re not trying to suggest Guhle was responsible for a 2 GA differential haha. This isn’t what you are suggesting I hope.

Guhle is a fine dman, he’s not a one or two imo and he won’t ever be. Maybe you should take a course in statistics, you could use it.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
If you don’t understand that these numbers ebb and flow throughout the year then I don’t know what to tell you.

Tell me you’re not trying to suggest Guhle was responsible for a 2 GA differential haha. This isn’t what you are suggesting I hope.

Guhle is a fine dman, he’s not a one or two imo and he won’t ever be. Maybe you should take a course in statistics, you could use it.
this was not a representation of guhle's impact but a microcosm of the habs without him. Again I can't take anything you say seriously because your analysis of players have already been proven objectively terrible. You weren't able to see Guhle's effectiveness defensively at the world juniors and you still don't. And you probably treat him and his development as stationary. Everyone gets better and if he's already being designated one of the hardest matchups in the league as an undeveloped nhl player not even 23, what do you think he'll be doing at 25? Its the same as when people told me in 2021 that suzuki would be a high end 3c/low end 2c because they didnt project growth.

What I do believe is Guhle is an elite defensive player and noticably changes outcomes of games. Every analyst Ive ever heard have raved about the kid but some dude who was wrong about him the entire time suddenly has the correct stance on him. Gimme a break. I just cant take you seriously on this subject. You are completely compromised by your previous biases

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Guhle is one of the prospects that has established himself as an nhler. Not all these hotshot prospects are going to realize their potential.

You hang on to the ones that you know are nhlers like guhle, both because they have miles to give, and their costs are controlled to a degree.
Yes I never said for prospects. Rebuild is over for the most part

b

Not an awful person no, but an awful talent evaluator.
So you wouldn’t trade him for an established 40 goal scorer? That’s what I’m saying. I never said he was bad. This team literally can’t score

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad