Boston Bruins Bruins sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
This ^

Guys like JvR & Chiasson are fighting for their professional lives & won't go down without a fight.

You want a roster spot kid? Go out there and earn it.
I'm with you on "fight for a roster spot" but idk if JVR will fight for his life. He certainly didn't do it last year.
I'd ponder why not a single GM picked up JVR at the trade deadline last year. Philly couldn't give him away.
I'd be quite happy if neither JVR or Chiasson made the cut, but the reality is our prospect pool is pretty crap too. Let 'em all fight it out and see what happens.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Reason I ask is I'm on board with not liking this offseason. I wanted to go all ??? with some semblance of upside. I wanted... 6 Boqvists (not exactly that, but he's an interesting what-if and there were a ton of those guys on the market).

You responded to me as though I've championed the likes of JVR, Shattenkirk, Brown. I vehemently have not. And honestly, I don't see Megna as any more than AHL fodder so he's not really relevant and Greer wasn't signed THIS offseason and so doesn't enter the conversation for grading this season's roster moves.

My opinion? As a guy on a try-out contract, I see the potential for Chiasson to be a better fit than Greer for the fourth. Natural RW, big body who moves well for his size and has a little touch around the net? That's precisely the kind of build I'd like for the fourth line.

If he shows something in the tryout and pushes Greer down to Providence in a Chris Wagner like role? I think it's a worthwhile zero risk move to try him out. If he sucks, they've committed ZERO in giving him the opportunity. In an offseason without a lot of wins, I think this play is worthwhile.
Hey MMB. I didn't / don't mean to focus on your response or position specifically, just responding generally to the overall positions some have taken on the different signings.

There is a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going around these days and some of the "pumping of the tires" as per the illustrious TT:Luongo exchange would be an appropriate moniker. Didn't mean it for you or anyone specifically, just it's reminiscent of the MOC and early Chia years where people were hot on Reich, Reasoner, Mowers, Nokelainen, Schaefer, Yelle, Sobotka, Whitfield, etc, etc. and it proved out to be a losing proposition on the ice and when the games mattered....

New England and even moreso Boston is a "tell it to me as it is" type area and I find the blown smoke doubly intoxicating as it smells of smoke and **** given where they are trying to pump it....

Anyhow, we will know soon enough once they hit the ice. (And I do hope all that make it have career years in the spoked B and I'm wrong as team/franchise success first).

Reactions: Gordoff

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
the bruins team keep getting slower and slower.
someone needs to let Sweeney know , the game is about team speed in today's NHL.
These players he has signed, lucic, JVR, chiasson, shattenkirk, geekie, all can't keep up
with the pace of the NHL game.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
someone needs to let Sweeney know , the game is about team speed in today's NHL.
These players he has signed, lucic, JVR, chiasson, shattenkirk, geekie, all can't keep up

Geekie and Shattenkirk aren't slow. Chiasson also isn't on the team yet. Do people know what a PTO is? :laugh:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

You can win in a variety of ways.

Fantasy drafting the fastest team possible wins you plenty of video games but it doesn’t mean much if you’re missing other factors in reality. Plenty of “fast” teams flame out when the game tightens up down the stretch.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Fantasy drafting the fastest team possible wins you plenty of video games but it doesn’t mean much if you’re missing other factors in reality. Plenty of “fast” teams flame out when the game tightens up down the stretch.

Random, but I kinda wish the NHL would set parameters for rink size. From like X-Y

X = Smallest
Y = Biggest

and you set your ice sheet size and build your team around it. Bigger teams may prefer a smaller sized sheet. Faster teams may want bigger? You set it for the beginning of the season and thats it.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Random, but I kinda wish the NHL would set parameters for rink size. From like X-Y

X = Smallest
Y = Biggest

and you set your ice sheet size and build your team around it. Bigger teams may prefer a smaller sized sheet. Faster teams may want bigger? You set it for the beginning of the season and thats it.

Yeah different rink sizes is an idea I’ve certainly pondered before. It definitely gave a unique feel to Boston Garden, which I believe had a smaller ice surface than any other rink.

Seemed like baseball was going toward uniformity and symmetry in the 70s with the proliferation of dual use baseball and football stadiums, a trend that continued until the 90s. I think it’s smart that newer stadiums insert their own little quirks. Last I checked no one complained that Fenway Park wasn’t a fun place to play or watch the game because the outfield is different than anywhere else.

Now I understand this kind of idea looks different in a game like hockey versus baseball. It also is challenged by the inherent multi use nature of NHL arenas.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

At this point the league at least the playoff teams that are successful aren’t all about speed anyways. Speeds great but size and the ability to use that size is just as important. If you don’t have the size then strength and the willingness and ability to win puck battles is right there as well.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Chiasson is pretty speedy. So is geekie.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe:

NHL training camps are getting ready to open, the new season is only some six weeks away, and that means Alex Chiasson is betting again, with both hands and both feet. No one in the NHL beats the house odds as consistently as this guy when it comes to wagering on himself.

Chiasson, 32, agreed to report to Bruins camp Sept. 20 on a professional tryout agreement, promised nothing but some space to pull on his skates at the club’s Brighton workout facility and a chance to catch the eye of coach Jim Montgomery.

Chiasson knows the auditioning drill better than anyone. A veteran of 651 NHL games, this will be the fifth time Chiasson has reported to an NHL training camp on a PTO. He landed a job the first three times, first with Washington (2017), then Edmonton (’18), and next in Vancouver (’21). Last September, after not securing a job with the Coyotes, he ultimately landed a late-season spot on Detroit’s NHL roster after a protracted tuneup with the Red Wings’ AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids, Mich.

“I took my hockey bag, a backpack and suitcase,” said Chiasson, recalling his job-seeking journey last season that finally brought him to Detroit, where he cobbled together a respectable 6-3—9 line in 20 games, “and I lived out of a hotel room in Grand Rapids for almost three months. It was a good end of the year there, and I was hopeful things would work out, but the business end of things … it can be a tough business.”

Ever a realist, and a successful one when sizing up opportunity, Chiasson said he received “a fair number” of PTO offers this summer, but ultimately chose the Bruins because: 1. Offseason roster moves created some potential openings for a veteran right winger with his skills; 2. His desire to play for a Cup contender.

“So here I am,” said Chiasson, who played at Boston University, a three-year tour (2009-12) prior turning pro with Dallas. “I have to fight again to prove that I can play and help a team out. I felt from all the options I had, Boston was the best spot, and I’m excited to be here.”

It’s ostensibly a homecoming for Chiasson, who decided with wife Riley in the spring to make Boston their permanent offseason home, moving here some three months before the Bruins offered the PTO.

Chiasson, who grew up outside of Quebec City, felt compelled to make the move back to the Hub largely in part because of his BU days. Upon leaving Comm. Ave in the spring of 2012, he stood six courses short of completing his degree in economics. Now living just a few miles west of the campus, he said he fully intends to tidy up the course work, the majority of which has to be taken in classrooms rather than online.

In the immediate, though, he hopes to stay gainfully employed some seven miles east of the BU campus, with a Bruins hard hat on his head. The mortarboard cap can wait.

For all his years in the league, Chiasson’s best fit came during his three seasons in Edmonton, where he landed his initial roster spot with his PTO and then knocked home 22 goals in his first year, riding with evolving superstars Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl.

“I’m sure that helped,” said Chiasson, chucking over the good fortune of being on that line. “Yeah, I had 22, and to be completely honest, I probably should have had over 30, easily. I think I was at the right spot at the right time, and had just won a Cup with Washington (2018), felt comfortable, and Edmonton was an up-and-coming team. The staff was expecting some kind of leadership out of me. Really a great group. I enjoyed it there, and obviously, they’ve gone on, evolved, and they’re fighting for a Cup every year now.”

Over his three years in Alberta, the 6-foot-4-inch, 208-pound Chiasson played up and down the order, often in the top six, sometimes in the top nine, called on frequently for power-play duty.

“I was put in a lot of different positions,” he said. “My role has kind of changed … as you age and stuff. But I know what I can do. I think I’ve shown that I can play throughout the lineup. I can be a fourth-line guy. I can play on the first power play. I can play in the top six when guys are injured.

“Now it’s on me to show up in camp and show them what I can do. I’ve obviously played in the league for a while. But at the same time, you’ve got to go, you have to battle, you have to earn it, and that’s the way it’s been throughout my career.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad