Boston Bruins Bruins sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
What’s the line between “letting a young guy fail and ruining him” and “letting a young guy fail for his own good”?

It’s a PTO. There’s no commitment.

Given how thin the roster is shaping up to be, I’m not at all concerned about deserving young players getting blocked. Guys are going to be getting experience at the NHL level, Chiasson or no Chiasson.

You mean the guy who gets beat up by everyone he fights other than his girlfriend?
Look, I'm not going to die on this hill as this signing gives me little feeling either way, but I'm not saying play Beecher/McLaughlin until you ruin their confidence.

However, they are guys who likely break in on the 4th line, I'd much prefer to give them a bit of a tryout and see what they have got rather than Chiasson taking that spot. If he earns it over them it is what it is.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
"let the kids play"

If they can't best Chiasson, on a PTO, out for a spot on the roster, they don't belong anyways.
Problem is it's never that simple. Not saying Montgomery will, but some coaches will always go with the perceived more reliable option (vet) over the young kid with promise

Reactions: Kegs and Gordoff

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Problem is it's never that simple. Not saying Montgomery will, but some coaches will always go with the perceived more reliable option (vet) over the young kid with promise

I think fans also have a strong bias to clamor for young players, regardless of whether or not they deserve it and/or are ready.

There isn’t a fanbase in this league that doesn’t have a portion of their fans adamant that young players are being blocked in favor of veterans.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Please stick to the Beechers and the Merks that you’re used to….

I know that you're gonna have a Geekie or nothing at all
But I think that Boqvist is fast…

Ah c’mon…
85886_tlc-waterfalls-youtube.jpeg_5c2db80b-684a-447a-ab82-71a405cb83d3.jpeg

Reactions: BMC and HumBucker

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Interesting that both he & JvR are guys who hang around the net for scoring instead of hanging around the perimeter. Personally I love it, I'm fed up to the teeth with just about everyone standing around 15-20 away firing weak wristers or the occasional one timer. :eyeroll:
A way to create offense when you lose three great offensive weapons in Bergeron, Hall and Krejci is jam the net and look for screened goals and rebounds. Lucic, Chiasson and JVR are all good at this, you now may have one of these three on three of your lines.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, not a bad PTO at all. Chiasson is a decent player with some skill and is in his early 30s. Has some size, which is nice. Just never know if a guy can find a second wind in a new system with different players. It hurts absolutely nothing if he doesn't work out. Could be a good depth move if it does work out. I'm leaning towards he will stick around as depth. Good move by the Bs given the circumstances.
Some extra insurance if none of the young prospects seize the moment in training camp.

Reactions: HustleB

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
This guy's a dickhead , the kind you like when they're on your team not so much to play against. The FO seems to be obsessed with size all of a sudden .

It's a PTO which says that management is not fully confident he still has game.

Just one more obstacle for the prospects to overcome.
Doesn't inspire much self-confidence in their youth talent pool...always patching.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm all for earning a spot, but I don't like this thinking because rather than putting Chiasson in for 40 games when you already know what he is I would rather give a guy on the cusp like McLaughlin, Beecher, Merkulov etc those games to allow them to develop in the NHL.

There are always Chiasson type players available come deadline for dirt cheap if the prospects can't handle the big leagues.

They likely cut him, but I always worry that Sweeney will keep the vet
They've had plenty of guys on PTOs past few years and outside of Stralman, signed none of them

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He's fast (or was), little bit dirty and has a good shot. Plays in the dirty areas. If the maybe B's want to play they need to realize they have to play a game similar, go to the net, don't take shifts off and work. Even if he doesn't get signed he may embarrass one of their "highly touted" prospects who isn't working as hard. He has always been a hard working vet.

No harm, no foul and on a line with Beecher and Lucic he could be a decent add. Would prefer Austin Watson as a PTO but whatever.

It’s a good take but your delivery and hate towards prospects always makes me laugh.

If Boston wants to get grittier and play a style that calls for grinding goals, being hard to play against, then this PTO makes some sense.

He also is competition for young players. If they beat him out he’s going to Providence or going elsewhere. Also, don’t leave out a 13th forward spot. I’d rather have a Chiasson sitting and playing sparingly than a young player who could benefit from ice time.

It’s going to be an interesting camp. I will miss Bergeron dearly, but it was coming and it’s here. Let’s see how it goes lol

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Meh, let the kids play

They will. Don't worry.

Finally, sans log jam, we're going to find out a great deal about our prospects. It's going to be fascinating.

The vets are there to provide insurance and to push the kids. They're all one year, no harm/no foul contracts.

The only way they play is if the kids can't.

Interesting to see he had 6 goals and 3 helpers in just 20 games playing in Detroit last year.

Steve Chiasson has a lot to offer.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
They will. Don't worry.

Finally, sans log jam, we're going to find out a great deal about our prospects. It's going to be fascinating.

The vets are there to provide insurance and to push the kids. They're all one year, no harm/no foul contracts.

The only way they play is if the kids can't.
Bloodbath between the kids and the vets. Going to be fun to watch!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
One thing is clear is that Sweeney is trying to get bigger up front.

Wait a minute. Let me check outside to see if hell hasn't frozen over.

Hang on...

Yep. A new Ice Age. Game on!

This ^

Guys like JvR & Chiasson are fighting for their professional lives & won't go down without a fight.

You want a roster spot kid? Go out there and earn it.

That's a large part of it. And I like it.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Right shot depth good size and hands who can play with talent, local, good off ice

What you do

If they can beat him out then he’s gone
I mean keep him around like we did with Stralman. The 5th option from Providence in case we have a rash of injuries. I’d rather play a vet 13th man than a kid who isn’t ready. Make the kids earn but don’t block them.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad