Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Reactions: Blowfish

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
"let the kids play"

If they can't best Chiasson, on a PTO, out for a spot on the roster, they don't belong anyways.
I'm all for earning a spot, but I don't like this thinking because rather than putting Chiasson in for 40 games when you already know what he is I would rather give a guy on the cusp like McLaughlin, Beecher, Merkulov etc those games to allow them to develop in the NHL.

There are always Chiasson type players available come deadline for dirt cheap if the prospects can't handle the big leagues.

They likely cut him, but I always worry that Sweeney will keep the vet

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
PTO’s get cut all the time. Sometimes they get signed and still then don’t play.

They can sign PJ Axelsson to a PTO for all I care.

I'm all for earning a spot, but I don't like this thinking because rather than putting Chiasson in for 40 games when you already know what he is I would rather give a guy on the cusp like McLaughlin, Beecher, Merkulov etc those games to allow them to develop in the NHL.

There are always Chiasson type players available come deadline for dirt cheap if the prospects can't handle the big leagues.

From “signed a PTO” to “putting Chiasson in for 40 games”

Bruins signed two guys to PTO’s last year. One got cut and the other played 8 games. Even with a lesser roster, I wouldn’t jump the gun on Chiasson even signing much less playing in games.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
PTO’s get cut all the time. Sometimes they get signed and still then don’t play.

They can sign PJ Axelsson to a PTO for all I care.

From “signed a PTO” to “putting Chiasson in for 40 games”

Bruins signed two guys to PTO’s last year. One got cut and the other played 8 games. Even with a lesser roster, I wouldn’t jump the gun on Chiasson even signing much less playing in games.
It can be 2 games, 10 games, 20 games or 40, but I stand by what I said - I'd rather try the young guy there and give him some experience then go out and find a vet if they fail rather than signing Chiasson first...if he earns the spot.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this PTO but that's how I'd prefer it.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He's fast (or was), little bit dirty and has a good shot. Plays in the dirty areas. If the maybe B's want to play they need to realize they have to play a game similar, go to the net, don't take shifts off and work. Even if he doesn't get signed he may embarrass one of their "highly touted" prospects who isn't working as hard. He has always been a hard working vet.

No harm, no foul and on a line with Beecher and Lucic he could be a decent add. Would prefer Austin Watson as a PTO but whatever.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It can be 2 games, 10 games, 20 games or 40, but I stand by what I said - I'd rather try the young guy there and give him some experience then go out and find a vet if they fail rather than signing Chiasson first...if he earns the spot.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this PTO but that's how I'd prefer it.

What’s the line between “letting a young guy fail and ruining him” and “letting a young guy fail for his own good”?

It’s a PTO. There’s no commitment.

Given how thin the roster is shaping up to be, I’m not at all concerned about deserving young players getting blocked. Guys are going to be getting experience at the NHL level, Chiasson or no Chiasson.

He's fast (or was), little bit dirty and has a good shot. Plays in the dirty areas. If the maybe B's want to play they need to realize they have to play a game similar, go to the net, don't take shifts off and work. Even if he doesn't get signed he may embarrass one of their "highly touted" prospects who isn't working as hard. He has always been a hard working vet.

No harm, no foul and on a line with Beecher and Lucic he could be a decent add. Would prefer Austin Watson as a PTO but whatever.

You mean the guy who gets beat up by everyone he fights other than his girlfriend?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
There’s really nothing to be even mildly upset about here

Either he plays reasonably well and makes the team or he doesn’t and is cut

Surprisingly decent counting stats last year in his stint with the wings
Yeah, not a bad PTO at all. Chiasson is a decent player with some skill and is in his early 30s. Has some size, which is nice. Just never know if a guy can find a second wind in a new system with different players. It hurts absolutely nothing if he doesn't work out. Could be a good depth move if it does work out. I'm leaning towards he will stick around as depth. Good move by the Bs given the circumstances.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What’s the line between “letting a young guy fail and ruining him” and “letting a young guy fail for his own good”?

It’s a PTO. There’s no commitment.

Given how thin the roster is shaping up to be, I’m not at all concerned about deserving young players getting blocked. Guys are going to be getting experience at the NHL level, Chiasson or no Chiasson.

You mean the guy who gets beat up by everyone he fights other than his girlfriend?
That's him. If you know where the young, cloned Bob Probert is please let me know.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Interesting that both he & JvR are guys who hang around the net for scoring instead of hanging around the perimeter. Personally I love it, I'm fed up to the teeth with just about everyone standing around 15-20 away firing weak wristers or the occasional one timer. :eyeroll:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not a fan of Pronman but I feel his ratings and analysis is spot on regarding the Bruins prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad