Post-Game Talk: Bruins shut out 2-0 by Colorado

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That is why I would like to see

Lucic - Krejci - Louie
Mashy - Bergy - Iggy

I like putting a power foward on both of the top two lines instead of putting both on the top line. Spread it out so every line has someone that hits (lucic/Iggy), someone with a great D game (Bergy/Louie) and someone that can create (Krejci/Marchand - create in different ways)

edit - however I would give them a little more time to gel before changing it up since we are three games in.

Those lines were exactly what I was thinking about last night. I would really like to see it happen, but I highly doubt Julien does anything. He's not a guy who tinkers, and he usually let's things go too long, almost to a fault. If anything, I think Iginla would benefit greatly from not playing with Lucic. I've seen him trying to feed off Lucic's energy and hits this year by doing the same, and at his age and where he's at in his career, I'd rather not see him taking himself out of position to attempt a big hit. Lucic's hits are there to create space and time for his line mates, and Iginla jumping in to throw a hit doesn't take advantage of said space.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I agree and that Krejci move was bad. Not what I like to see from the Bruins.

Still think diving should be a double minor.

That's not a bad idea at all. The downside I see to that would be that I bet it gets called even less than it is now. If they would just start calling ONLY the dives more often (not always, but at least when it's warranted) then we wouldn't even need to consider making it a double.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I don't think it's ever ok. Snapping your head back quickly when you take a stick to the face is instinct, you can't stop that. Helping along a legitimate hooking call by leaping into a 360 that Tanya Harding would be proud of is a joke, and that's exactly what Krejci did last night.

EDIT: What happened to skating THROUGH contact to make a play? If you get tripped then you get tripped, but falling just for the heck of it is a disgrace.

--
I totally agree with you. That why my conclusion is embellishment is also now a way to equalize a situation. I also think referee uses that part of their code thru players reputation.

I also think that embellishment protects the game with those trying to draw penalties. Downie was a good example yesterday. BUT I am not sure Chara seserved a penalty on that play!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
--
I totally agree with you. That why my conclusion is embellishment is also now a way to equalize a situation. I also think referee uses that part of their code thru players reputation.

I also think that embellishment protects the game with those trying to draw penalties. Downie was a good example yesterday. BUT I am not sure Chara seserved a penalty on that play!

Oh ok I read you now. You're saying that the penalty itself is a good thing, not that the act of embellishment is necessary. Sorry about that. We're on the same page here.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I thought the replay showed his skate got kicked and he put a hand down on the ice. I thought it was a bad call. Krecji on the other hand did a full spin that looked much worse to me.

Krejci's was bad, but the timing of it worked to his advantage. There was no way they were going to call a second embellishment penalty that close to Loui's. Even if Loui's skates got tangled, he went down very easily. At first viewing, in full speed, it looked like a dive. Seeing it in slow motion gave you a reason to question the call, but referees don't have that luxury.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
That is why I would like to see

Lucic - Krejci - Louie
Mashy - Bergy - Iggy

I like putting a power foward on both of the top two lines instead of putting both on the top line. Spread it out so every line has someone that hits (lucic/Iggy), someone with a great D game (Bergy/Louie) and someone that can create (Krejci/Marchand - create in different ways)

edit - however I would give them a little more time to gel before changing it up since we are three games in.

----
If Bergy did not have time to recover during summer like some say, he needs more space, and toughness along the boards. He needs physicality with him.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I think the B's looked great. Giggy was just an absolute monster.

Looch had a rough game. Krejci was awesome, Iggy was alright.

The whole 2nd line was just "alright" with Eriksson looking a little questionable still.

No problems with the 3rd, looked great. Same with the fourth.

Everyone on the D looked pretty solid too in my eyes.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
That's not a bad idea at all. The downside I see to that would be that I bet it gets called even less than it is now. If they would just start calling ONLY the dives more often (not always, but at least when it's warranted) then we wouldn't even need to consider making it a double.

I don't think they will ever call a dive without calling something else that is why I would like it to be a double minor to make the diving team pay a price. Right now worst case when a player dives is their team has to play 4 on 4 which is not a price at all.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Listening to everybody complain about Marchand, and I agree he has been pretty bad, one thing people need to realize is this is what happens when you take a player who plays with an edge (or the always popular sometimes over) and keep screaming discipline at him. Julien has castrated Marchend and now he has to figure out how to take a guy that was starting to look like a Dale Hunter lite type player and reshape him before he ruins his career.

Julien has done a huge disservice to Marchand and he can't complain about his play because he made him what he is, a softish third liner in training.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
----
If Bergy did not have time to recover during summer like some say, he needs more space, and toughness along the boards. He needs physicality with him.

which is why I want Iggy there.

Perfect world I would like to see Lucic and Marshy on the same line but they both play LW. Imagin what marchand can say and do to the other team and get away with by having Lucic on the ice with him.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Krejci's was bad, but the timing of it worked to his advantage. There was no way they were going to call a second embellishment penalty that close to Loui's. Even if Loui's skates got tangled, he went down very easily. At first viewing, in full speed, it looked like a dive. Seeing it in slow motion gave you a reason to question the call, but referees don't have that luxury.

They don't and that's why they need to sure. He tried to put his hand down and didn't even go all the way to the ice. I thought it was a bad call before I saw the replay.

Krecji's made me cringe.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Listening to everybody complain about Marchand, and I agree he has been pretty bad, one thing people need to realize is this is what happens when you take a player who plays with an edge (or the always popular sometimes over) and keep screaming discipline at him. Julien has castrated Marchend and now he has to figure out how to take a guy that was starting to look like a Dale Hunter lite type player and reshape him before he ruins his career.

Julien has done a huge disservice to Marchand and he can't complain about his play because he made him what he is, a softish third liner in training.

What are you talking about?? Are you saying that Julien has instructed BM to abandon the pest side of his game? If you are, I can`t disagree more. I think anyone here who has watched BM play since game 1 can agree, there has been more than a few times where it was absolutely necessary for CJ or whomever to pull him aside and reign in his emotions from time to time.

You can absolutely play on the edge but with discipline, I`m sorry, Julien has done no disservice to Marchand, he does it to himself from time to time.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Just wanted to stop by and say, damn I love Lucic. Landeskog was smart not to fight him, and even said on twitter Lucic is too much for him. It pissed me off last night when he was engaged with Landy, but that was because the fact the Avs had only guy who wouldn't get his teeth punched in (Bordeleau), and obviously that fight wasn't going to happen due to Bordy being a 4th liner who barely sees the ice. I love how everyone fears him and he can still pot 30 goals. Guy is just such a rare breed. He literally seems like a one of kind player in the league. You guys are lucky to have a player like him.

Anyways, best of luck the rest of the way.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I thought Iggy looked good. I liked our puck movement during stretches of the man advantage. Unsurprisingly :)naughty:), JC looked good. Krug continues to impress me. Eriksson had some nice shifts out there, but he needs to put together a full effort. Dougie had some nice speed out there.

Giguere looked really good, and Colorado is a perennial playoff team in the making, so I wouldn't look at last night as too much of a disappointment. 79 games to go!

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
PP overall was looking good except for the 4-3 everyones mentioned. Bruins were so obvious with what they were doing and how they were passing. I.E staring at the guy for 2 seconds who they were about to pass the puck to..

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I thought the B's played fine. The Avs were definitely better in the first but the Bruins adjusted and were better in the rest of the game.

No puck luck and a hot goalie performance. Tuukka was great and had no chance on that PP goal. There are bound to be more games like this. People need to relax. It was the 3rd game of the season.

Maybe Marchand is still hurting from the hit on Saturday.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
So upon reading the comments in the Post Game Thread, apparently this game was pretty poorly played. If I hadn't watched the game myself that's my takeaway.

Fortunately, though, I did watch the game and know that's not the case.

Two 3-0 teams meet, both with great goaltending and a good back-and-forth tempo, lots of good plays...I don't know. I guess I thought it was actually a pretty good, balanced game. The game was really a 1-0 loss indicating just how close the game truly was. Yeah, yeah, there was an empty net goal. BFD! All of the Bruins' lines played well. There were plenty of scoring opportunities on both sides. Giguere was outstanding and came up huge for the Avs. Rask had traffic in front of him and apparently a few tips on the goal. It happens. There was lots of pregame discussion on just how good the Avs were looking so the intensity and outcome really shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. It was a very close game.

I think a lot of you are too overly critical and way too quick to cast aspersion on the players/team. Too much off base post-game analysis. Too much "my favorite player wasn't there and he would have made a difference."

There is nothing really wrong with the lines or the D pairings except in the eyes of those who are fanboys of certain players. There was plenty of speed, plenty of creativity, plenty of opportunities. And a handful of mistakes. That's because they aren't robots, they were playing a pretty good team, and it's still early in the season.

If anyone caught the pre-game Chia indicated that Bart was going to get a chance to play. His thoughts are more around not just platooning the rooks but in having all the D challenged. You could see McQuaid sit; you could see Hamilton sit; you could see Boychuck or Seids sit. My guess is probably not Chara (duh!) and likely not Krug unless he slams into some kind of wall.

Plenty of time to get players in, and to get others up-to-speed with their new linemates.

Sorry, but from where I sat I thought it was a pretty good game with a disappointing outcome. That's all. :dunno:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I was not surprised Roy decided to play the veteran French goalie vs the B`s. Must have meant something to him to play in Boston again.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I forgot that hockey season meant sheer lunacy around here hahaha.

Marchand "a softish, 3rd line type." After a game 3 of 82 loss. Classic.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004

The cameras might not have picked it up but Marchand and Downie were at each others throats after nearly every whistle they were both out there for last night.

LucicIsABeast

Dec 7, 2008
Lville IL

Didn't Loui simply fall to 1 knee though? It was like he was sprawled out on the ice. I personally like the idea of letting them play (As in, no penalties needed on that play).

As for the game, I have to agree with ReggieMoto. While i was stuck at work, I found a stream online of the game (Thank you work for dropping all barriers and giving me a third screen), and from what I saw, the bruins looked good from the first intermission onwards. They had their defensive breakdowns occasionally but thats why you pay Tuukka. As others have said, onto Saturday nights game.

qc

Aug 23, 2011

seinfeld_no_thanks.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad