Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
But he's not even playing in Providence is he?

The Bruins told him not to play out of respect and not to risk injury before the trade deadline. But after the trade deadline (if he's not traded), he's going to play in Providence or his contract will be voided.

It's been well-documented that's the plan.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If that’s the case the Bruins could terminate his contract for failing to report. The only thing that makes sense is that Backes is willing to play ball but they have not found a taker yet.

True but why still stay at the 8 teams. Help it move quicker, time is against both sides. Sweeney is trying but his hands are tied to a small chance one in 8 wants him and he wants to go. He can still play on a 4th line on most teams, maybe not a contender game in and game out anymore. If it was me and I still wanted to play then I would have said, heck anywhere and get my Subban PR channel going 24/7 of me skating.

Like someone else (Aussie guy, if I remember correctly) said on our board it looks like a trade and buyout. That is what it looks like it may well be, who knows. Just have to find a team that will and can take him. The cost to the Bruins will be a 1st round pick or prospect. So in that case it may be better to just let him stay and buy him out or try and move him again in summer after his bonus. Problem is we miss out on cap space to add 2 good players. Everyone else is loading up and the deal management gave him is biting them back. Losing a 1st will be a bummer when they may been that for a guy like Kreider or now with prices climbing even Palmieri.

Reactions: TCB and wintersej
Oct 18, 2011
The Bruins told him not to play out of respect and not to risk injury before the trade deadline. But after the trade deadline (if he's not traded), he's going to play in Providence or his contract will be voided.

It's been well-documented that's the plan.
"Out of respect"

But then require him to do so after after the deadline. K.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Basing this off the Datsyuk contract dump in '16 who had a higher cap hit and salary under a smaller cap. For reference Datsyuk's 7.5 under a 73 million dollar cap ceiling in '16-'17 would be 8.37m under the current cap ceiling.

Boston 1st+2nd + Backes
Team A (likely drafting 3-10) 2nd round pick

Team A turns a high second round pick into a late first and late second.
Ya but that’s just not true.
Holland pretty much fleeced Arizona. And the only reason Arizona did the trade was they thought the player they picked at 16 was god

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
"Out of respect"

This is what was said, just to clear up the confusion in here. I did not see the words "out of respect" coming from Sweeney in the statement which is bolded below - issued on Jan 30th. Anything else is just reporters putting their own spin on the situation.

“After speaking with David, we have agreed that it is in the best interest of David and the Bruins for him not to play in Providence at this time,” Bruins general manager Don Sweeney said in a statement released by the team. “David is fit and able to play, but in order to preserve all potential options for both David and the Bruins moving forward, we have decided this is the best course of action.”

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Fabbri for a zboril and third.
Backes... will cost you a first.

I just think Boston could get a better player for that package. In what world is Fabbri worth a first?

why not offer a similar deal for Palmieri? Might have to include a different prospect.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
"Out of respect"

I think it is out of respect. They are trying to move him. Who knows if they can and have it make sense. Obviously Backes would go to Providence the short remainder of this season. Too much money not to.

However, if they can’t move him for another kick in at the can in the NHL then ultimately they’ll have to send him to Providence for the meager Cap savings next year. Who knows about balance of this season post TDL if he doesn’t move.

Whether he wants to end his career on AHL buses for a whole season is a big question. Particularly as, by next season, I believe he will have had most of his money (again, I believe that’s right).

Tough situation but clearly Boston is trying to resolve problem with some respect. However, business is business. He no longer fits in Boston and sooner or later he’s on another NHL team or in Providence — or, I guess he hangs them up.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Ya but that’s just not true.
Holland pretty much fleeced Arizona. And the only reason Arizona did the trade was they thought the player they picked at 16 was god
IIRC Datsyuk didn't have to be paid and AZ was never near the cap back then. Helped the Wings out and didn't hurt the Yotes at all.

Also, Chychrun is arguably the teams best dman now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Depending on who they get I’d look at trading Backes at 50 this summer

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I just think Boston could get a better player for that package. In what world is Fabbri worth a first?

why not offer a similar deal for Palmieri? Might have to include a different prospect.
Because NJD would immediately decline. Coleman at 1.8m/yr returned a first and prospect, which was a recent first round pick. If NJ takes back the Backes contract, it would basically gift Palimieri at -1.35m/yr to Boston. Yeah MINUS 1.35m! They would expect substantially more, than what they have received for Coleman from Tampa.

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
I think for 1st and a prospect Bruins would find someone who takes Backes out of their hands completely. Getting Carter until 2022 would be just as bad.

Ok, I think Carter at 50% has decent value to a cup contending team. It's only for the next 2 years and on a good team he could be a 20/20 guy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Come on you get rid of Backes and get a cheap experienced goal scorer with versatility. And we get a little compensation. Work with me here!

They really don’t have a prospect pool that can afford that and the follow up trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad