Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Obviously Boston is deep, can fans shed some light on his play this year? Is he still and NHL player?
In my opinion, I think he could be an option on a team's 4th line. The biggest problem for Backes is his lack of speed. Last year he was riddled with injuries (concussion, diverticulitis) and still got 20 points. At some points last season I thought he looked decent, but you could tell he was declining. Under Cassidy, the Bruins preach playing fast, and the younger guys on the team took his spot in the lineup.

I wouldn't expect him to get into any fights or be as physical as he used to. If anything, his hockey IQ and leadership could maybe land him a spot on a roster. He can get to passing lanes to block passes, albeit not as fast as he used to, and could still be a decent option to a team's PK. I think his current game is better suited at center if the wingers are expected to get in on the forecheck.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Trade him to the Kings and send along a 2nd round pick

because the Kings love 2nd round picks

Hey Kings

hey

Hey I heard you love 2nd round picks, so we put a 2nd round pick in your 2nd round pick so you could pick while you pick, and here have a Backes too

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
The cost of moving Backes for a couple of months this season will be much, much higher than in off-season, when acquiring team with cap space can just buy him out.

Could cost a 1st round pick now, but mid-round pick over summer. Whats the rush? Bruins could win with the team they have now.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They also might want to keep Backes for the playoffs so they can insert him into the lineup for down by 4 goals in the final minutes gooning it up and crying in post game interview.

Reactions: JKG33

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The cost of moving Backes for a couple of months this season will be much, much higher than in off-season, when acquiring team with cap space can just buy him out.

Could cost a 1st round pick now, but mid-round pick over summer. Whats the rush? Bruins could win with the team they have now.

Why would the team buy him out? He actually salary next year is 4 million. His buyout price is 4 million in year one and 1 million in year two.

The rush is because they want to make sure they KNOW they have the cash to bring Krug back IF they are adding a winger with term. I think there are also might be tagging issues, but that's above my level of understanding.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

You have to play all of your cards and win during your window

Both the Kings and Hawks showed that the window is definite.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
This is a prime opportunity to cash in an extra 1st round pick, giving us 4 1st round pick in a pretty solid draft.

We have the cap space and we’re about to move a lot of $$$ in Simmonds, Vatanen and possibly Palmieri.

To me, this type of deal is a no brainer for Fitz and the Devils.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This is a prime opportunity to cash in an extra 1st round pick, giving us 4 1st round pick in a pretty solid draft.

We have the cap space and we’re about to move a lot of $$$ in Simmonds, Vatanen and possibly Palmieri.

To me, this type of deal is a no brainer for Fitz and the Devils.
i really like your pov ...... way to use that cap space.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Kase for Backes, Andersson, Beecher, 1st.

Essentially a 1st to take on Backes, and then Beecher + Andersson for Kase.

Anaheim is rumored to be asking a 1st for Kase but maybe don't get it due to the injuries. Boston likely would have to give up a 1st to be rid of Backes but obviously don't want to. Is this a reasonable compromise?

Son of a Beecher, I almost had it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad