Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
They are under the cap with Backes.

Unless you can fix the 2nd line issue no screaming need to move him.
honestly unless u have someone taking up that moved cap space like Leafs needed Marleau's for Marner's there's no real need to do it. just a waste of assets. not sure how the Bruin's UFA/RFA's this season is. but would assume to dump him it wouldn;t be cheap.
I think they will make a couple moves by TDL for that RW and I could even see Jumbo Joe come back for a playoff run and return to SJ or retire afterwards
I dont think Boston moves their 1st unless they get Kreider or something

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Has Backes even waived his NTC? If not, then that means Boston can trade him to only eight teams (and they're probably all up against the cap). I'm certain that the Bruins are stuck with him through the season, at least.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
honestly unless u have someone taking up that moved cap space like Leafs needed Marleau's for Marner's there's no real need to do it. just a waste of assets. not sure how the Bruin's UFA/RFA's this season is. but would assume to dump him it wouldn;t be cheap.
I think they will make a couple moves by TDL for that RW and I could even see Jumbo Joe come back for a playoff run and return to SJ or retire afterwards
I dont think Boston moves their 1st unless they get Kreider or something

They have Seids and Beleskey dead money leaving, extensions to Krug and Debrusk coming up.
I'd use Heinen+ Grzelcyk both needing extensions as trade chips to bring in needed players and cap relief.
Moore as well if someone bites.

Also Backed at 50% at summer should be an option, 2M in cash.

For someone like Kreider longterm they'd have to get rid of him.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't know if Detroit has been talked about as a partner but we are a prime team to take on a pure cap dump. We could literally just take the contract for prospects or picks.

I doubt Backes waves his NTC to come to Detroit though lolz

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Datsyuk's salary was zero. He didn't get paid by his NHL team after he left for the KHL - only his cap hit remained. The Coyotes actually saved real dollars in the Datsyuk deal, since they dumped the Joe Vitale LTIR contact on Detroit (who had to pay the portion of his salary not covered by insurance).

As a fyi, Joe Vitale's contract wasn't insured.

Not unusual, probably somewhere around half of the roster contracts are insured. Most of the bottom 6 forwards and 3rd pairing Dmen aren't insured.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
They have Seids and Beleskey dead money leaving, extensions to Krug and Debrusk coming up.
I'd use Heinen+ Grzelcyk both needing extensions as trade chips to bring in needed players and cap relief.
Moore as well if someone bites.

Also Backed at 50% at summer should be an option, 2M in cash.

For someone like Kreider longterm they'd have to get rid of him.
Whats the penalty for dumping his cap into the minors? if u could get by doing that without spending assets, prob the best direction. Backes is basically a dead body now. I'm sure he could still play but for 6M...lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Whats the penalty for dumping his cap into the minors? if u could get by doing that without spending assets, prob the best direction. Backes is basically a dead body now. I'm sure he could still play but for 6M...lol
I believe this season teams can save about $1.075 mill of the cap hit if they send a 1 way contract to the A.

so Boston is eating around a $4.925 mill cap hit while he’s officially assigned to the A but have agreed to let him not report.

but since Boston has to replace his roster spot with someone, the net savings is minimal if they bring up a $800-$900 cap hit player to take his spot.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

KingKempe9

Feb 18, 2019
What would you give the Kings in the way of Picks , prospects to take him - if better we can swap Carter for Backes plus (maybe we retain on Carter if you want to fee cap space) - any way it would benefit Boston and get the Kings prostpect/picks ?

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Has Backes even waived his NTC? If not, then that means Boston can trade him to only eight teams (and they're probably all up against the cap). I'm certain that the Bruins are stuck with him through the season, at least.

Is it 8 teams he can be traded to?

or is it 8 teams he CANT be traded to?

I thought it was the latter

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I think that's poor reasoning. No one with any pride would rather play in Providence than the NHL. He will undoubtedly waive to go anywhere.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If he does not expand his 8 team list and so far it is still has not, then buy him out in summer. Save the 1st or prospect the Bruins would lose to move him and bit the bullet.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
But he's not even playing in Providence is he?
No his agent mixed that idea saying he could get hurt down there. Should have went and at least skate with them as there is no social media showing he is, like he said he would. I expected to see him with a college team somewhere, heck anywhere - showing his is serious about playing. Looking like a buyout candidate if he stays or goes. Probably best with him having 10 concussions and all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If he does not expand his 8 team list and so far it is still has not, then buy him out in summer. Save the 1st or prospect the Bruins would lose to move him and bit the bullet.

his 8 teams becomes 16 in the summer

edit: and with his buyout hit being 4 million, you only save an extra million bucks vs sending him to Rhode Island.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
his 8 teams becomes 16 in the summer
Yeah I know but I expected him to open it up when the Bruins agreed to let him sit at home instead of playing in the AHL. I thought maybe it was a deal they leave him out of Providence and try and move him but he has to give them more then 8 teams to make a deal this year. Makes me think he is not that serious about playing this year at all.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah I know but I expected him to open it up when the Bruins agreed to let him sit at home instead of playing in the AHL. I thought maybe it was a deal they leave him out of Providence and try and move him but he has to give them more then 8 teams to make a deal this year. Makes me think he is not that serious about playing this year at all.

If that’s the case the Bruins could terminate his contract for failing to report. The only thing that makes sense is that Backes is willing to play ball but they have not found a taker yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad