Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ok, I think Carter at 50% has decent value to a cup contending team. It's only for the next 2 years and on a good team he could be a 20/20 guy.
Kovy's asking price was 2nd rounder. He is [arguably] a better player on a way way way better contract for a contender. So Carter is only a decent value for a team that is desperate and out of other options. If he had no term remaining sure he would be an ok option but he does. For 2 more years.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
LA Kings here. Let's make a deal.

Carter at 50% for Backes and a 1st and a prospect

35 Year-old Jeff Carter at two more years at over 5 mil. Too risky that the Bruins would playing this same game in the very near future while losing a first and a prospect for their troubles.............No Thanks.

Although I do like Carters game today, the fear and likely hood of him falling of that cliff is a deal breaker.

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
To me comparing him and Kovy are apples to oranges. But no worries. I have a feeling anywhere we trade Carter were gonna retain a lot of his contract and a 50ish pt center with his history is a bargain at 2.5 million. The added price was also the idea of taking a dump back.

Anyways good luck to you guys in the playoffs.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I have a feeling anywhere we trade Carter were gonna retain a lot of his contract and a 50ish pt center with his history is a bargain at 2.5 million.
He is 40ish pt player at best at this point and a question mark remains if he can be that for two more years. If history tells us anything he almost certainly cannot. He isn't a bottom 6 option either.

So once again, he would be a fine fit for some team for 1 PO run. But the likelihood is after that one run you will be stuck with the guy who is paid 2.5 mil but, as a contender, you would rather not have at all.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
LA Kings here. Let's make a deal.

Carter at 50% for Backes and a 1st and a prospect

Bruins need that 1st if they have any hope of getting Kreider. It was a bad deal from the get go by management. Losing the 1st and losing out on Kreider would make it end badly. They already lost Johansson last year because there was no cap room. I think Backes stays and plays in the AHL and they buy him out after his bonus in summer or trade him to be bought out by the new team.

Reactions: Nodoughtyboutit

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
He is 40ish pt player at best at this point and a question mark remains if he can be that for two more years. If history tells us anything he almost certainly cannot. He isn't a bottom 6 option either.

So once again, he would be a fine fit for some team for 1 PO run. But the likelihood is after that one run you will be stuck with the guy who is paid 2.5 mil but, as a contender, you would rather not have at all.

Well I disagree hes on pace for 38 points on the second to worse team in the league. Put him on a top 10 team and he could get to 50ish points. That combined with his versatility, leadership, and experience. Make a great depth add with a cheap cap hit. Hence the tweets that 3-4 teams have atleast looked into trading for him. Only time will tell.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Pageau for Backes, 2021 1st (unprotected), Studnicka
Would Ottawa package their 1st and their best forward prospect to dump Bobby Ryan's contract? For an upcoming UFA as well?

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If Ottawa was going for the cup and wanted to load up for the run. Maybe.
Why wouldn't Boston just trade their best prospect and a 1st for a top 6 RW with term? Backes isn't preventing the Bruins from adding 1 player at the deadline. It will if they are planning on adding more than one though. Even then, the Bruins will have options in the offseason if they want to get rid of Backes' contract.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
1st + Backes + 6th for a 5th from Minnesota (they always need a useless, old center to man the 2nd line with Koivu probably out). Maybe throw in a guy like Lodnia or Shaw.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
1st + Backes + 6th for a 5th from Minnesota (they always need a useless, old center to man the 2nd line with Koivu probably out). Maybe throw in a guy like Lodnia or Shaw.

If you need a useless aging center, just take him.

this is a no from me dog

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Why wouldn't Boston just trade their best prospect and a 1st for a top 6 RW with term? Backes isn't preventing the Bruins from adding 1 player at the deadline. It will if they are planning on adding more than one though. Even then, the Bruins will have options in the offseason if they want to get rid of Backes' contract.

I am just giving the Bruins an option to get rid of Backes, and still be able to trade for Kreider and Pageau.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
I am just giving the Bruins an option to get rid of Backes, and still be able to trade for Kreider and Pageau.
How bout you stop trying. Sweeney has proven he is capable of moving money around to get players here. He's not paying a 1st to move Backes by itself, so anymore chatter insisting such is silly and a waste of everyone's time.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Backes will likely retire if the Bruins don’t find a trade that makes sense. No sense giving up assets. I think Sweeney and Backes have made some sort of gentleman’s agreement. Maybe a position with the Bruin organization.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We've discussed a Marc Staal for David Backes basis fora trade on the Rangers board in the past. Staal has been a pretty good 3rd pairing defensman this year who also plays major PK minutes. He makes $5.7m on the cap next year vs $6m for Backes. The reason it may make SOME sense for the Rangers is they have depth at defense with some young players and I do believe they'd prefer to have a more veteran 4th liner than a veteran 3rd pairing d-man.

The numbers would have to be massaged to make it make sense for both teams. Perhaps the Rangers retain some money on Staal in order to get some form of asset? So they absorb Backes and a portion of Staal in exchange for something the Rangers would want that may for their long-term team.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Backes seems to have more concussions than goals lately, so I'm sure they can LTIR him.

If they can't sneak out of it that way and have to trade him, then it's going to cost a 1st and if it doesn't and doesnt cost a big time prospect for them, then give that guy a permanent job and poor leaf fans will have to deal with ridicule of their GM

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Just for fun, what if Ottawa took Backes and sent Boedker back the other way? It would save Boston money this year, and they could get out of the last year of Backes deal as Boedker is a UFA at years end.

what would a Boston add as a sweetener?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Backes will likely retire if the Bruins don’t find a trade that makes sense. No sense giving up assets. I think Sweeney and Backes have made some sort of gentleman’s agreement. Maybe a position with the Bruin organization.

Give up a free $4m by flat out retiring? He loves the Bruins franchise that much? If so, chalk it up to "Marchand exploding offensively in his 30's only after signing a $6m hit contract" type of good fortune.

Reactions: Merrrlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad